It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:57 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:14 PM 
I schooled the old school.

"just look at everything.... Its OBVIOUS!" isn't an example. Is not obvious to me given that it seems to me he has done a pretty good job.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:29 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
Is there supposed to be something worth the time to answer in there?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:43 AM 

Yes. We still await an example. No exampe then?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:53 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
Gave several, pick the one you are most comfortable with and shoot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:15 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

In other words, you don't know but it's Obama so it must be wrong. Gotcha.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:28 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Pretty sure you're just being trolled, Sarissa. You gave clearcut examples of countries whereby our engagements with them have been plastered all over the major networks, with almost every significant political analysis pointing to them as foreign policy blunders(on both sides). You elaborated on the Syrian example, which was point-blank ignored. You been trolled.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:38 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I didn't know that rattling off a list of nations and then saying "go watch the news" qualified as clearcut examples.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:40 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Besides, we all know Obama can't win on foreign policy with you guys. He can either go full force into a nation that is perceived as being "bad" and you'll blast him for getting us into another war. He can take the Libya approach and use the least amount of resources and lives to accomplish the goal and you'll blast him for the actions of whoever is in charge after the regime falls. He can do nothing and you'll blast him for standing by and being weak while the regime kills citizens.

So the entire thing is pointless and you know it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:57 PM 

Funny how "you guys" changes... some of those guys were obama supporters if I recall. I guess you guys is anyone who criticizes obama. you may not feel they offered enough substance, but you've offered none.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:34 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

What substance do you want me to offer? Like I said, no matter what Obama does it'll be indefensible in your eyes. Personally, for instance, I found the Libya strategy to be very effective for us as a nation. No long occupation or our soldiers dying. But it gets painted as a "weak hand" on Obamas' part and a bad foreign relations move.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:11 PM 

Now that's not so hard.

I personally did not like it. I don't believe in deposing dictators with military action unless it's a threat to the US.

Furthermore, I don't really understand the the principle behind it. Why intervene in Libya but not Syria? Feels so... random.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:13 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
I'm for once 100% with Joxur. We have no business interfering in the internal affairs of sovereign nations, regardless of your personal opinion on their legitimacy.

Publicly decrying them is one thing, and something I can accept, but military action isn't something we should be so free with.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:14 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

On the other hand, I suppose I am being a little unfair. I'm sure not everyone hates everything Obama does, just a lot of people hate different things. Then I hear each of them and bundle them all together into a "you guys" group that - combined - hates everything Obama does.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:20 PM 

To be fair, I hate very little that Obama has done. What I do hate that he's done burns with the fury of a thousand suns.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:54 PM 

There was no trolling there. Here... I will give you good examples of Obama diplomacy. Just scan through the news. Look at how we're handling Iran, China, Russia, Sudan, and Syria compared to Lybia.

Apparently that is good enough. Bovinity voiced my frustration. It feels like no matter what he does some people will spin it into a huge negative because he isn't their guy. Or they will stay nice and vague so they can't be pinned down. It makes it so hard to not get frustrated and cynical about the while process we use to elect leaders.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:06 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
So it looks to be Obama vs. Romney? Does it really matter anymore, they seem to just be the scape goat for the consensus failures.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:39 AM 

I don't really hate Obama. I've chilled quite a bit since 08. But everything I thought would happen has happened. None of the "changing Washington" promises came through, so we're truly left with a politician with very little experience or ability to move the needle.

In regards to foreign policy, I wish I knew what the theme was. Why are we in Afghanistan? That was his escalation, and it seems to have accomplished nothing. Our relations with Israel are worse than when he took office. The Arab Spring has amounted to nothing - old dictators for new dictators. We didn't support Iran's unrest. We seem to have as many boneheaded scandals and controversies as we had with Bush (Secret Service, lone soldiers murdering women and children, drones bombing innocents, open mics, etc.). North Korea is just as bad, if not worse, than ever. We're just as dependent on foreign oil as ever before, with no new foreign policy leverage to show for it. We sold central Europe out to Russia by abandoning missile defense in return for nothing.

If you accept that things were SHIT before he took office, it's not good enough that things haven't gotten worse. Things also needed to get better and haven't.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:53 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Tranthas
WoW: Niali
I've lost track. Are we blaming presidents for lone soldiers going off the rails now? Is this the "He wouldn't be there if it weren't for <president>" argument?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:03 AM 

Didn't we blame Bush for Abu Graib?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:22 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Didn't we blame Bush for Abu Graib?

No?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:11 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

What, are we trading hostages now? Joxur, you seem to be suggesting that if someone blamed Bush for Abu Graib, that it would then be okay for someone to blame Obama for isolated soldiers attacking civilians? Is that your point?

What the fuck is this, 18th century Catholicism? You're just haggling over the price now?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:46 PM 

Conversely, it would be rather ignorant to look at Abu Ghraib or another similar incident from within the confines of a vacuum. Can't say I'd place even a majority of the blame on the President, however, environments make it possible for people to commit such acts.

Saying "oh they were just a few psychopaths" ignores the situation that led to such an incident, not only in terms of its allowance, but the social and authoritative background surrounding it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:48 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Sure, but how far do you want to go back in the chain of events in order to remove some of the blame from the perperator?

Hell, if his mother had never given birth to him, he couldn't have done it!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:32 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
I didn't realize how powerful G.W. Bush was. This past week Obama was still blaming the current economic problems on Bush...

As for the do nothing Senate, The Democratic-led Senate hasn’t passed a budget blueprint since April 2009, and it won’t do so again this spring. How is this even conscionable?

When voting for US Senators this year, the voter should ask "Have you done anything to pass a budget?" If the answer is no, then they should not be re-elected.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:26 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Romney is so fake.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:53 PM 

Quote:
I didn't realize how powerful G.W. Bush was. This past week Obama was still blaming the current economic problems on Bush...

The Bush tax cuts, combined with two pointless wars that cost trillions, combined with deregulation of the banking and mortgage industry pushed by Bush all did much to create the situation we are in now. Yes, Bush is that powerful. You cannot make that all magically disappear in 4 years. Obama has always said this. Anyone can see this is true, and would have been true no matter who was in the White House after Bush left.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:55 PM 

Deregulation of the banking industry started under Clinton, just FYI.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:56 PM 

Well, to clarify... it started small in the 80s, then in 1999 there was basically no more banking regulations that would have served to stop the financial decline.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:26 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

To further clarify, the rules against subprime mortgage shell games were lifted in 2005.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:34 PM 

Credit Default Swaps were no longer illegal in 2005, but trading of subprime securities was happening as early as 1995 if not earlier.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:43 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Quote:
As for the do nothing Senate, The Democratic-led Senate hasn’t passed a budget blueprint since April 2009, and it won’t do so again this spring. How is this even conscionable?

When voting for US Senators this year, the voter should ask "Have you done anything to pass a budget?" If the answer is no, then they should not be re-elected.

Seriously not familiar with the filibuster, huh?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:36 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Sen. Brown took his seat on February 4, 2010. Until then Harry didn't need a single Republican vote.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:41 PM 

Guess which party those empty seats belong to?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:43 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Fribur wrote:
Quote:

The Bush tax cuts, combined with two pointless wars that cost trillions, combined with deregulation of the banking and mortgage industry pushed by Bush all did much to create the situation we are in now. Yes, Bush is that powerful. You cannot make that all magically disappear in 4 years. Obama has always said this. Anyone can see this is true, and would have been true no matter who was in the White House after Bush left.

The Bush tax cuts were extended under Obama (and undoubtedly will be again).
Two pointless wars I will handle seperately. The Iraqi adventure was ended on Bush's timetable and not a moment sooner; in fact, Obama tried to keep us there but the Iraqi's said no. The Afghanistan adventure was widened under Obama and he is about to sign an agreement keeping us involved there for another decade. You forgot the other Bush-era budget item that most Democrats like to blame, so I will list it for you: Medicare Prescription drug program. It has also been allowed to continue without change or funding mechanism under Obama.

Pretending that Obama has no responsibility for being fiscally prudent because his predecessor wasn't is disingenuous.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5