It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:05 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:29 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
So we all pretty much watched it, what do you all think about what he said? Is our country going down ther crapper? hah

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:42 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Tax the rich more!!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:32 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
I didn't watch it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:38 PM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

If the Obama-man can do everything he talked about in the address I would vote for him in an instant.

Unfortunately for him, his track record of doing what he says is not all that great.

His ideas are good, the implementation is horrible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:29 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
and if Obama wins re-election, he will most likely be facing a Republican dominated Congress, as almost all predictions show Republicans gaining control of Senate as well this year.

Will be hard pressed to enact alot if that's the case

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:54 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Tranthas
WoW: Niali
...So it'll be exactly like the past four years.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:25 AM 
I schooled the old school.

I liked it. It blows me away that people find him "evil."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:27 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
idk, he had 2 years with a democratic controlled congress and still couldn't get alot of what he wanted enacted, due to his own party members voting against stuff.

can't really say the first 2 years of his presidency he didn't have chances to get things done, his own party as much to blame there as Republicans.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:38 PM 

It's going to be a fun 8 months of hypocritical class warfare from Obama.

My favorite result from the SOTU - learning that White House staff owe almost a million dollars in back taxes. Do what I say, not what I do, amirite?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:27 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

So is "class warfare" the new catch phrase for you guys? One of those things that we put a negative connotation onto that doesn't really reflect the actual meaning of the words at all, then keep repeating it all over the place?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:39 PM 

What else would you call it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:10 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
I don't know what you guys are talking about, Mitt Romney is clearly the leading Class Warrior in These United States anyway.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:18 PM 

Rich guy to richer guy: Rich people r bad.

There you go.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:29 PM 

I hate to say it, but I think Obama's work ethic may play a part in why his implementation has been so poor. The man reportedly gets in the office every day at around 9-10 AM, work shorter hours in general(frequent breaks), and supposedly really hates getting up in the morning.

People like that honestly scare me. When I get up, I'm excited about all of the possibilities of the day, and I'm rushing all over practically tripping over myself to get to work(not because of a time crunch, but because I genuinely want to get there early and get things done). All of the people that I've met who fit the first description have been complete zombies, especially with regard to life in general. No hope, no aspirations, no excitement.

I don't think Obama exactly fits this description, but that he possesses even a few of the attributes is concerning.

Sadly, in some ways the opposite was Bush - who tried to get a lot of things done and packed in a big day, but lacked the intelligence to pursue things effectively.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:34 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
How is it hypocritical to say that the rich pay a smaller percentage of their income in taxes, and should be paying more? It's also hardly calling rich people bad, especially in light of the fact that a majority of the rich appear to agree.

In regards to Obama's worth ethic, where are you getting your information? The articles written back in 2009 and 2010? Because if that's the case, you're leaving out a lot of pertinent information.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:00 PM 

Quote:
How is it hypocritical to say that the rich pay a smaller percentage of their income in taxes, and should be paying more? It's also hardly calling rich people bad, especially in light of the fact that a majority of the rich appear to agree.
Because his administration is filled with people who owe almost a million dollars in back taxes?

http://news.investors.com/Article/59900 ... -taxes.htm

And perhaps because he takes million dollar vacations - a lot? I dunno, there are plenty of examples. Go find them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:55 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Venen, anyone claiming to know the hour-to-hour daily habits of the President is making shit up. Anyone with lips that loose would never make it near a detail where they'd be trusted with the daily routine of a world leader.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:20 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Anyone who posts that they fall all over themselves to get to work every day loses all credibility.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:55 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

How in the world does any of that amount to hypocrisy? Obama has no authority to do anything to anyone who has not paid their taxes. It is completely up to the IRS what to do, and they have already said that they will try to set up a payment schedule, like they do with most who owe enough taxes that they are unable to pay it in a lump sum. If it were Obama who wasn't paying his taxes, then you'd have a point.

And he takes expensive vacations? Oh no! That's not even the third cousin of hypocrisy. No one has advocated for the wealthy to not live like they're wealthy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:31 PM 

Quote:
In regards to Obama's worth ethic, where are you getting your information? The articles written back in 2009 and 2010? Because if that's the case, you're leaving out a lot of pertinent information.

Correct, this one was from 2009:

"He shows up at the Oval Office shortly before 9 in the morning. . ."
". . . aides have seen him in the Oval Office as late as 10 p.m. . ."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/29/us/po ... house.html

Sure, it's not pertinent in the sense that it doesn't give us an idea of how his presidency has evolved. That said, it is indicative of his attitude of how eager he was to dive into his job full throttle at the beginning of a very important presidency and period in US history. Getting into work at 9-10 AM is something your average pleb worker does.

And Tranthas: I don't think it's really THAT much of a secret. It wasn't for Bush, either, nor was it a huge one was Clinton. Absolute knowledge of every single moment in terms of HOUR to HOUR movements throughout the day? Probably not. But average time getting INTO the office? It's not hard for a layperson to make a few inferences, watch the SUVs, note the security movements, then corroborate information(even if you DON'T see him, which it sounds like some did). Nor is it really a HUGE security hazard.

Also, would the first lady qualify as someone who wouldn't be trusted with the daily routine of a world leader? =p :

". . .Michelle Obama told a group of high school students on Thursday that getting out of bed isn't always easy for her husband."
"I got to push him out of bed."

http://www.politico.com/click/stories/1 ... to_do.html

Sure, probably made with a little jest in tone, but when we add up the above information, not only with each individual fact but also with the fact that Obama's implementation of policy has been so poor, a bigger picture starts to develop.

When asked what his accomplishments were prior to his presidency, we also have a hard time nailing it down. The man walks at the speed of a snail with the energy of one to boot. Hell, he's FROM Hawaii, home to some of the laziest people I've ever seen. Why would his work ethic being called into question be a surprising thought to occur to someone?

I just don't think the lack of getting things done is as simple as "LAWL CONGRESS BLOCKED HIM!".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:36 PM 

Quote:
And he takes expensive vacations? Oh no! That's not even the third cousin of hypocrisy. No one has advocated for the wealthy to not live like they're wealthy.

I agree with this in a sense. I don't mind important people taking expensive vacations; They've earned it. My curiousity would be how much he is getting done during those vacations: In other words, is he taking advantage of them? I often find that vacations can help increase my productivity significantly because of the atmosphere and combining having some fun with getting work done.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:02 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
How much work does he do before he gets to the office?

I know that after I wake up I do an hour or so of work before I even leave the house.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:49 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Quote:
Sure, it's not pertinent in the sense that it doesn't give us an idea of how his presidency has evolved. That said, it is indicative of his attitude of how eager he was to dive into his job full throttle at the beginning of a very important presidency and period in US history. Getting into work at 9-10 AM is something your average pleb worker does.
Or it's indicative of the fact that he stays up later in order to work, and thus must sleep in later than Bush did.

You seem to be reading a lot of things into that article that just isn't supported. The only thing really in question here is if it is deliberate.

Quote:
Hell, he's FROM Hawaii, home to some of the laziest people I've ever seen. Why would his work ethic being called into question be a surprising thought to occur to someone?
And he's black too, and everyone knows they are lazy as hell. And Alabamans are stupid, and Texans are gun-toting racist rednecks, and Californians are pot-smoking hippies. Are there any other bullshit stereotypes that you'd like to bring up?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:54 PM 

There's a pretty big difference between multiple casual observations and statements of hard fact =p

But yea, of course it's a stereotype. I assume you're not going to declare all human beings are created equal in every region on Earth, and that cultural or regional similarities/norms/mores do not exist =)

Nor would you declare that you don't engage in stereotypes, because it would be a lie. Everyone does, even if in nuanced/subconscious/unconscious form.

By themselves, none of them would indicate to me a particular increase in his likelihood of being ineffectual because of a lack of work ethic. Taken together, they give me pause for thought. Absolute judgment? Of course not.

The only thing more idiotic than using stereotypes alone to judge people (completely and utterly) is throwing the use of stereotypes as tools out the window completely. Baby out with the bath water, etc.

Anyway, here's another one: The most disciplined and hard-working people I've met always got up early in the morning rather than stayed up late. If for no other reason, part of it is suggestively correlated with the idea of there being practically zero commute issues at 3-4 AM, whereby people attain greater efficiency as well as a head start on the day. Certainly moreso than the commute at 10-11 PM, though the commute difference might be somewhat negligible depending on where you live. That, and of course, partiers and nightlife folk love the latenight hours, resulting in a larger number of them taking up the statistics of the 10-11 PM crowd.

How many jobs would encourage going there at 3-4 AM and also to work longer hours? Fewer in number to be sure, and also more likely those committed to tougher, more meaningful careers.

Educated observation based on real-world experience. Not fact. Not based on sheer statistics. Stereotype, sure =)

Have I seen anything to the contrary yet, based on either fact OR stereotype? Newp.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:17 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Quote:

Putting on my Devil's Advocate hat. I'm about to present a viewpoint that I don't actually hold myself, but this is how it goes as I understand it.

The wealthiest 1% of US citizens pay 51% of all income tax. They also control roughly 91% of the country's private wealth. They don't believe they should pay 91% of the income tax, however, because they don't benefit from anywhere close to even 51% of income tax dollars spent.

Rich people do not need Medicare, or unemployment, or public schools, or L&I, or Social Security, or Section 8, or welfare. Every cent spent on those things is pure loss from the financial perspective of the rich -- it's all charity. They pay into those systems, and it's money they'll never see again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:37 PM 

I'll be voting for Obama, because we're 4 years into our 10 year goal of eliminating our dependence on foreign oil.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:25 PM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
that is funny

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:27 AM 

I can't believe someone actually said, "Well he's Hawaiian, and everyone knows they are lazy!" and meant it. Discrimination still exists even on these forums! Related to that whole, "omg he comes into work at 9-10 am" shit... Venen you quoted a quote that said he comes in before nine and sometimes stays until after 10 pm. How is this lazy, exactly? Im' doing the math, and realizing that 9 am - 10 pm is freaking 13 hours a day.

There is so much baloney on the last 10 posts or so I don't even know what to say. Wow, we haven't ended our dependence on foreign oil with a Congress not willing to take even tiny steps in that direction? MUST BE OBAMA'S FAULT!!!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:01 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I didn't see this one until I went back and re-read the thread. I don't know how I missed it before.
Quote:
I agree with this in a sense. I don't mind important people taking expensive vacations; They've earned it. My curiousity would be how much he is getting done during those vacations: In other words, is he taking advantage of them? I often find that vacations can help increase my productivity significantly because of the atmosphere and combining having some fun with getting work done.
Well, I don't work during my vacations, and I'm not sorry. I won't fault Obama for it either.

And if that "frequent breaks" crack from above was born as speculation about how many smoke breaks Obama takes, the answer is actually zero; you can smoke in the White House if you're the President.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:21 PM 
I've pwned over 300 times!
I've pwned over 300 times!

Fribur wrote:
I can't believe someone actually said, "Well he's Hawaiian, and everyone knows they are lazy!" and meant it. Discrimination still exists even on these forums! Related to that whole, "omg he comes into work at 9-10 am" shit... Venen you quoted a quote that said he comes in before nine and sometimes stays until after 10 pm. How is this lazy, exactly? Im' doing the math, and realizing that 9 am - 10 pm is freaking 13 hours a day.

There is so much baloney on the last 10 posts or so I don't even know what to say. Wow, we haven't ended our dependence on foreign oil with a Congress not willing to take even tiny steps in that direction? MUST BE OBAMA'S FAULT!!!!

This post made me LOL, thank Fribur

Build a man a fire, and he's warm for the night.
Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:34 PM 

You are welcome :)

Offline Profile