It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:20 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Debate
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:50 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I am surprised that there is not a post on this yet.

>> Transcript: First presidential debate, Obama vs. Romney <<

Other stuff.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The Debate
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:00 PM 
I schooled the old school.

I generally felt like Romney presented himself better than Obama did. I thought he seemed more ready with his answers and more sure of what he wanted to get across.

Unfortunately for Romney though, even though I thought his presentation was better, I still agree much more with the substance of Obama's views than I do Romney's, so my vote doesn't really change.

I know this gets said every debate, but I hate hate HATE how politicians don't answer the specific question being asked. Both sides do this, and it drives me nuts. I don't care if it takes all night-- I would love a tough moderator that refused to go on until a direct answer is made, no matter how long it takes to get it. Lock them in and make them do it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:12 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Couple more.

First, you got to see Rush Limbaugh's spin on this.

The Media Freak Out is Fun to Watch

And, Al gores excuse for the president.

Best line:
Quote:
ROMNEY: So if the tax plan he described were a tax plan I was asked to support, I'd say absolutely not. I'm not looking for a $5 trillion tax cut. What I've said is I won't put in place a tax cut that adds to the deficit. That's part one. So there's no economist that can say Mitt Romney's tax plan adds $5 trillion if I say I will not add to the deficit with my tax plan. Number two, I will not reduce the share paid by high-income individuals.

I know that you and your running mate keep saying that and I know it's a popular thing to say with a lot of people, but it's just not the case. Look, I've got five boys. I'm used to people saying something that's not always true, but just keep on repeating it and ultimately hoping I'll believe it. But that -- that is not the case. All right? I will not reduce the taxes paid by high-income Americans.

Runner Up:
Quote:
About 35 minutes into the debate, during a conversation about how to reform the tax code in a way that increases economic growth and does not increase the deficit, Obama began to hit Romney as a champion for tax breaks for oil and gas companies.

"I’ve identified areas where we can, right away, make a change that I believe would actually help the economy," Obama said. "The oil industry gets $4 billion a year in corporate welfare. Basically, they get deductions that those small businesses that Governor Romney refers to, they don’t get. Now, does anybody think that ExxonMobil needs some extra money when they’re making money every time you go to the pump? Why wouldn’t we want to eliminate that?"

Romney pounced.

"First of all, the Department of Energy has said the tax break for oil companies is $2.8 billion a year. And it’s actually an accounting treatment, as you know, that’s been in place for a hundred years."

"It’s time to end it," Obama said, cutting in.

"And in one year, you provided $90 billion in breaks to the green energy world. Now, I like green energy as well, but that’s about 50 years’ worth of what oil and gas receives," Romney said. He added: "And you say Exxon and Mobil. Actually, this $2.8 billion goes largely to small companies, to drilling operators and so forth."

Romney then added that under his tax reform plan, if he is successful in getting the corporate tax rate lowered, the $2.8 billion oil subsidy is "probably not going to survive."

"But don’t forget, you put $90 billion -- like 50 years worth of breaks -- into solar and wind," Romney said, continuing that some of those investments were total failures, like Solyndra.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:19 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Fribur wrote:
I know this gets said every debate, but I hate hate HATE how politicians don't answer the specific question being asked. Both sides do this, and it drives me nuts. I don't care if it takes all night-- I would love a tough moderator that refused to go on until a direct answer is made, no matter how long it takes to get it. Lock them in and make them do it.

Politician dance is what they call that, they will rarely ever give a direct answer. Better to be middle ground than actually take a stance on any subject.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:20 PM 

To help counteract the ridiculous Rush stuff posted earlier, here is the analysis of the debate from a truth telling perspective by the non-partisan factcheck.org

http://factcheck.org/2012/10/dubious-de ... larations/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:17 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Also from factcheck.org:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:32 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

EQ1: Xantheus
WoW: Xantheus
I love how the Republicans like to throw out the gas prices quip. Yeah, gas was 1.89 when he took office. It was also 4.11 six months before that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:03 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
Plus I'm not sure any President has his finger on the gas price trigger, nor would he double the price because he wants to.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:04 PM 

It's cool though, because we've only got 6 more years until we've eliminated our dependence on foreign oil.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:00 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
To bad not all americans are full educated on the facts and must depend on television to get their answers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:00 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

CakvalaSC wrote:
To bad not all americans are full educated on the facts and must depend on television to get their answers.

you mean to tell me THERE is a different way to get facts other than watching TV?!? haha

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:32 PM 

Quote:
I love how the Republicans like to throw out the gas prices quip. Yeah, gas was 1.89 when he took office. It was also 4.11 six months before that.

It's not as if gas prices peak during the summer months or anything, either.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:32 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

EQ1: Xantheus
WoW: Xantheus
1.89 to 4.11 is not a summer peak you idiot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:32 AM 

Gas peaks in summer?! I'm going to invest everything I have into gas/oil this winter and cash in come summer.

Offline Profile