It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:39 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Secret World
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:32 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

No one here is playing Funcom's latest MMO? I'm thinking about giving it a try in the near future for the hell of it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The Secret World
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:12 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Fuck Funcom.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:24 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

That's what a few guildmates said too, but they are really liking the game tho!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:59 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
This shit was $35 on Amazon and looked interesting so I bought it and will have it sometime next week. Should be good for the free month.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:43 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
It's pretty much the best mmo ever.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:53 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Givin Wetwillies wrote:
It's pretty much the best mmo ever.

I can't tell if you are mocking the game, or you are telling the truth haha

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:22 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

From what I've seen, the writing and quests are amazing, but the MMO-ness of it is blander than a ballsac.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:28 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

I started playing the game tonight, and it "feels" more like an offline single player RPG game than an MMO to me. If the game was not online, I dont think it would even really matter at all. I'm loving the adult story line tho.

They use the F word :snakeman:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:11 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Evilundead Afterlife wrote:
I started playing the game tonight, and it "feels" more like an offline single player RPG game than an MMO to me. If the game was not online, I dont think it would even really matter at all. I'm loving the adult story line tho.

They use the F word :snakeman:

Was about to pick this up on a neighbor's recommendation, then I read this post.

Is it like Guild Wars where everything is instanced? Is that how it feels single playerish?

I really disliked Guild Wars cause of that. Just personal taste after 6 years in Norrath.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:29 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

I only have played maybe two hours, but the game is designed with small levels (or zones if you want to call them), where you follow your story line like you would most RPG games. The areas I have been in were not that big, and even tho you do see people walking around...there are instances were your char is alone (how your char starts, the story cut scene and the first Tokyo dream level are solo events). So yes, I do think everything is instanced in this game. But I have not got that far yet...so things might change later on.

There are a lot of good things about the game tho. Maybe you can check it out at your neighbor's house if you can. The Secret World does not have a huge open ended world like let's say WoW or even SWTOR to some degree (Star Wars has planets but each one is still open world design). WoW feels like an MMO, and I thought SWTOR felt like a single player game, but The Secret World takes it to the next level.

I'm trying to think of games that reminds me of The Sercet World to compare to. Indigo Prophecy came to my mind at first. The theme and story telling are close (not the gameplay, just the over all feeling). Or some of the BioWare RPG games too. But Indigo Prophecy is what I keep thinking about because of the weird stuff you see in game haha.

I hope that helps you understand what I'm saying, Garborg. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of very cool things about The Secret World and some of it's features...like the way the game is integrated with the internet, and it even has video helpers telling the players about the different features of the game. Very cool stuff indeed.

I think The Secret World is worth buying just for the story content alone...and just think of the online elements as a bonus :D

P.S. One of my guild mates said this below when I talked to him about the "single player feeling" of the game.

Quote:
It does and it doesn't. Most of the time, like in WoW and SWTOR, you end up just running from quest area to quest area. But sometimes you'll end up just randomly grouping with people for a mission or two, and of course there are the dungeons in every area.

I think what makes it feel more like a single player RPG is the attention to detail, the voice acting, and the cut scenes. For some reason the lack of those things in WoW didn't make it feel so enclosed, which is kind of odd to me. I feel that with WoW's move towards introducing a lot more cinematics with Cataclysm, it got a little more "single player" for me.

But the area's are connected via your main storyline. It covers the three areas in the Solomon Islands (Kingsmouth, The Savage Coast, Blue Mountain) and continues to Egypt then Transylvania. I don't know what comes after that though since I'm getting my ass kicked in the last tier of the Egypt storyline I need to pick up some more AP to work on an AE deck for that part.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:11 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

It's actually kind of cool.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:14 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

It's good. Just not sure how long it will keep my interest, too soon to tell yet.
As it's kinda a new progression concept, it's fun figuring things out. Hope everything doesn't turn out to be cookie cutter in the end. Playing Fist/Blood right now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:56 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Garborg wrote:
It's good. Just not sure how long it will keep my interest, too soon to tell yet.
As it's kinda a new progression concept, it's fun figuring things out. Hope everything doesn't turn out to be cookie cutter in the end. Playing Fist/Blood right now.

Are you still playing the game, Garborg

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:05 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

I managed to not play it for a week and canceled. Once I finished the quests from Kingsmouth (?) I felt like I'd seen what the game had to offer and didn't care for much more.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:29 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Call me a pessimist, but this game seems like one of those games where the people who "love" it are really just trying to convince themselves the game is good, rather than the game actually being good. Outside of a few original ideas with character progression, and the game having a mature feel to it, I just don't see what else it has to offer to keep people truly interested. ESPECIALLY once Guild Wars 2 & the Panda expansion both come out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:15 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Yeah the story stuff was kind of cool but certainly not something that would keep any non-MMO fans' interest for an extended period. If you really like pressing 1 and then 2 and then 3 and then 1, this is a more unique way to do that, but it's really just pressing 1 and then 2 and then 3 and then 1.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:47 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Neesha the Necro wrote:
Call me a pessimist, but this game seems like one of those games where the people who "love" it are really just trying to convince themselves the game is good, rather than the game actually being good. Outside of a few original ideas with character progression, and the game having a mature feel to it, I just don't see what else it has to offer to keep people truly interested. ESPECIALLY once Guild Wars 2 & the Panda expansion both come out.

Are you going to give Guild Wars 2 a try, Neesha?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:58 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

No. It looks like a zerg fest (no holy trinity is dumb, in my opinion) where "pvp" includes "melee that door for 5 minutes".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:12 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Well I think all classes have healing I think etc. Who knows but it's free-to-play haha might be worth checking out

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:24 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Yea, the holy trinity is the traditional roles of tank/dps/healer/etc. I don't like the idea that anyone can do anything at any time. That's just a personal preference. Other people will be glad for the change and welcome it with open arms. I ain't those people.

Also, I have yet to see anything that really resembles strategy in the game. From what I have seen, the realm vs. realm vs. realm is exactly what I said. Zerg and beat on doors (with lots of flashy spell effects). I'm sure there's more to it. I'm sure I'd have a little fun with the game for a little while. I just really don't think it is worth investing my time playing it.

Since this is a TSW thread, I can say the same thing about that game. I don't like the spell effects in the game. I don't like how the combat & animations look. I do like the concept of a "real world" MMORPG. I do like the look of the NPC models, and the graphics in general (although dungeons or whatever usually look way too dark). I just think at the end of the day, it's not something I'd want to play in a few months time. There's a reason pretty much every person who was live streaming the game has already stopped playing it. Hell, I think SWTOR still has a bigger following than TSW.

Offline Profile