All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old EQ.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:09 PM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

EQ1: Worthy
WoW: Worthy
http://www.oldeq.com/

Nice idea, but, not sure if it will work for the long haul.

Here is the FAQ.
Quote:
Is this like a private server?

No. If you read the full text on the main page, you'll see that we're proposing a "server within a server." Basically we're choosing to play a certain way, avoid certain zones and items, and keep a completely closed economy in order to emulate how EverQuest was in it's golden years. One e-mailer put it nicely when he said, "[it is] a creed to live by on [a] regular server..." Someone else put it another way, "So we're basically going to be Amish." That's right! The point is to purposely limit ourselves to old content as effectively as we can on a live server.

What about all the other EverQuest revival projects out there?

Even a brief search of the internet reveals the widespread effort of old EQ players to bring back a classic version of the game. There are emulators, so-called private servers", other well structured reconstruction projects, official progressions servers, petitions for SOE to create a "classic" server, and even people pointing out that the Mac server is still un-updated since 2004. We fully support all of these efforts and are in no way attempting to steal support for these projects. All of the above listed options have their problems. Our idea has one major problem as well: it isn't perfect. We've already pointed out that there are some things which can't be corrected just by our gameplay choices (e.g. revamped zones). But what we offer is an option which is fully operational right now, perfectly legal, and not reliant on volunteer programmers. So if you favor one of the other options, continue to support it until it comes fully online, but we urge you to join us in the meantime!

Why are you doing this on Zek, the PvP server?

The first answer is simple: because the authors of this project originally played on Tallon Zek. There are, however, more objective reasons. One is that most of the other EverQuest revival projects are completely PvE. PvP mechanics are much harder to emulate than PvE content, so many projects have not included it in their plans. Old EverQuest provides a PvP option for the many players from those servers who wish to relive the golden age of EQ.

If you have never tried PvP consider that much of the feeling you got when you first played EQ resulted from the newness of it, and joining us on Zek will add some of that newness back into your experience. To make a brief case for PvP in general: It's much more realistic that characters wouldn't have to both agree in order to fight one another. Guild rivalries are brought to a whole new level in a PvP environment. Gear choices and play styles are more complex when PvP is always a possibility. If you're concerned about playing on a PvP server, all I can say is that with the current server population and considering the zones we'll be in, PvP is likely to be a largely optional facet of the game.

What about the new death penalties?

Exp death sends you to your bind point like usual; but now you get 2 min of minor rez effects. There is nothing we can do about this. The bigger problem is that now you keep your gear; all that's on your corpse is your lost exp. This is inconsistent with game lore, it's a nod to WoW, and it feels like cheating too. When you die, do your corpse run as usual. Do not bank or swap out gear before getting to your corpse. Try to avoid fighting any mobs which you couldn't if you were naked while on your corpse run. Basically, just pretend your gear is still on your corpse and you'll be fine. You'll also be tough as nails for not taking their WoW-style handout!

Whats to stop someone from going to the Bazaar and buying a bunch of defiant gear?

Nothing. Everything is self-imposed. Therefore it is pointless to "cheat" since you'll only be hurting yourself and screwing up what everyone else in our group is trying to do. If you get frustrated with how hard it is to stick with the system, blow off steam with another character.

Can I loot new drops and sell them on my non-member trader?

Yes, as long as you keep it all straight and make sure you keep all profits out of our economy. If you don't keep it straight, I'll bring you to Crusgbone and root you underwater in the blood fountain until you drown.

Will I get kicked out of the guild if I break the rules?

That depends... If you accidentally take a 500pp donation for a port or loot a piece of defiant gear, it's up to you to reverse the pollution. If it becomes a recurring problem you will be asked to stop. If you don't respond to warnings, you will be removed. This type of thing will really be self-governing, since other members will most likely refuse your help or grouping if they suspect you broke the guidelines to obtain your level, money, or gear.

What do you mean by "pollution?"

The whole premise of Old EverQuest is that we're starting from scratch, and will be playing within a closed system (money, exp, and items). If someone transfers money from their shared bank, takes a big donation, or sells items to outsiders for hyper-inflated prices, that person is robbing the rest of us of our part in building up our new old economy. The same goes for getting PLed, gear donations, etc. The whole closed system depends on everyone's cooperation. Remember, you only hurt yourself and your guildmates by introducing "polluted" goods, services, and pp into our pure economy.

Ports used to be 20pp, C3 was 50, and rezzes were 100-300. Recently I've seen people who won't be bothered to click their stick on a corpse right in front of them for 1000pp. When I first saw pp sold on our server it was $10 for 1k pp. Now you can get almost 100k pp for that price. That's 10,000% inflation in the last 6-7 years. All pp on a server is generated from cash loot or from selling looted items to NPC vendors. The millions of pp on each server today was the result of years' worth of looting mobs by hundreds of characters. So with only our group generating pp from old world mobs, it better take a looooong time to build up a cash base. Therefore it will be easy to tell if people are polluting the economy. Since these are all self-imposed rules, we hope and believe it won't be a problem.

When will this all go down?

Soon. We've had to add this FAQ due to the positive response. Target start date was Mid January, but a couple of us will be patching and re-subscribing by the time this FAQ is live. Get on the e-mail list to keep updated.

What else can we do to make it oldschool?

Use old character models. Go to all your favorite zones. Use an old UI skin. Type out item stats. Try a new class or area so it seems harder, like it used to be. Call your friends with excitement when you get the eboots you've been trying to get for a week.

What about revamped zones?

If you like em, good for you. But if you're looking at this website, you probably hate em. We can't do anything about them. Although...we could bitch about them in ooc and shout -- maybe come up with a slogan like, "DEVAMP NORRATH NOW!"

What can I do to help?

We need outdated spell vendor lists, old tradeskill info, loot info, etc. Sign our guestbook to show your support and interest and get on the e-mail list.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Old EQ.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:11 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Several guilds do this in WoW, but there it's more feasible since you can actually stop experience gain and not level by accident.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:04 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Exp death sends you to your bind point like usual; but now you get 2 min of minor rez effects. There is nothing we can do about this. The bigger problem is that now you keep your gear; all that's on your corpse is your lost exp.

Whaaaaaaaat?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:20 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Let me guess: no 2boxing allowed?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:57 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
I give them one raid period before they crack, when some supertwinked pot chugging monk outdamages their entire raid and takes nagafen/vox then slays every last one of them in all their bronze armor wearing glory.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:20 AM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

EQ1: Worthy
WoW: Worthy
http://www.project1999.org

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:49 AM 
What does this button do?
What does this button do?

Quote:
Ports used to be 20pp, C3 was 50, and rezzes were 100-300. Recently I've seen people who won't be bothered to click their stick on a corpse right in front of them for 1000pp. When I first saw pp sold on our server it was $10 for 1k pp.

I remember selling binds at the freeport gate for 1pp. *shakes cane*

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:53 AM 

Wow, what a terrible idea.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:56 PM 

Wow, I had to pay 4pp for my bind at the Qeynos gate!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:09 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Quote:
I remember selling binds at the freeport gate for 1pp. *shakes cane*

God, I had completely forgotten about that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:40 AM 

Ahhh Freeport... That reminds me of something one of my friends used to do for shits and giggles. Beggars were always a bit of constant nuisance around there, especially at the front of the gates. Sometimes you literally couldn't run past there without a beggar or two in tow jumping after you with a nice piece of a text whining for some coin.

So this guy would occasionally give one exactly what they asked for: All in copper. He'd give them something like 99,999 copper(which if I can remember the conversation right was like 100 plat). This would put the excited n00b in a bit of a pickle. He couldn't move anywhere with it, but at the same time he couldn't exactly just throw away something so valuable. All in all some very just desserts for the nuisance beggar, and a rather ultimate EQ paradox.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:57 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

EQ1: Aaramis, Aerendil
EQ2: Aaramis, Telomir
SWOR: Aaramis
I appreciate their efforts to bring back some of the danger and challenge in EQ by limiting themselves to old-school equipment, levelling, and so on... but I can't see this working.

It's a bit like the people in various games with their own special rules, such as "must roleplay", or "permadeath" setups. It caters to a very small minority, and generally dies out after a while.

Especially when it's not a server-enforced mindset/toolset, and you sit there with your langseax and crafted armour and think to yourself "why am I not using defiant weaponry and armour and a merc?".
Given that you can level from 1 to 80ish these days in the matter of a week or two, I don't see enough people who'd want to spend the next 2 years getting to level 50 "old school" style.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:12 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Yeah, things like this are somewhat cool when it's a whole server that's working this way. The old-school PvP servers like...um...I forgot what I played on...were fun.

I can't see it being fun to be level 32 with your horrible gear struggling to kill a goblin in Runnyeye or something, meanwhile some twinked out Monk is ganking the entire place and barely letting you get a kill.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:22 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
I'd much rather see a crowd of folks restart on a lower of the low populated EQII servers and give it an honest run. I dunno if it's just nostalgia or if I'm just getting old but I really want that "OoOoOOO" feeling to come back to gaming. Definitely couldn't field the hours that old EQ used to require but I dislike the "logon and win freen shit" that WoW has created. I did ICC last night for the first time and saw 3 major upgrades.....and we only got to Rotface and Whoever.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:53 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
EQ2 Heritage Quests bring back that nostalgia without the need to go back to the original EQ. I love those things.

/jboots

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:08 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Neesha the Necro wrote:
EQ2 Heritage Quests bring back that nostalgia without the need to go back to the original EQ. I love those things.

/jboots

Yeah I recall running into the guy who was the great great great grandson of the Fishbone earring guy.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:48 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

I play in a guild where we are only allowed to use one hand. It's basically enforced through an honor system.

Trust.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:39 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Intin <Pr0n Surfers>

???

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:06 AM 
Everquest Rocks!
Everquest Rocks!

EQ1: Twittles Belittles
WoW: Flurd
WorthyIam wrote:

I've really been wanting to play that one for awhile, I've been playing ProjectEQ a bit but it's lost it's charm now that it has GoD.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:54 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

The Mac EQ server ends at PoP :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:21 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

On a pvp server? Man they are going to be getting ganked left and right.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:03 AM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

I play on Project 1999 these days. We're doin some PoHate/Fear raids now, it's pretty authentic old school. Quite fun too. Look me up if you play.

--Dar

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:28 PM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

I'm thinking this project1999 server might be more fun with more people. So far the only other person I was playing with logged in a fit of rage

Offline Profile