It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:15 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:43 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts ... _id=173099

The most interesting thing I noticed is that progression is both time locked AND has to be voted through. Once a guild beats the bosses of an expansion, there is a wait time of 2-3 months before a majority vote is held to see whether everyone wants to unlock the next expansion. If it gets voted down another vote is held in a week and this repeats until a majority votes yes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:07 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

How do these work?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:30 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Anybody who isn't 5 boxing moves aside for the people who are sums up all you pretty much need to know about how these shit servers operate.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:28 PM 

Sorta damned if you do, damned if you don't. If you're not 5-boxing, I don't think anyone misses EQ's "1-button-per-10-seconds"-paced gameplay. Seems like it's either that or play a bard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:52 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
only gotta 3 box with the mercs now!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:56 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
And everyone's account is free for a week, just got the email that I don't give a shit about.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:00 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
randy wrote:
And everyone's account is free for a week, just got the email that I don't give a shit about.

*nods* My ears perked for the second or two I thought it was EQII.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:42 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

EQ1: Aaramis, Aerendil
EQ2: Aaramis, Telomir
SWOR: Aaramis
Free for 10 days, but the new server doesn't launch for another 4 days. So if that was your goal, you only get about 3-4 days of free gaming.

Typical SoE :)

And yes, with mercs, 3+ boxing, defiant armour trivializing older stuff, etc., EQ isn't nearly what it used to be.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:56 PM 

EQ1: Ekilam
WoW: Xinge
Rift: Xinge
EQ2: Xinge
Working up my magician while i wait for the rift beta to open up again lol.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:03 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Aaramis wrote:
Free for 10 days, but the new server doesn't launch for another 4 days. So if that was your goal, you only get about 3-4 days of free gaming.

Typical SoE :)

And yes, with mercs, 3+ boxing, defiant armour trivializing older stuff, etc., EQ isn't nearly what it used to be.

10 days, minus 4 day wait, = 6 days? How is it "only" 3 or 4? Typical SoE ... ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:35 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

gotta factor in the 2 days of hotfix's tho

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:34 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
so when it intially opens what content is available, is it just org. lvl 50 EQ plus PoH PoF ? or was it Kunark as well ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:27 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

No Kunark at launch.

How will progression work on Fippy Darkpaw?

* As with the previous progression servers, players will need to defeat certain challenges to unlock newer expansions. Once these challenges have been defeated there will be a grace period where the server will stay in the current expansion. After the grace period, players will be able to vote through an in game poll to unlock the next expansion. The voting period will be one week.

Initially the grace period will be 90 days before voting will start for Kunark, then 60 days for each expansion after that. At some point we will even have a vote to see if players wish to change that grace period.

If the majority of players vote to unlock the next expansion, the next expansion will unlock at the end of the poll. If the majority of players voted to stay with the current expansion, then there will be a one week grace period before another poll will be posted. This will happen until a majority players vote to unlock the next expansion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:47 AM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
I think its just the original level 50 EQ until someone beats POF / POH and the two dragons.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:57 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

The time it takes to beat the Dragons, Phiny and PoF/PoH plus certain other challenges probably + 3 months grace period + 1 week voting period is the soonest you can hope to see Kunark.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:49 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Quote:

*For the Fippy Darkpaw Server we have done our absolute best to remove items which would give an inappropriate or undue advantage such as Defiant Armor or certain tradeskill related items. Generally the items that you will find should be items that came with the expansion currently available or were unlocked during that expansion. Augments created specifically for progression servers will be available.

Probably no mercs either, since those didnt come along until only a few expansions ago.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:50 AM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

Ive' decided to give this a try again.. I'm really bored with all the new games.. not sure really why but kind of thinking its the grouping wihich isnt really there in the new games.
anyways if anyone has a mind to try again on Flippy and happen to see me on send a Hi.. names will be if I can get them.. Wildiiana ( Ranger) and Jollenar ( probably a druid )

Would be really great if there was an old Layns guild on the server.. I wouldnt be much of officer material but would help to build it. wouldnt have to be anythig real heavy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:26 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

So essentially it's back to the old "10 minutes to kill one rat outside of freeport" days?

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:14 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

people are celebrating when they get level 5

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:56 AM 

EQ TRIP REPORT:

Free time
Logged in.
UI sucks.
Moving my character sucks.
How did I play this shit all those years ago?
Not interested in rebinding keys.
Logged out.

Nostalga time frame of a total of 28 seconds, most of which, astonishing enough, were spent on the loading screen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:05 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
So you're saying it's better than Rift?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:07 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

I enjoyed a full night of grouping from 2-5 in Nek, Commonlands, and Befallen. Don't know how long it will last but I can say I've always thought EQ was better than any other MMO provided it had players logging in.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:34 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

xskycrasherx wrote:

Because most of us have real life commitments these days, plus various other circumstances that may interfere with gaming. Plus, as mentioned, hotfixes and such, and the initial opening-day uberlag as 1350715079 newbs run around Qeynos and Freeport.

Assumed you guys would be able to figure out what I meant, but apparently not.

Last edited by Aaramis on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:48 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:39 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

WoW: Prystus
Said this on another forum board.

Nostalgia is like beer goggles.

You get into it, your memory is just as bad as being drunk and hitting on a great looking woman. When you wake up and look around. you realize she isn't that great looking, and nostalgia is better than reality.

EQ was a suck ass grind fest. We've grown up, we learned better.

I play a game to enjoy myself, not to go to work.

"People sometimes say that ideas cannot be stamped out by force. The Albigensian Crusade proves them wrong. Ideas can be stamped out by the elimination of everyone who holds the ideas." - Quote :"Middle Ages" by Morris Bishop.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:35 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Aaramis wrote:
xskycrasherx wrote:

Because most of us have real life commitments these days, plus various other circumstances that may interfere with gaming. Plus, as mentioned, hotfixes and such, and the initial opening-day uberlag as 1350715079 newbs run around Qeynos and Freeport.

Assumed you guys would be able to figure out what I meant, but apparently not.

I don't know, I guess I'm just not cynical anymore because all MMOs are past the bullshit days of hotfixes and servers being down for long periods of time. I work 10 hour days, have a family, etc, yet still fit in at least an hour or two of gaming a day (among the other retarded things I like to do in my spare time) while still having "home" work to do like grading, etc. Nobody is as busy as they think they claim to be.

The annoying jaded-gamer-because-my-realm-is-down days are over.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:32 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

"Nobody is as busy as they think they claim to be"

Haha true and I love when I hear people say this too: "I'm too busy to date!" yet they sign up for those dating sites LOL. There are people out there who have kids and work more than one job, and some go to school.

So when they say I don't have free time I can understand, but most people might have more time than they are telling folks.

"Look at me me me me I have a life and I'm better than you!"That is what I think when I hear people say I don't have any time ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:42 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I'm too busy to read that last post.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:44 AM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

I have free time but I rather do other things now. I grew up =(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:04 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

I don't have time for EQ because i'm enjoying Rift too much.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:39 PM 
Bridge Dweller

CakvalaSC wrote:

That's where I think most of us are at, these days. It's been 10 years now since the hay-days of EverQuest. It's pretty funny to think we're all 10 years older and mostly completely different people.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:40 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

xskycrasherx wrote:
CakvalaSC wrote:

That's where I think most of us are at, these days. It's been 10 years now since the hay-days of EverQuest. It's pretty funny to think we're all 10 years older and mostly completely different people.

What they said...and the fact that EQ is a grind fest too!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:40 PM 

I'm sure if we really wanted to a lot of us could find the time to play MMOs casually. I'd wager that for most folks, that's not the question when they say "I don't have the time to play it". The question is what you get out of the time played, and whether they can "play it" on a time commitment level similar to the average MMO gamer. They don't have time to play it on a level where they get returns from it. Even if you manage to collect a posse and have your friends play on the same level of time investment, on an MMORPG server you're going to find yourself at odds with the rest of the playerbase.

And it's not necessarily a question of e-peen or the desire to be among the elite(or even competitive) - there's something to be said for being in the moment and enjoying certain things within a loose community(even if it's as lame as WoW's). It's just that much worse if you're going "LFG Wailing Caverns" while everyone else is level 50 looking for BRD action. Have fun selling that +2 agility helmet 4 months after release. You can enjoy it for its own sake with your friends, and there's plenty to be said for that, but in the end it's fun to be on the same train with everyone and share the experience with more people in a... /drumroll... Massively Multiplayer ORPG.

So at that point, the question comes down to what you get for the time investment for casual play. I'd argue it's much, much, much more from a standard single-player RPG, casual console games, non-MMORPGs that are multiplayer, or even making a private MMORPG server with your friends to mess around with.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:27 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Evilundead Afterlife wrote:
"Look at me me me me I have a life and I'm better than you!"That is what I think when I hear people say I don't have any time ;)

How you guys got to this from my post is beyond me.

In a given 7 day stretch I assumed most of us only have 3-4 days a week where we tend to log on.

But yes, for the record, there are days when I *am* too busy to log on, or more likely I'm simply too effing exhausted to sit in the front of the computer. Not going to play high and mighty or anything. That's just the way my life is. Simple as that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:14 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

I'm not talking about your post, but people in general at work and other non-game related comments. I just love when I hear someone say it that is all ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:27 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

They don't have time to play but they have time to watch the reality TV garbage and talk about who got booted off last night.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:48 PM 

I would love to play EQ again and relive what is was but that's just impossible. You can never replicate the timing, the people, situations, etc. For people to think that logging into the same game will bring something back is giving EQ too much credit. EQ simply captured a moment in time of our lives that just happened to coincide with a lot of other people's lives. You could go on a Vox raid tonight and it wouldn't mean crap if Leolan wasn't sleeping, Sepnir wasn't listening, Wicc wasn't leading, etc. You could go on and on about the people that made it, and not just those people today but those people "back then".

I like what, I believe, Venen said, now its all about what you can do in the time we have for MMO's. Everyone's situation is different but its hard to have the same life and look through the same eye we had 10 years ago.

The time we had in EQ was awesome, you guys were awesome, but EQ alone without it being in that time and without those people is nothing. I'm glad that we still have this board just to at least stay in touch, every now and again I'll do some archiving on my home computers and run into my screenshot folders from EQ and think about how cool it once was....

I guess its just more fitting for me to get more out of gaming with the couple hours here and there I have which is why I am playing Rift now. Though I love shaking my cane at newer players I hang out with when they complain about something. Two hours wouldn't get your crap in EQ and I wonder sometimes too how we ever put up with some of the demands EQ made on any one person's life (thinking about Vex Thal keys for example).

Hope to see some of you guys on Rift. Xolar, Zero, Duty, and myself are on Lotham (PvP) if anyone wants to hang out. I'm assuming we'll roll on that server on launch. Also, this is the first MMO Duty has played since leaving EQ a month or so ago... talk about dedication.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:41 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

EQ1: Xantheus
WoW: Xantheus
20 bucks says Duty goes back to EQ.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:37 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

We put up with it because it was the best at what it did at the time. Just like people drove cars that went 3 MPH back in the day. When they learned that they could get faster cars, they didn't go back to the old ones just because they remembered fondly the first time they ever put it in gear and crossed that old rickety bridge on the way to the speakeasy.... or something.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:39 PM 

EQ1: Ekilam
WoW: Xinge
Rift: Xinge
EQ2: Xinge
Neesha the Necro wrote:
We put up with it because it was the best at what it did at the time. Just like people drove cars that went 3 MPH back in the day. When they learned that they could get faster cars, they didn't go back to the old ones just because they remembered fondly the first time they ever put it in gear and crossed that old rickety bridge on the way to the speakeasy.... or something.

I loved eq back in the day. still think back at some of the things we did back then. I activate my new account now and then and dick around with it. Wish i didnt sell Ekilam when eq2 and wow came out (.

If i wasnt playing Rift, id reroll on the progression server and see how fun that would be.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:54 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I tried eq last summer or the summer before when they gave us like 2 weeks free. I just couldn't even sort of get back into it.

It was really REALLY neat to check out some of the old spots, look through my banks and the gear...etc. I went and said hi to Corflunk and Zarchoomi and check out Kelethin but it wasn't even remotely the same.

It was the same when I got bored and activated my UO account and ran around for a day.

It's more the past events, interactions with people, the people themselves (good and bad) and even the drama that shaped those worlds we played in. The memory of what we had in EQ and the nostalgia it brings with it still makes me wistful but it's simply something we can never have again.

I often find myself wanting to recreate that in WoW but that's an impossibility.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:18 AM 

Xantheus Diabolus wrote:
20 bucks says Duty goes back to EQ.

I would agree Xan but alas, there is no more Duty or EQ account in his possession to my understanding. I think he has finally kicked it.

Kind of sad, out of all of us in the family that played EQ, he was still holding on. Officially, everyone in our family has now moved on to other games and thankfully, we are all on the same game (finally) haha.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:29 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

EQ1: Xantheus
WoW: Xantheus
It was tough for most of us that left EQ after 3 or 4 years. Imagine investing 12 and then trying to leave.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:42 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

Ive had a active subscription to EQ still. Cakvala may not be played but hes still active! hah.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:08 PM 

What's the deal with EQ2, anyway? I remember people on this board raving about it and now it's almost like it's fallen into obscurity with Rift and all that jazz. I noticed they're doing a version of Velious in EQ2 form, which sorta piqued my interest for a nanosecond. Hearing the word Velious still gives me a slight chill(badum ch) just thinking about the good times that expansion gave me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:30 PM 

EQ2 went back to shit because the lead dev (Scott Hartsman) that turned the game around left SoE and is now chief creative lead for Rift.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:04 AM 

Huh, I'm outta the loop. Anyone who can turn EQ2 around from the complete mess it was at launch deserves props, though. I just hope for the sake of those who are playing Rift right now he doesn't turn out to be the new Aradune =p

Offline Profile