It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:22 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:08 AM 
What? Another Expansion?!
What? Another Expansion?!

I am going to preface this with the fact that I was never very close with anyone on this board. I lurked far more then posted but did have some interaction with most of the people who seem to still be peeking around here. I am however thoroughly impressed that this community is still alive, if somewhat underused. I have spent the last hour going through threads that I haven't thought about in years. Just thought it was really cool that a online community based of a MMO game server is still alive.

The whole reason I even came back to look was kind of a funny story. I don't remember what guild or even what character it was but I remember in guild chat Cakvala said something about being jaded. At the time I was 13ish years old and I knew Cak was gay. I figured jaded equaled a gay thing or something about drugs. I sent him a tell asking him what it was and he told me "Wait till you are older, you will figure it out". At this point in my life jaded is a professional life style for me. I think of that conversation a couple times a year, one of those weird things that stick out in life.

Anyway, glad to see that this place is still around. Have alot of great memories from the Lanys sever and the Lanys board.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:26 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Tranthas
WoW: Niali
In retrospect, Lanys was such an encompassing experience that I'd have been surprised if we had not still been talking to each other.

Taenia dragged me in here. I dragged Saelia in here, but not for very long. I still have contact (though infrequent) with Leolan, Tarot, Taynea, Taenia, Yensid, Grizley, outside of this board. Xianle tried to get me jailed, then pulled the same thing on Rurog, and we realized she'd been doing this for years. I played lawyer for Itzlegend because I owed Ketsui a favor, may they both rest in nice careers that don't allow for gaming. I got dangerously loaded one weekend with Kawphee, Mylador, AcidNoze, Yensid, EtherDragon, Pimm, Snukuponya, and countless others. I was there when Rheeann invented Solidaire Syndrome, and when Genma finally cured it in the best traditions of Edgar Allen Poe. I lived on the fringes of the Ranger Mafia, unable to join because I couldn't commit the time to get the gear, but receiving the newsletter nonetheless, and watched Aidan and Elidrin define the Ranger class for the world in EQ while Signal showed everyone how to be a Hunter in WoW.
My involvement in socially-relevant games led directly to my employment at Xbox, where I constantly pinch myself to make sure that I'm not just dreaming that they pay me to do this stuff. I was one of a trio who killed Trakanon one day. I fought for Pimm's PoSky raids. I solo'ed Gorenaire on the advice of Lanys uberguild members. I wielded Innoruuk's Machine Gun one bugged night when Ryanilin was one level shy of max and Kellos and I were in the right place. I was the only Ranger to perform a resurrection without using an item due to a timing bug. I fought in the old Temple of Cazic Thule. I told Sony how to fix Archery after disassembling their code to find collision handler flaws, and didn't go to jail. I was one of the first twenty on Lanys to get Ranger epics, thanks to help from Soul Assassins before Conquest was a glimmer in anyone's eye. I invented the method everyone used for solo-pulling all of Siren's Grotto. I also invented the method in widest use for pulling all the Imps in Molten Core without overwhelming the raid.

Lanys left several indelible marks. It absolutely should still be here; it's part of us all, for as long as we last. I'm proud to have been here in any capacity, as we all should be.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:58 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Indeed. It's still a forum I check on a daily basis, just to see what folks are up to. It's still around to be sure, but the death of the original forum, and the advent of Facebook user groups has really taken it's toll. We might be down to what, 15 folks that actively post?

Either way, yeah...it's pretty amazing to me that a forum I joined somewhere back in like 1999 or 2000 is still even in existence 12 years later.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:16 AM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Heebo wrote:
The whole reason I even came back to look was kind of a funny story. I don't remember what guild or even what character it was but I remember in guild chat Cakvala said something about being jaded. At the time I was 13ish years old and I knew Cak was gay. I figured jaded equaled a gay thing or something about drugs. I sent him a tell asking him what it was and he told me "Wait till you are older, you will figure it out". At this point in my life jaded is a professional life style for me. I think of that conversation a couple times a year, one of those weird things that stick out in life.

Wow. I never would have thought I would be a influence on someone, welcome back to the board hopefully you will contribute more that you have re-found this place. :)

If you have a Ever Quest friend on Facebook, see if they are in the Lanys Board private group and ask for a invite, if not PM any of us for a friend request and we can invite you!

In regards to the people on the board, there are about 15 to 20 posters and about 100 lurkers, ha!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:58 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Tranthas
WoW: Niali
The board has an impact in itself, for that matter. I don't think I was ever in the same zone with Cakvala, Vanamar or Tarot -- but they have my attention when they talk because of the board.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:40 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I remember the first time I saw Myrtle in-game. I thought that was the coolest thing, like seeing an eCeleb, thanks to these boards.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:41 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Running into people from the boards was pretty awesome.

It made the people who never used the forums much less awesome.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:20 PM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
Over the past weekend while bullshiting with corp mates on mumble while playing eve and minecraft (=p) everquest came up and I asked what server he played on, he replied Lanys. Small world, turns out he was in Conquest, I told him this board is still around, will send him a link later today.

Offline Profile