All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RAVE: Military Families.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:15 PM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

EQ1: Worthy
WoW: Worthy
I am ex Navy.
I would go out on deployments as long as 6 months on the submarines I was on.

I was single, so, even though it sucked, it was not as bad for me as it was for people who missed their families.

I am sure Bello can relate.

This story is a keeper. Especially the video.(Video link at bottom.)
Quote:
Air Force sergeant returns early, surprises daughter
By Matt Woolbright - Express-News

Air Force Master Sgt. Joseph Myers had only one wish while in the desert sands of Iraq: Get home before the end of his daughter's fourth-grade year.

It almost didn't happen. Almost.

On Thursday, the next-to-last day of class at Randolph Elementary School, the airman's wish came true.

An emotional Myers, still dressed in his brown-and-tan fatigues, surprised his daughter in her class, returning from a year in Iraq nine days before his tour ended.

Hannah Eschrig's jaw dropped and she began crying as her father lifted her into an embrace. Several minutes passed as the hug continued before Hannah could even speak.

“It was the culmination of 350 days of waiting to be back with my daughter and family,” said Myers, 41. “I missed an entire fourth-grade year. My goal was to be back before her final day so I could say I was there; it was awesome.”

The Air Force informed Myers of his early return a few weeks ago, and when his wife told a coworker, the idea of a surprise was born. To make it happen, Tami Myers worked with the public affairs department at Randolph AFB and with the school, which serves the children of military parents, many of whom are deployed in combat zones and elsewhere overseas.

“We are privileged and blessed to serve this military community, and homecomings are the best part of military life,” said Principal Karen Bessette of Randolph Elementary.

Myers' reunion with 10-year-old Hannah was his second of the day. He reunited with his 19-month-old daughter, Adison, just before surprising Hannah.

Adison didn't know how to react, burying her face into her mom before uttering, “Hi, Daddy,” and bringing tears to many of the people there.

Hannah's class was interrupted when Bessette announced that some friends would be talking to the class and taking pictures. When everyone was in place, mom and dad walked in.

Hannah's expression and instant tears drove her mother to tears as well as she watched her daughter and husband reunite.

“I was so excited, I couldn't believe it,” Hannah said. “I don't really remember what happened because I was just so happy.”

After the initial shock passed, one of the boys in Hannah's class asked Myers how much he had missed her.

“I can't describe in words how much ... 350 days is just way too long,” Myers said.

Hannah has a lot in mind for things she wants to do with her dad now that he's home.

“I want to go to Fiesta Texas with him because that's what we used to do together,” Hannah said. “I've missed his smiling face and I love dancing with him and putting makeup on him.”

A blushing Myers said he's just happy to be home with his family.

Video Clip to bring a tear to your eyes.(Link)

When we think of people making sacrifices to defend the USA, we think of the danger they put themselves in, but, I think that this is right up there with that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:50 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

It's usually a pretty emotional event when a military member returns from deployment. For some it brings tears of joy. For other tears of sadness because that means they can't readily go spread their legs for the town now that hubby is back. No...no...I'm not bitter....really, I'm not.

But, seriously, that's good stuff Worthy. It's quite a sight to see how family members react, especially little kids, when mommy or daddy surprise them by simply showing up unannounced.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:28 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Yeah, the risking life and limb is one thing...but I just cannot imagine - as the serviceperson or the family - being split up for those kinds of chunks of time.

Just takes a really special kind of person I guess. I simply could not fathom being apart from my wife for a week - or a friggin year!! - and nevermind how it would be if we had kids.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:50 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Oh that's bullshit. They signed up for the military and being apart from their families is part of it. Who gives a shit.

On a side note, my life rocks!

<inserting this for Skycrasher since he isn't here anymore....>

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:59 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Hahah, I read the first line and did a double take on your name to make sure it was really you saying that because I didn't believe it.

...then I saw the editor's note and it all made sense!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:25 PM 
Spider Slayer

They do both have x's bracketing their names. We could be onto something...

Offline Profile