Post subject: oscars 2014
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:31 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
who gives a fuck they're just going to give it to clint eastwood again because fuck wes anderson am i right

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: oscars 2014
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:24 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Gimme your spiel on Selma. I kinda want to see it, even though lately I avoid these sorts of movies because I get too worked up. I also don't like historical dramas that veer to far from the actual history (see Tudors), and I'm a mild LBJ fan so there's that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:33 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Saw American Sniper last night, loved it. Bradley Cooper's work was definitely Oscar-worth in my novice eyes. I'm getting a sheep dog tattoo.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:20 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
I don't know I haven't seen Selma, but it's definitely weird that it gets nominated for Best Picture but no writing, acting, or directing awards. Did the Academy nominate it because it's a black movie and they didn't want to leave out the black movie? Or did they like it and just want to keep the individual awards in white hands?

The only BP nominee I saw was Budapest which is amazing and I'm super excited that Wes Anderson's getting mainstream respect. Birdman and Boyhood are the only two other nominees I was interested in seeing but they never hit my local major theater chains, so now that they'll get big national releases I'll probably see both of them.

I'm sure American Sniper is a fine movie, but I haven't seen a Clint Eastwood movie I've liked since Unforgiven (Gran Torino and Hereafter were ok, worth seeing once but that's it), and I'm pretty done with "Thank you for your service" American Military Hero movies. Jarhead and The Hurt Locker covered that territory pretty definitively and unless there's some kind of unique story (Saving Private Ryan style) we don't really need more American jingoism to get represent the best of American culture.

I thought The Lego Movie was amazing and can't believe it isn't in the animated category, and I thought Interstellar was amazing and can't believe it isn't nominated for Best Picture, Actor (McCounaghey), Supporting Actor (Chastain, Hathaway), Director, and Cinematography. They did get the sound design and mixing awards for Interstellar right, because the audio in that movie is goddamn amazing.

I want Budapest to win because I legitimately think it's the best movie in a great career, but Clint will win because the Academy doesn't realize he's not going to die before he makes 100 more boring movies.

Offline Profile