It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:35 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:15 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

It's about time.

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.co ... m?id=69184

Quote:
This is the producer note that I never wanted to write. As was announced today, the Star Wars Galaxies service will come to an end on December 15th, 2011. Galaxies has been a part of all our lives for so many years that it's really going to be hard to see it end. It has meant different things to each of us. For some it's about combat. For others it's about socializing, or crafting, or collecting, or decorating, or fishing, or adventuring, or more. For all of us, though, Galaxies is about sharing experiences with our friends. May of this year was my 7th year working on this game. As a developer, Galaxies has been an opportunity for me to learn how to create a virtual universe and to interact with a community that is very passionate about the product I work on. When you look back at all the updates over the years, it's very impressive how much we managed to get done. In the end, it is our fans that made all the hard work and effort worth it.

I was going back through the news archives and came across this clip from my introduction when I became producer in August of 2009 (http://starwarsgalaxies.station.son...97&month=082009):

What new ideas are you bringing to the position of SWG Producer?

… I believe developers and players should feel they are empowered to make a difference in this game. …

The goal for my team was to make our players feel like they could make a difference. In the end, I hope you feel we achieved this goal. We are very proud of what we have accomplished with Star Wars Galaxies.

We all need some time to get a handle on what this decision means. In the coming months we will continue to share information about what is going on in the game. We want to reassure you that game development is continuing. With that in mind, I want to share the current progress of the game with you and give you some insight into what's in the works.

Galactic Civil War 2 - Space

Yes, we are going to finish the GCW 2- Space update. As we mentioned previously, this update will have large scale GCW space battles, the ACE pilot system, and three new player ships. In addition, we are going through several of the existing ships and fixing some collision issues to make ship combat more balanced.

World Ending Event

We aren't giving out a lot of details on this yet. As we all know, the Galactic Civil War is the forefront of our game. The war will be going strong right up until the end. Which side will win and what will be the result? Stay with us to find out and help decide the outcome

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:08 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

IMPORTANT DATES
June 24, 2011 12, 6 and 3-month subscription packs turned off
TCG store closes

September 15, 2011 SWG MMO and Trading Card Game no longer available for sale or subscription
No new or reactivated accounts accepted after this date

October 15, 2011 Billing turned off
Free game trials begin

December 15, 2011 Star Wars Galaxies service ends

December 31, 2011 Free game trials end

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/playerinfo/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:57 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Whoa, I wasn't aware that game was even still running!.....

Now it makes me wonder about DAOC, FFXI..etc lol

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:22 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Yes FFXI is still running, they released an expansion not that long ago, levels are up to 80 or 85 now.

Offline Profile