It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:22 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Thank you for the compliment.

As for lights? Not really. That photo was done with table lamps and sunlight. Occasionally if I need a hotspot on the fly, I get creative with a flashlight or taking the shades off table lamps and being much more direct with them. heh. I have lights at home that I have used, but when travelling, I rarely pack them. I really, really, really want to get into playing with flashes because Strobist makes it look so easy and the effects are amazing....but I just haven't gone there yet because I find purchasing them slightly intimidating. So many variables I don't understand yet. I like the idea of being able to do things like Jalen is doing with blowing out the background, or like the guy I read recently that takes photos of balloons popping in a pitch black room with his flashes triggered for sound:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edwardhors ... otostream/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:14 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

a self portrait from this morning. (this time I used my light stands, both as prop and light source. heh.)

and I need a haircut.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:40 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Nice lighting. I need to get some lights. I'm about halfway to convincing my wife to give the leash some slack :)

All this got me into a photography mood this afternoon and I noticed some new flower blooming in my background while making the 4th BBQ. Too a few pics:

I used a spray bottle for the water drops - the weather was just too damned nice today :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:26 AM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

I really like the portrait Rugen posted on the 1st. Background is a great contrast to the face, really nice. As for the reflection in the glasses, polarization filter might work, or putting a big diffusor (bedsheet) close to the face, just outside of the picture. Then again, I dont think it really matters, its great as it is.

The picture you linked of the exploding balloon is awesome, I wonder if this can be done lowtech. Like in complete darkness, with long exposure time and then manually trigger the flash the moment the balloon bursts. I will try that :)

I really got stuck on flash, its so addicting. Always want more. Better be ready for that. And its easier to sneak a 350$ flash past the woman in charge of our budget than a 1000$ lens. :P And a softbox, and a reflector... Its just sad alien bees are so expensive in europe.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:33 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
Like in complete darkness, with long exposure time and then manually trigger the flash the moment the balloon bursts. I will try that :)

I think you will have a hard time triggering the flash manually to get the same effect, honestly. We're fast, but we're not that fast. But heck give it a try and post the results! I'd be curious to see what you can rig up. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:20 AM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala

Gay pride month!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:53 PM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

My gf, I owed her this after the balloon experiment :P More on that later hehe :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:20 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

I actually really like the monochromatic aspects of that.

Well done.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:23 PM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

On the balloon experiment:

I bought 5 bags of 10 balloons, all different kinds just to make sure. I put the camera on a tripod, set it so it would underexpose the picture to be all black at a 3s shutter speed and well lit with the flash I set to 1/64. Then I put a tripod into the bathtube, filled the balloons with water, put one of those on top of the tripod and started.

I pressed the shutter, and needle in one, flash in the other hand, tried to pierce the balloom at the same time my other hand pressed the flashbutton. Fail, the tripod wasnt quite stable enough so I replaced it with my gf. Unfortunatly I, thinking I would put the balloons on the tripod, had filled them with really cold water.

Long story short, 50 balloons later I had reached the end of my gf's patience, had about 20 pics of spashed water all over her, about 10 pics of the needle sticking in the balloon just spraying water and 20 without anything at all because I was that much too late on the flash. No sign of a bursting balloon.

Learning experience :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:01 AM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

haha those types of photos are hard to get! But once you get the shot its amazing!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:28 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
Long story short, 50 balloons later I had reached the end of my gf's patience, had about 20 pics of spashed water all over her, about 10 pics of the needle sticking in the balloon just spraying water and 20 without anything at all because I was that much too late on the flash. No sign of a bursting balloon.

This is why I think the sound triggered flash the guy is using is probably the most reliable way to get the shot. A flash reacting to the sound of the pop is going to be much quicker than the time it takes your brain to process that you heard it and trigger it manually.

What kind of flash gear are you using, out of curiosity?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:51 AM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

Well I thought by holding both the needle and the flash I wouldnt have to rely on reacting to the sound but just do both at the same time. "at the same time" is surprisingly hard when it comes to 1/1000s :P

I am using 2 SB900s, 1 SB600, a rayflash, a 60x60cm ezybox, some lastolite reflectors and 2 Manfrotto lightstands. Next I want to get 2 shootthroughs and a background holder. I am a bit scared of studiostrobes to be honest so I am not going there yet.

Right now I am saving for a new camera. My gf is a professional ballet dancer and I am not allowed to flash at the theatre. FX is sooo tempting for the high iso capabilities. Noise at 6400 looks like 1600 on the D300. That and the moment I had looked through the viewfinder of the D700 (huge, bright) I wasnt happy with the small one of the D300 (small, dark) anymore. Curses!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:32 AM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

Its funny how at some point everyone takes different directions, some go all available light, some strobist, some HDR, some portraits, some nature...

I think I am well past the HDR hole but I doubt the gearfaggotry will ever end. :) Getting past the high peak of "how good you think you are" was fairly easy. I just need to look at Brettastic's, Peddecord Photo's or James Tate's photos every now and then. They do what I want to do and I am still far far far from there. Far far far. The Wooden Heart series of Brettastic is just so perfect, really something I look up to.

But I think I also made it past the "I suck" hole on the blue graph. Instead of thinking "I suck" I just accepted that there are people who are much better at what they do and try to learn from them. I read lots of blogs (the usual suspects: strobist, Dave Black, Chase Jarvis, Scott Kelby, Joe McNally, Lighting Essentials, Kirk Tuck, Terry White...), look at lighting diagrams, read books and try to assist people I can learn from. So I try to suck a little less each day.

What a great hobby :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:39 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

a more traditional format for a portrait, but it had a specific use, so I didn't want to deviate too much. Mostly I wanted to take the opportunity to get a strong grasp of the shallow focus technique (which I had no idea how to do previous to this shoot). Definitely will be playing with it more.

And just for fun, something I did for a project this week

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:01 PM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

Rugen, whats your name on flickr? I like your project picture, thats really well done. On the portrait, the blown out left corner draws me away from the face. Might be just me though.

What I have done lately:

I plastered my flat with cut out pictures to try make some pin up shots. When I removed the posters I had so many holes in the paint I had to repaint the whole wall. Would not do it again.

I tried to work some more on high key and face retouching. Oh, and I bought a huge fan for portraits (which displaced half the stuff in my appartment and destroyed more stuff than its own worth). This is Alessa the gnome rogue by the way, if anyone remembers her :)

Some more gnome. I tried to do more fashion/editorial style stuff, which is really what I enjoy most lately. And my sister likes it too because she gets lots of photos.

Trying to work with diffusors and mixing in fill flash at noon with full sun out.

And the last series I did with my gf, more fashion stuff. First time with radio triggers (love them), back on the D70 again (hate it).

Lots more here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:41 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

I really, really dig "the cross" picture. The pose, the lighting, all of it is top notch in my book.

You can also see visible growth in the structure and style of your photos. Good stuff.

I'll friend you and send a note on flickr. Just be warned, you gotta deal with all my snapshot type photos as well as I use it as a repository for all things image related.

BTW: can you clarify what is the grey/white wall behind the cross shot and the shot of your gf in the shirt? Are you using a backdrop at all, or just the wall and manipulating with flash/light?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:11 AM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

Like you said, lots of digging required to get past the snaps :) The picture of Mario and the self portrait you posted here are my favorites. Why not make a 2nd account for snaps?

My background is just a (freshly painted) white wall. I usually begin with setting up the backlight, then add the rest. In case of the cross and the shirt pictures I had a single flash dialed all the way down put up on a lightstand right behind them. In this case I put it as close to the wall as possible so the amount of light would decrease fast going out from the center. The background reflection usually makes for a decent rimlight as well. Then I added the main light in form of a softbox and used a reflector or 3rd weak flash for fill.

Flash is fun :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:48 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
Why not make a 2nd account for snaps?

Because I'm too cheap to go pro on two accounts. So I use it as a repository for everything and then separate out the content in other ways.

And thanks for the info. I really need to get off my ass and play with flashes. Strobist (I think that was them) just had an article about a relatively cost effective flash with remote capabilities I may check out as a starting point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:02 PM 

Couple of new pics from my trips to New York this month. I took a Circle Line tour at sunset... I am hoping to get on top of the empire st bldg on the next trip in 2 weeks for some night shots. Need to get a monopod.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:20 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

I really love the second one. Composition, limited focus, color palette....it's just goodness in my book.

That being said, all of those shots are nice.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:23 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

oh, and on the monopod front....I did this trick.

http://www.instructables.com/id/String-Tripod/

Although I used chain link rather than string.

makes it very easy to carry around in your pocket for when you need it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:10 AM 

I went to Monterey for a work trip and snuck down to Big Sur. The CA coast is sooo different from the east coast. Took a few pics after a short hike (after which I wiped out on the way back and almost couldn't walk back to my car).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:23 AM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

Those pictures look very much like right where I used to live!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:04 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
Those look fantastic. I've always loved the aquarium in Monterey.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:07 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

For sure. Monterey was the best thing about language school in the military.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:07 AM 

Monterey was awesome. It was in the 50s and back in ATL it was still in the 90s last week. I had a blast. Wish I could move out there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:40 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

some random photos from the 180+ I shot yesterday in SF. By the time I get home next week, I'm probably going to have over 1,000 images to go through. Oy. heh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:50 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
The wife bought me a t1i and a couple of lenses as an early Christmas present.

These were all shot with it, along with the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens :

That last one is the only ferret we have that will both hold still *and* ham for the camera, it seems. The rest I had to leave caged to take the shots.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:48 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

Oh god there so CUTE!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:12 PM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
pic are nice, but I hate ferrets - skunk cousin.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:34 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

A couple of shots from our trip out to White Sands today:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:42 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

and a few from carlsbad caverns

Really mad at a mixup that led to me NOT having a tripod at the caverns, but at least I got a couple of shots out of it that I liked.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:38 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

Guys having fun in New Mexico? Albuquerque is a fun place sometimes :x

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:36 PM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

While these were not taken with a my DSRL, I figured I would share them anyways. These are probably my three favorite pics that I took on a recent vacation to Mexico. The second pic probably being my most favorite.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:59 AM 

Cool, I love that second one. I went to the ruins at Tulum on my honeymoon many years ago and took a similar pic, though the temple there is much smaller.

I just got a Nikon d7000 and took some pics at the ATL Auto Show yesterday. LOVE that camera.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:49 AM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

I just put up a FB-page for my photo stuff. The problem with flickr is that there are really only photo-people looking. On FB it is so much easier to connect with MUAs, models and designers. I am pretty happy with how it is developing. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:01 AM 

May also want to check out smugmug.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:29 PM 

Just got back from Hong Kong.. my new favorite city.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:18 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Great pics.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:14 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Tranthas
WoW: Niali
Jesus, Jox. Where's that panorama taken from?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:42 AM 

Victoria Peak... just a short tram ride up this mountain. There's a mall on top. We ate at this cool restaurant up there but there was a bubba gump with the best view. I refused to eat there, heh. :)

The only negative about HK was the pollution... there's so much. Visibility was pretty bad most of the week.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:52 AM 

Jox,

Can I get a fullsize of the second pic? That would make a killer wallpaper.

Also, are you shooting Nikon or Canon these days?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:18 PM 

Sure, here you go:

large size

I just upgraded to a Nikon D7000 from a D50 which was getting a little long in the tooth. Awesome, totally amazing, best camera you can buy for $1200. I got it a little early due to this trip. I was there a week, and looks like I will be going back for a launch in late summer for another 3.5 weeks. My colleague and I are trying to fit in a trip to the mainland and possibly Thailand while we're there. Work trips can be fickle sometimes, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:07 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

That spot (in photo 2) is particularly popular with HDR fans. ;) I first saw it in Trey Ratcliff's photostream (stuckincustoms.com). http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuckincus ... 3505606537

It led me to realizing something I read later...that people tend to take pictures from the exact same spot:

http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blo ... ist-photos

I personally love the boat pic. Although it really does highlight the smog/pollution problem as well with that haze hovering over the city.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:57 AM 

Yeah.. frankly, of major landmarks, there are fewer and fewer original takes on a scene. Part of it is the availability of high quality digital cameras, part of it is access to areas. Most areas funnel visitors into a specific area, and getting off the beaten path is sometimes very difficult when you travel primarily for business, or have a family and can't leave them for days while you study a location and wait for the best lightning.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:02 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

I apologize. Reading the comment now I think it can be seen as something of a dig. it wasn't meant that way. I just truly find it fascinating that at a place like Notre Dame, for example, where there's a large courtyard with multiple angles, people tend to pick the same one over and over. Is it because that's the "Notre Dame they've always seen in pictures so it looks right"? Or is it more to do with that specific angle being more pleasing to the eye/brain parsing it. I think you're right about being herded into a specific spot, but I also think there is something to be said for a shared appreciation of line/design by those that look through a camera.

Anyway, just to clarify. I wasn't taking a dig. :p Sorry if it seemed that way. I was more musing out loud when I saw a familiar angle on a city I hope to visit (we have an office there, so I've been trying to swing a work trip that way that I can extend into a vacation as well).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:10 PM 

no no, i didn't take it as such. I think of the same thing often, as a matter of fact. It's why I like hiking so much, there are many more opportunities for finding a unique angle. and it really is a compromise... i'd love to take a trip devoted to photography, but it's just too hard to do with the young kids. maybe when i retire. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:51 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I've been thinking about getting a camera w/ macro lens to take some close-up pictures of my fish tank, as nerdy as that sounds. My crappy point & shoot just isn't cutting the mustard. I'm hoping to get a D60 at a good price. If so, expect some extreme close-ups of fish balls very soon!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:31 PM 

For about the same price the Nikon D5100 is a far superior camera.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:56 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Ended up picking up a D40 off of Craigslist. Now to order a macro lens...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:58 PM 

make sure it's AF-S compatible or you'll be stuck in manual focus mode forever :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:12 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I'll probably get this one to try out:

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-70-300mm-Ni ... 808&sr=1-2

I think someone else posted something about it earlier. Again, this is just to photograph fish, so I'm not going to go balls to the wall.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:27 PM 

I have that lens, it's good for that purpose.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:09 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

My first attempt with the lens that came with the camera (this is Frogspawn):

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:43 AM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

Have you guys checked out 500px? It is sort of like the new flickr, looks better and overall quality of pics is way higher. I stumbled across it a few days ago and really like it so far. Can only upload 20 pics per week but since that is what I upload in a year I don't really mind.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:59 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Still need to get a new lens and a tripod, but here are a few pics I took today:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:15 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:28 PM 

I just got back from a solo hiking trip in Zion and Bryce Canyons... Still processing a lot but I am happy with a few of them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:10 AM 
I've pwned over 300 times!
I've pwned over 300 times!

What the F, jox. All of your pictures make my jaw drop. Kudos.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:04 PM 

Just to try to jumpstart this thread a little.. I was going through my Hong Kong pictures and decided to process a theme I tried out while I was there. The city is so compressed and vertical that when you're on the streets, you can't really look up and appreciate the scale. Everything's right on top of you. But I noticed that you could see plenty via reflections, so I tried my first "series" of pics based on a theme.

Cheung Kong Center via Bank of China Tower:

Hong Kong Park via Bank of China Tower:

Bank of China Tower, Cheung Kong Center via Citibank Plaza:

Monolith...

Central skyscraper via pedestrian walkway:

Anyone else been shooting lately? I am about to go on a 2 week vacation to Yellowstone/Grand Teton/Bryce/Grand Canyon and Zion with the family. Should be a fun photography trip.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next