It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:59 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Day Z
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:27 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I saw this game review online. It looks very interesting.

Day Z is a Zombie Mod for the ArmA II (A hyper-realistic combat simulator.) This is the first time I have heard of it.

Here is some Game-Play Video, it is funny as hell.

This is the review that struck my interest in this game.

Quote:
This Might be the Greatest Zombie Game Ever Made

I don't like most zombie games because, well, they're not really zombie games. They're action games using the texture of a walking corpse as your opponent. From Resident Evil to Left 4 Dead, they don't really capture the essence of a good zombie yarn like Dawn of the Dead or The Walking Dead manage.

So it was with a little bit of excitement this week when I sat down with DayZ, a new zombie mod for ArmA II, a hyper-realistic combat simulator that also happens to be one of my favourite PC games of all time.

If you've never played ArmA II, it's an open world shooter where you control a single character who can...do whatever they want. Shoot a rifle, fly a plane, drive a tank, whatever. Only catch is nearly all those things handle and react as they would in the real world. So shooting somebody from 100 yards away, a mundane act in Call of Duty, becomes something to celebrate in ArmA. Especially since damage is also realistic.

So, into this framework comes DayZ, a multiplayer experience which has you taking the role of a zombie apocalypse survivor, stranded on an island that's populated with hundreds of zombies and dozens of other humans. Some of whom are there to help you, while others are there to kill you and take your stuff.

It's a bleak, brutal game, playing like some strange hybrid of STALKER, Fallout and Left 4 Dead. There's no map until you actually find one. No prompts showing you the location of other survivors. All you hear is the wind and the birds. Because it's built on such a realistic engine, if you want to go somewhere, you have to walk. If you want to pick stuff up, you can only take what you can carry.

If that wasn't making things hard enough, the mod's developers have added extra survival elements, like the need to eat and drink water. Two things which you'll want to do, since you take the role of a persistent player; leave a game and, if you're still alive, you'll come back in the same spot with the same gear. Die, though, and that's it. The weapons and tins of beans you worked so hard to get are gone.

If that doesn't sound like fun, it's not! Fun isn't the right word to use for this. It's scary, definitely, especially if you're stupid enough to walk into a large town by yourself. It's also boring, a game full of long sequences where you're doing little but walking around an island with nothing but the wind and birds to keep you company. What I felt most though was a sense of fascination. The game wasn't in killing zombies. It was in interacting with the other survivors.

While there's no map, group chat functions are still available, meaning rudimentary directions can be given. Naturally, this usually entails survivors broadcasting their location so others can join them. Sometimes this means they'll do just that, and help each other out, sharing bandages, ammunition and food. Other times, it's a trick, and they're assholes luring you into a trap so they can take you out and steal your stuff.

In my first game, I'd managed six kills before dying. I wasn't killed by a zombie, or another human; I'd been helpfully told where a rifle was, but before the veteran could say "DON'T CLIMB THAT LADDER WITH YOUR PISTOL DRAWN OR YOU'LL DIE", I'd climbed that ladder with my pistol drawn and, thanks to a bug (the mod is still in alpha), fell and died. Regrettable, but still, he was just trying to help!

The second time? A survivor told me he was down at a dock. I rushed to join him, met up, exchanged awkward hellos and went off to find others. Two seconds later, we're both dead, another veteran having overheard our conversation, hunted us down and stolen what little equipment we had worth salvaging.

It can be very frustrating the first time it happens, but then, isn't this exactly what would happen in a real zombie apocalypse? Some people would band together, sure, but others would certainly try and tear us apart, a selfish desire to survive overriding their need for safety in numbers.

There aren't really sides in this conflict. You just assume the role through your behaviour in the game. It's so damn simple, yet it's what transforms this from being a bleak and interesting mod into something compelling. So compelling I've been playing it almost non-stop. So compelling it's sitting minimised on my taskbar right now, waiting for me to finish writing this so I can get back to it.

If you've got ArmA II and ArmA II Operation Arrowhead, head below to get the mod, bearing in mind it's still a little rough around the edges (you'll need some help installing it as well). If you don't, you should maybe look into it. This is definitely worth it.

Oh, and at bottom is a short clip I recorded. There's not a single zombie in it. There is, however, an asshole taking potshots at me and my fellow survivors. It also shows how barren, and yet tense, this thing can be.

The Video mentioned at the end of the story, along with other Vids and links to other stuff is in the actual story that is linked to in the above title.

Also, scroll down and read some of the comments.

Anyway, I am interested in this. Does anyone have the ArmA II Setup or have you tried this mod? Any thoughts?

Thanks.
-Worthy

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Day Z
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:20 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

That look like a lot of fun!

I just purchased Arma II Combined Operations on Amazon Downloads 50% off.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UV8RRE/
15$ is not bad for a coop/PVP zombie survival. Hopefully with the popularity rising the mod beta will fix glitches that seem to crop here and there.

Cant wait to try this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:17 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05 ... -on-day-z/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:47 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Good Story, thanks Neesha.

Quote:
Yet few people have complained about that. Instead, they’ve marvelled that a game could be so unforgiving. And that its developer could be intent on making it even more difficult. (He just introduced infections, and the need for antibiotics.) The reason for this is simple, and seen time and again with games like Dark Souls: the experiences that ask little of us often give little back, and come with little sense of achievement when beaten. The ones that challenge us, and defeat us, are the ones which make us revel in their mastery.

That's why EQ was popular when it first came out. It was not easy. Dying meant something. Remember your CR Armor?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:03 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

I played just a little bit (thanks Diablo) but so far this is great. I feel playing EQ again when I come across a can of pasta. Too bad I fell down a rooftop and broke my legs and had to stay there until I bleed out in the rain... Trying to push me up with my hands and looking around if I could agro a zombie so my misery could end faster :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:29 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Watching the videos, and even your little story there, it sounds more like a movie than a game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:47 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Tranthas
WoW: Niali
We'd play it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:41 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07 ... your-life/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:50 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
This'll be the first FPS type game I've purchased, but the Z Day mod looks incredible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:26 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

IGN Video Review. (Not YouTube.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:21 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Watch to end.