For the old school!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The Last of Us
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:32 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Tranthas
WoW: Niali
Looks interesting, but I'm not sure what's supposed to be impressive about any modern system not dropping frames in a pre-rendered 1080p video.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:01 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Except it is not pre-rendered apparently.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:19 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Yeah that is in-game graphics it seems. The game looks awesome tho

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:10 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

...No, folks, that is not in-game graphics.
Well, it is, in the sense that FF7 FMV cut-scenes are in-game graphics.

There are zero rendering calculations happening while that video plays, folks. It's a static HD movie. The fact that it plays during the game is not impressive. Any console of this generation can play a beautiful 1080p video and not drop any frames, and you could probably get enough horsepower out of a PS2 to do the same.

Show me gameplay footage, which is dynamic because it's responding to my controller input and is impossible to pre-render, and we can start benchmarking performance. Bragging about static content being in-game was valid last generation, because it was plausible that we'd spend money on a console that might not be able to do it. Today it's just preying on the public's limited understanding of the mechanics, possibly an understanding left over from that last generation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:13 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I guess it pisses me off because they're exaggerating when they don't need to. The PS3 offers better video quality than its competitors already; Sony's publishers could drive that point honestly without misleading their customers and press the same advantage. This is pointlessly dishonest, and can only be explained by the moral inertia of marketing policy. In a case where deception was not necessary, it was used anyway because, well, why re-tool the whole factory?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:02 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
I was sold when it said "Naughty Dog" in the trailer. It will be just as amazing as Uncharted 1, 2 and 3. That's the great thing about PS3 exclusives. They're usually fun. They've come a long way since back in the days of whoring out Crash Bandicoot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:17 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
This is in-engine footage, not gameplay footage. There's a difference between in-engine and pre-rendered cutscenes. The whole game is going to look like that. If you have any doubt, check Uncharted 2 and 3, two fo the best-looking games that have ever been made.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:01 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Uncharted 2 and 3 were indeed gorgeous. The credit belongs with the developers who wrote the engine, not the designers of the PS3. Now, look back at who's getting the credit in the case of The Last of Us.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:03 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Eh, I know what I sound like. I just really hate the marketing tactics Sony has taken lately, and really, this game is no exception either way. It's not an especially egregious offense by their ususal standards, nor is it something anyone can realistically protect from the usual complaints.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:30 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
How dare a company try to show their product in the best light possible! Relax, dude. Life will go on.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:32 AM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Those graphics really do look good for being live rendered. Almost makes me want to buy a PS3 game, almost.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:21 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Eat a dick, Neesha.
Cak, they didn't say it was live-rendered. They said it was shown on a PS3. Where are we getting the dynamically-rendered thing? Could you play interactively with video swinging around like that? I'm impressed with the player's ability to run in complete lockstep with whichever character he's not controlling -- it's not clear in the video.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:10 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

And here's why you should not post where you work in an internet message board. You're making me dislike Microsoft more than I already do.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:33 AM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Tranthas wrote:
Eat a dick, Neesha.
Cak, they didn't say it was live-rendered. They said it was shown on a PS3. Where are we getting the dynamically-rendered thing? Could you play interactively with video swinging around like that? I'm impressed with the player's ability to run in complete lockstep with whichever character he's not controlling -- it's not clear in the video.

You tell Neesha to eat a dick then comment on my post? (I found this funny)

What I ment by Live rendered as I do not know the terminology on when they use the ingame graphics engine to do the video and not a pre-rendered video. (does that make sense?)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:52 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
in-engine footage (what this video is) is different from in-game footage (aka actual gameplay versus cutscene)

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:13 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

This is the worst thread.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:29 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Tranthas wrote:
Eat a dick, Neesha.

I'm sorry you don't like good video games.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:18 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Quote:
in-engine footage (what this video is) is different from in-game footage (aka actual gameplay versus cutscene)
This, right here, is my point. Just because it was displayed on a PS3, that doesn't mean that the calculations that come up with that image are done in realtime, any more than your DVD player has to build every frame! It's already encoded, and the player just repeats it rote from the disc. The result looks very much like incredible performance, and isn't.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:20 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

(Nothing personal, Cak. I have a new strategy for dealing with Neesha's naked trolling; pay no attention yourself.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:21 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Joxur -- I am not a Microsoft evangelist. If you wanna hate on them because of something I said, that's on you -- I've already made it clear that I don't speak for the company.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:56 AM 

The second you identify yourself as an employee, you are representing that company. Whether you like it or not. Especially when discussing matters that deal directly with the line of work you're in for the company.

Basic stuff here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:20 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Tranthas wrote:
(Nothing personal, Cak. I have a new strategy for dealing with Neesha's naked trolling; pay no attention yourself.)

It's not naked trolling, you're just being a complete dumbass about this topic. Seriously, it's a trailer for a video game. You act like they are walking to your house and slapping you in the face because it may or may not be actual-in-game-real-time footage. The horror, the horror! We get it already, you work for Microsoft. Your shit no longer stinks, congrats!

Go back and read your posts in this thread and ask yourself if you're taking things a little too seriously.

it's just preying on the public's limited understanding of the mechanics
it pisses me off because they're exaggerating when they don't need to
This is pointlessly dishonest
The credit belongs with the developers who wrote the engine, not the designers of the PS3. Now, look back at who's getting the credit in the case of The Last of Us
Eh, I know what I sound like. I just really hate the marketing tactics Sony has taken lately
It's not an especially egregious offense by their ususal standards, nor is it something anyone can realistically protect from the usual complaints.
The result looks very much like incredible performance, and isn't.

THEY ARE BEING POINTLESSLY DISHONEST BY PREYING ON THE POOR PUBLIC AND THE PUBLIC HAS NO WAY TO REALISTICALLY PROTECT ITSELF FROM SONY'S EXAGGERATION AND THEIR ATTEMPTS TO TAKE UNDESERVED CREDIT!!#!~ :rock:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:03 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Neesha, you hear a lot that I didn't say.

Look, if you don't like your job, quit. But get the fuck off my case.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:10 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Givin Wetwillies wrote:
I was sold when it said "Naughty Dog" in the trailer. It will be just as amazing as Uncharted 1, 2 and 3. That's the great thing about PS3 exclusives. They're usually fun. They've come a long way since back in the days of whoring out Crash Bandicoot.

How was uncharted 3? I loved 1 and 2.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:45 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Uncharted 3 is a fantastic game, but you'll definitely want to take a break from Uncharted between 2 and 3, because it tends to feel samey in close proximity to 2.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:46 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Tranthas wrote:
Neesha, you hear a lot that I didn't say.

Probably in other cases, but literally everything he just said was taken from your posts in this very thread.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:09 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Do I need to point out where he added more?

Quote:
We get it already, you work for Microsoft. Your shit no longer stinks, congrats!
Quote:
THEY ARE BEING POINTLESSLY DISHONEST BY PREYING ON THE POOR PUBLIC AND THE PUBLIC HAS NO WAY TO REALISTICALLY PROTECT ITSELF FROM SONY'S EXAGGERATION AND THEIR ATTEMPTS TO TAKE UNDESERVED CREDIT!!#!~

I can speak for myself without assistance, thank you -- I don't need an assistant to tell me what I'm saying, particularly if they make it up out of nowhere or exaggerate things into absurd distortions of the original.

I don't know why anyone would think I'm being elitist about my work. No one reports to me, I don't get to travel, and you'll never see me in the credits for anything. Even this is an improvement, though. At least he's not calling me a liar anymore. I think he's taking this angle just because he doesn't like me, and there's nothing else to throw.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:08 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I don't recall calling you a liar, but maybe I did. That has nothing to do with this thread. As I said, you're just being an idiot and being way dramatic about something as stupid as a game trailer. As for your Microsoft job, really I could care less. Ever since you made the "big reveal" that you work there (guessing it's a new job?), you've seemed more douchey and know-it-all-about-gamey than before. I quoted exactly what you said in this thread, and poked a little fun by combining all of the emo into one retarded sentence.

PS: Please don't slit your wrists if the next God of War trailer doesn't contain actual gameplay footage. Those folks at Sony just don't know how to play by the rules.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:57 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Not a new job. I started in August of 2008, and you reacted by accusing me of hiding from an argument behind an "imaginary NDA".

I also didn't make any big reveal. You didn't like me in the first place, so the idea that you're clinically measuring out exact quantities of... doucheyness? is just silly. You've always done this with me; it's not about anything that I've ever been able to pin down for certain, you just always follow up my posts with shit-talk when you bother at all. This is why I've adopted the eat-a-dick stance for dealing with you; I already know the thrust of whatever you're going to say, because it's all you ever say where I'm concerned, regardless of the topic or content involved.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:37 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

randy wrote:
Uncharted 3 is a fantastic game, but you'll definitely want to take a break from Uncharted between 2 and 3, because it tends to feel samey in close proximity to 2.

Yeah, after posting that I'd realized I had never finished Uncharted 2 and went and played the last 2 or 3 hours I had left. Absolutely amazing. I still can't believe how great the animation and voice acting is. The characters had me cracking up with their back and forth banter.

Uncharted 3 does seem a lot like 2, and while the backgrounds, voice acting, animation and story are superb, the fights seems repetitive and they have far too few character models to work with. How many times I gotta fight the same big bald headed british brute? That said I played like 6 hours straight =P

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:43 AM 

Uncharted 3 was great, but for some reason I had a hard time finishing it. I liked 2 better.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:13 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

joxur wrote:
Uncharted 3 was great, but for some reason I had a hard time finishing it. I liked 2 better.

Yeah I played way too many hours of it last night. I'm now stuck on the jugernaut with the m60 and grenades. Guy is a turd.

*edit* Beat the damn game on normal last night. End felt rushed. Ending cinematic was shorter than most cut scenes and fairly boring.

It felt like one of those great movies that ends and has you saying..."wait...THAT'S the end already?"

Uncharted 3 had amazing graphics and environment, but 2 was just better.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:18 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

This game keeps impressing indeed!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:25 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

E3 gameplay footage of this looked pretty awesome.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:21 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Tranthas wrote:
Looks interesting, but I'm not sure what's supposed to be impressive about any modern system not dropping frames in a pre-rendered 1080p video.

yeah I had to quote it ;)

oh and go to the video and play it in fullscreen its much better

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:59 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Any surprise Tranthas hasn't been here to say he was wrong about pretty much everything?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:47 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Eat a dick, Neesha.

I wasn't wrong about anything. The gameplay footage being pretty doesn't mean that the original video becomes somehow un-pre-rendered retroactively. I didn't say the game would suck, or even that it would be ugly -- I just wanted to see gameplay footage, and now we have it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:39 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Nice try. Humility is a good characteristic in a person. It is not surprising that you are lacking it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:25 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Eat a dick, Neesha.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:16 AM 

That last gameplay video actually looks significantly worse in terms of graphics compared to the first post. You can tell pretty easily if you look closely at the lighting, textures, and re-used(per the engine)/less fluid character animations. Seems pretty unlikely that, even using the engine for a cutscene, it would use animations that are as unique/stylistic as the first video. Not much indication of in-game physics from that compared to the gameplay vid, either.

Check out the dynamic leaves/sunglare in all its glory in the first vid and tell me you see something similar in the gameplay vid =p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:20 AM 

Just as example: 3:28 ish in the gameplay video. Epic flat, polygonal leaves!

Offline Profile