It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:24 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for some ideas.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:56 AM 
I schooled the old school.

Good day everyone! I was hoping to look for a few ideas to help me implement a system for my students online. I haven't had much luck so far finding a way to do this online without spending a lot of money.

Here's what I want to create. I would like to create a list of skills for each of my students. I would like them to be able to go online, log in to something, and see what skills they have accomplished, and what skills they still can work on. I prefer for this to be private, where students can't look at other student's skills, but if it had to be public I could manage. On the back end, I would like to be able to both edit what skills they have accomplished, and edit the list of skills themselves for all students with a minimum of work.

Here's what makes this hard. I am a school teacher, and I have basically no budget. I need to be able to do this for free, with the resources I already have available. I have Microsoft Access, for example, and I could do this with it, except that it wasn't designed to be accessible online. I haven't figured out a way to do it in google docs without creating individual pages for each student, and that means if I change the list of skills I would have to change each page individually for 100+ students.

I looked at Zoho creater, but their free version only allows 2 users, so the resulting application would have to be public for my students (one user would be me, the other would be a login for my students). Admittedly, Zoho creater is a little intimidating to me after looking at it for 20 minutes or so, as well.

I have edmodo, a weebly website, a computer, Microsoft Office, and a willingness to learn.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Help? I know this is a smart community :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:21 AM 

The students all have Microsoft Access as well on their laptops (our school gives everyone a laptop when they are freshmen to use). Maybe I could create a database with Access with the correct permissions, then share it with them via Dropbox? If I kept the updated database stored on Dropbox, they could load up the program and access the database that way...

hrmm

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:45 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Do you know how to install any PHP scripting?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:03 PM 

unfortunately no.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:13 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Office365 for Education has a totally free "A1" plan that's replaced the live@edu program. Building something like this is painfully easy in SharePoint, and give you room to add workflow, notifications, etc to your existing ideas. If there's an issue with the paperwork or something preventing you from using it, let me know and I can slice up some of my SharePoint 2010 for your use (your own logins/domains/etc) free of charge. I'm actually currently doing the same for my daughter's charter school, but on a larger scale.

-Josh

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:26 PM 

I know almost nothing about Sharepoint... where could I go to begin to learn about it? I can start google searching.

My tech guy at school pointed out that I could create linked google spreadsheets, where if I changed the skills listed in a master document, it would change all of the spreadsheets at once. Then I could share the docs individually to each student, and load up each document when I need to mark their skills.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:09 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Send me a PM when you have a few minutes and I'll get you hooked up with everything you need. That goes for if you decide on Google Docs as well. I have to know pretty much every form of collaboration known to man (and Europeans as well), so I've got you covered on the training materials.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:23 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Use Google Docs.

Offline Profile