It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:25 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dragon Age: Origins
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:35 PM 

Sort of like an un-official Never Winter Nights 3. It does not follow the D & D rule set. Google it and pull up some cool trailers, youtube and what not. I think it looks pretty good.

I have my roots set in the old commodore 64 games, the old D & D ones and Ultima 1,2,3 series games. I like controlling a small war party with character development as well as role playing. To me, it looks real promising.

Discuss….

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:57 AM 
Noob
Noob

Remember the "Gold Box" Games, heh, that was fun gaming.

I still have mine... somewhere.

~Braken

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:28 PM 

When you 'zone'...Please insert disk 6.

old school D&D games were great.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:21 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Masjaun wrote:
I have my roots set in the old commodore 64 games, the old D & D ones and Ultima 1,2,3 series games. I like controlling a small war party with character development as well as role playing. To me, it looks real promising.

Praise its glory! Give me Ultima 4 or a Bard's Tale game anyday.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:35 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
Oh, I would definitely love to release the passion from my bulging honor bags. ACTION NOW! INDEED!

Can your skilled WoW veterans help me with that too?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:46 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

lol, you have to give him credit for actually finding the PC game forums at least.

30k honor per day is almost nothing now, though, IMO. At 1.2k-ish honor per game, +1k daily... throw in some HKs and such, that's maybe 15-20 games?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:39 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
30k a day was shit back "in the day" also.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:44 PM 

Would be neat if Bioware or whoever did a remake or sequel to Planescape: Torment. Loved that game...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:32 AM 

http://store.steampowered.com/app/901037/

The count down. It keeps changing daily + or - a few days each time, once it was up to 06 November but now it's back down to 02 November.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:38 PM 

If there is one game that should have had co op, this one is it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:36 AM 

Co-op to me means more hack and slash orientated. I’m thinking that games like Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect would have made poor Co-op games because they are more like epic rpg’s. I think that they are labeling this game an epic rpg or something. I’m going to play for story immersion as well as hack and slash but I would hate to have a friend on and have to pause for cut scenes while we’re both frothing at the mouth for monsters to slay. Diablo and Dungeon Siege type games made awesome co-op games, they were, jump into the game and start fighting type games.

Character generator is nice too. I wish that I could look at some stats and inventory type stuff as well as starting skills and what not….but so far I have made just about every character combo that I can think of.

I’m real excited about the previews and pre-reviews of this game. I can’t wait for the first week of November, it’s killing me….Dragon Age comes out, I fly back home to the states after a year in gay ass Iraq and my new floor pans in my Mustang (see sig) will be installed (few $100 later). I will also get to go on 30 days leave so that I can level my 5th, 6th and maybe 7th character to level 85 in EQ….gonna be a great month!

1 week 6 days and 9 hours…woot. It’s either the 20gig download on Iraq bandwidth or I can enlist in the aid of some of my Iraqi local friends whom may be able to get a boot leg copy of the game for me. Side note, I’ve picked up just about every game that I can think of out here for like $1…to include AutoCad, windows 10 all the office stuff….it’s crazy and it’s making me lazy not looking up the stuff and downloading it myself.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:57 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

I am sad for you if all co-op is good for is hack and slash. I'd rather have the choice even if that mean having to pause for cutscenes.

There is only one reason games like that don't have co-op. It's because developers don't want to have to come up with ways to handle events, when you go each your separate ways etc... Not because people have to pause on cutscenes.

Take Oblivion or Fallout 3 for instance. Those game would be so nice if you would be able to host a game and your friends could join as party members. Who cares if they are not the main character around which the story evolve? At least they would be there to play with you. Instead you are there, alone.

Don't tell me to play a MMO if I want to play a RPG with friends, you know it's not the same thing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:07 AM 

I got it….this isn’t the 90’s anymore. I’d rather have online options too. Based off of previous games from these guys, you spend a lot of time managing your characters, conversation options, maybe a save and re-load to try different things, oh and cut scenes….It doesn’t seem conducive to online play style.

I’ve played NWN 1 & 2 and Baulders Gate with friends and it is great, I agree.

And don’t be sad for me, I’m actually a good person in real life. I’m sorry if it sounded like I was telling you how to play an RPG, I spend all day telling troops over here what to do and it’s tough and stressful…the last thing I want to do is do it on my free time…..It was stated as my point of view…me from the first sentence.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:03 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

How do i get over the broken bridge in the gauntlet quest? i have gotten all 4 pieces to show up at once, but none of them are solid. :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:50 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
When you enter, the right side is the side that you use to make the blocks appear. The left side is to make them solid.

You need to make the first 2 blocks appear with 1 character, then use 2 others to make them solid. Then move the final character to the 2nd block. Then move the character that made the first block solid to the right side and light up blocks 2 and 3, move the character lighting up blocks 1 and 2 to the left side to light up block 3, move the 4th character to block 3...and hopefully you get the gist of it from there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:08 AM 

Finally beat it. Final thoughts are pretty much what I started with. Good story and all. It just didn't feel as deep as Mass Effect or KotoR, but did manage to remain enjoyable throughout.. Actually it felt quite short. Worth a second playthrough tho, if anything just to see all the different combination of character interaction. Think I'll focus on a ranger this time around. Or pick my mage back up and just be a dickhead to everyone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:02 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

I really enjoyed Mass Effect as well, it was nice and original but I think most of that is because it was sci fi...fantasy is pretty played out. I mean, was it really necessary to have the urn in the game...and the silly Indiana Jones shit? That bugged me the most. The dwarves story seemed pretty unique though, except for the LAVA FLOW THROUGH THE CITY OF IRONFOR...ORZAMAAR.

Also, I think they need to have more companion side quests because that really helps develop the characters imo.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:02 AM 

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:07 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Khameir
WoW: Khameir
Rift: Khameir
EQ2: Khameir
LoL: Khameir
SWOR: Khameir
Oh God my EYES!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:45 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

What a glorious screenshot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:14 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
That's hot

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:09 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
Ewww, dwarfs and elves.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:44 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
mmmm dwarves.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:15 AM 

Killing dragons is awesome!

I'm with Givin, I was going to play again but as a dick. Kill and say no to everyone.

I found a cool mod that let you respec. Kinda handy for when you pick up characters. It's called WRK respec potion mod 1.5. Google it and follow the instructions.

I'm kinda mad that dragon and drake scale armour isn't that much better than the blood armour that you get for free at the begining of the game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:06 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

is there any difference between the 2 dudes fighting to be the shortie king boy to the story outcome or goodies? :p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:34 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
I haven't finished it but I really like it. Givin your screenshot made me about piss myself.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:19 AM 

It reminds me of my chick making out with that blue alien chick in Mass Effect.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:22 AM 

I'm almost done with this game. This game doesn't deserve the 9's and 9.5's that it got from the gaming sites.

- Where was the story behind the darkspawn? The archdemon has no presence whatsoever. Where's the villain? I thought it was Loghain, but all of that ended with a wimper, not a bang. The reviews I read lead me to believe this was one of the best-written epics in a long time, but I could see all of the plot twists from a mile away.
- The combat is decent, but repetitive and doesn't seem to change much, tactically. Every battle is approached more or less the same way. Quite frankly, it's a step down from Jade Empire, Mass Effect and even Baldurs Gate 2, when spellcasting actually seemed to have an impact on the battlefield. There's something about these games, but I remember Fireball actually being a bit of a game changer (BG2). The action is neither as visceral as Mass Effect or as action-oriented as Jade Empire. It's this weird hybrid where you have to hope the AI for your healer doesn't burn all her mana casting Rejuvenate and when you actually need her to heal your melee, she's got nothing.
- The graphics on the 360 version are terrible compared to what the device can do.
- The character development is not good. I kept checking back with my party mates periodically to see if they had anything new to say and.. nope, they didn't.
- I got the best armor in the game less than halfway through it, unless there's something to come that I haven't found yet in the final few hours of gameplay. Similarly, there is apparently nothing better than dragonbone, and I've been looting dragonbone since about halfway through the game.

It's not a bad game at all, I enjoyed it. But it's nowhere close to Fallout 3 or even Mass Effect, which did something different.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:28 PM 

If you want repetetive combat go check out Mass Effect again. Especially the vehicle battles, good lord. I'm not sure how there is any comparison though to spells having a large outcome on the battle. The effect of them is far more pronounced in Dragon Age than it ever was in Mass Effect, maybe not Baldur's Gate 2 though. I've casted too many CC spells to count, and many saved my ass countless times.

I'm not sure why you put Rejuvenate as one of your AI spells if you're running out of mana consistently. It's a more of a tactical spell, and should probably be micromanaged instead of just lumped into the "autocast this every time I'm below 25 percent energy... which is always" category. Besides, if they added another qualifier such as "Only cast this if BOTH X and X are true" it would probably require a bit more programming. Maybe not substantially more if they implemented it right, but adding in all the bars and such for it would probably have been time-consuming. It's still a rather robust AI system IMO, especially if used correctly.

I found the character development to be rather consistent myself. Too often I found myself in the camp where my party members came up to me with even more to say(often about what I just did), and an increased number of dialogue options. Certainly more dialogue in this game than Mass Effect ever had, that much is for sure.

The game isn't perfect, but for what it is and tries to be I have a hard time thinking of something else that is of better quality.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:04 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

I don't mind the plot being predictable, the story is enjoyable anyway. Even if it's just another version of Lord of the Ring.

But did they have to make the camera suck that much? Hmmm i need to re-install Baldurs Gate 2... I wonder if it run well if at all in Win 7 x64.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:36 PM 
What does this button do?

Rift: Bigteeth
Eve Online Handle: Bigteeth
My dragon age just started crashing every 3-4 zone loads in Win 7 64, mind you I already beat it twice, dunno what happened...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:05 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

I'd stop playing it if I were you. You might end up with an effed up graphics card like me. I was black screening (with audio loop, manual restart). Hope it's not happening to you :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:58 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I ordered the PS3 version over the weekend since it was $34.99 on Amazon. I would have gotten it for the PC, but mine has trouble even running NWN2 with any kind of decent settings so I think this game is out of the picture.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:01 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Bigteeth wrote:
My dragon age just started crashing every 3-4 zone loads in Win 7 64, mind you I already beat it twice, dunno what happened...

Err I hope there are no issues with Windows 7 64-bit and Dragon Age. Maybe an update is causing these issues for ya.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:11 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Evilundead Afterlife wrote:
Bigteeth wrote:

Err I hope there are no issues with Windows 7 64-bit and Dragon Age. Maybe an update is causing these issues for ya.

Microsoft is investigating it. So guessing it has nothing to do with Dragon Age.

Black Screen of Death

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:37 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
black screen of death happens after you login and it doesn't go any farther. it's not an issue with apps.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:26 AM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Im going to get this for the PS3 is there a big difference between PC and the console?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:26 PM 

Yes - the ports to consoles sucked. Gamespot gave the PC version a 9.5, PS3 9.0 and 360 8.5. The PS3 version suffered less than the 360 version but has some slowdown issues from what I've read. Stay away from the 360 version.

Control of the characters is also a bit different from what I've read. For me, console controls were not a very enjoyable experience. /shrug

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:59 PM 

Ha, too bad there's no cut scenes for the "surprise me" option at the brothel.

Quote:
- Where was the story behind the darkspawn? The archdemon has no presence whatsoever. Where's the villain? I thought it was Loghain, but all of that ended with a wimper, not a bang. The reviews I read lead me to believe this was one of the best-written epics in a long time, but I could see all of the plot twists from a mile away.

I was thinking maybe Flemeth. That would make a whole nice circle of life thing with the blight, witch of the wilds, the wardens, and Morrigan's breeding idea. A new Flemeth is born and the whole thing starts over again.

Offline Profile