It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:26 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eve Online
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:00 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
So I've been playing Eve for 2 weeks now and I really enjoy it. I think I just like the difference in it and other MMORPGs. It's a different pace, it's in SPACE, and it just has a totally unique feel that I am enjoying (right now). There's quite a steep learning curve for the game, which is also a 'nice' change. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface on what there is to do. Currently, I am playing a Minmatar (I think?) and flying around on a Rifter with three 200mm Autocannons.

In saying that, I have a few questions that some of you may be able to help me with. There's TONS of information online, of course, but it's sometimes difficult to sift through it all to find what I am looking for.

• I notice that I can join a militia. Do I want to do this right away? What are the advantages/disadvantages of doing so?
  • When should I go visit the Sisters of Eve to start that epic (?) line of missions?
  • When I am in a station, I notice various Corporations on the right hand side that I can read about (and join, I assume). Are these Corporations the ones made by players (like guilds) or are they NPC Corporations for starting out?
  • Will the game turn into a grief-fest where everywhere I go, there are people camping Stargates?
  • Is there anything you'd suggest I "must do right away!" or any ships I should go for other than the Rifter at the early stages of the game?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Eve Online
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:11 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
Download EveMon. EveMon is the ultimate skill planner for the game. Planning your skill training is key.

GET YOUR LEARNING SKILLS UP, FIRST. It'll be a boring few weeks of training but meanwhile you can learn how to pilot, navigate, etc.

Militias were introduced recently as a way to improve reputation and earn nice rewards within your faction. If you are not in a player corp, you can join. If you are in a player corp, your whole corp has to join.

Grief-fests are (for most players) only in lowsec. Some corps do delight in entering highsec to hunt down targets. They open themselves to Concord retaliation in doing so.

The corps on the side are player corps. You can join them. I'd avoid doing so. If you're truly new, I'd look for a member of EVE University and join them. AWESOME training corp.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:19 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Carry insurance. The second you don't you'll get bitch slapped by pirates! Least, that's what happened to me when I used to play.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:13 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I see repeated mention of getting my 8 learning skills up to level 4 or something. What, exactly, are these skills? As it is now, I pretty much just train everything. Then when I see something that I need for a weapon or something, I buy that and train it as well. I know there are some I should just bite the bullet on and train (the ones that take a full day) but I am just unsure on what the exact ones are that I should be training.

As far as insurance, I have insurance and my clone up-to-date. I've already had to cash in once because some dude killed me then pod killed me. Of course, then it put me back in a station and I had no idea where my wreckage was so whatever could have been looted from the wreckage was gone for good (not that it really mattered, since I have plenty of money and junk laying around). When I got killed, I think insurance gave me 250k ISK for my ship, as well as a n00b ship.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:40 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
http://wiki.eveonline.com/wiki/Item_Database:Skills:Learning

For now just work on those plus the mechanic/engineer/gunnery and navigation skills that you need for the Rifter. Eventually you'll want to work your way up to a battlecruiser. Mostly PvE. Then you can decide where you want to go from there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:05 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Thanks, I had NONE of those. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:57 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Their purpose isn't exactly apparent from the beginning, but what they do is augment stats which in turn shorten training time. If I were still playing I'd help ya out, but I second the Eve University motion. The folks are awesome.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:16 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Supposedly, they upgraded all of the graphics. I just started playing, so I have nothing to compare them to, but the ship models are pretty sweet-looking.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:58 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I'm still a member of CAS (Gallente noob corp), there are some seriously deranged people in that corp, so it's amusing when I have time to shoot things for an hour or so.

If you don't have salvaging, get salvaging. If you haven't done the tutorials yet, do em (even if they're boring.) You get a bunch of free shit out of them (including salvaging)

First thing I did was get into a destroyer. Put 6 125mm railguns and 2 salvagers on it. It's fairly good money for noobs. I'm just about to break into L2 missions, and I'm finding cruisers kinda meh. I've been inactive for a while though with finals coming up, so I'm alternating between capping my learning (x1s to 5 and x3s to 4) and astrogeology 5 --> Exhumers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:54 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Yea, I couldn't imagine trying to play the game without the tutorial.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:33 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
battleclinic.com

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:45 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Here is a nice list of the basic core skills you'll want to learn to level 4 for any ship you fly. Also check the learning tab at top too.

http://www.kylania.com/eve/skills.php

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:51 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Neesha the Necro wrote:
  • I notice that I can join a militia. Do I want to do this right away? What are the advantages/disadvantages of doing so? Advantage, you can fire on any of the other 3 faction militias without CONCORD getting involved. Disadvantage..You will be fired on. It's basicly when 2 corps have a wardec, they can fight in hishsec, but for the NPC faction corp.
  • When should I go visit the Sisters of Eve to start that epic (?) line of missions? Not sure.
  • When I am in a station, I notice various Corporations on the right hand side that I can read about (and join, I assume). Are these Corporations the ones made by players (like guilds) or are they NPC Corporations for starting out? You only join NPC corp when dropping from a player corp. The ones you see listed in station are all player corps.
  • Will the game turn into a grief-fest where everywhere I go, there are people camping Stargates? Not sure, I I'm scared of lowsec :/
  • Is there anything you'd suggest I "must do right away!" or any ships I should go for other than the Rifter at the early stages of the game? Drone skills are nice boost for PvE.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:07 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Oh yeah, for epic arc go see Sister Alitura (Those 3 tutorial agents will each give you directions after you complete their ten step missions. Alitura is in the Arnon system, though i can't remember which station atm.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:09 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Low-sec isn't anything to be terrified of, unless it's Goon space. You can spot most gate camps by checking the "# of pilots killed" option highlighter on the space map. Then the areas where there is a lot of PvP action will glow.

Of course this doesn't help if the camp was just established. :P

Also, be wary when you're in lowsec and another pilot jumps in. Could be a pirate, so before traveling there you need to learn how to bookmark and use safe spots.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:21 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I have 7mil SP and just about all of it in mining.. lol lowsec is scarey, been tempted to try to mine there but with how slow my ships are to warp. I'm just easy target for a pirate.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:58 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Garborg - focus on Drone skillss and get yourself some solid T2 drones. They will keep the NPC pirates away and, depending on how you have them set up, can give you a few moments from PC raiders.

Further, when you start mining, align to a safe spot. Hotkey the warp command.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:19 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I do most of my mining from mission sites atm.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:30 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I bought a Thrasher. 7 weapon slots is pretty nifty. Should I already have Drones (I don't) or is that really not important until later?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:43 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Yeah, mining lowsec is only for those who are in space controlled by their corporation. Miners are the #1 target of pirates.

This is making me want to start playing again, lol.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:21 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I had been an interested bystander for a while (like back to the days when it first came out and our old pal, Uhgree, used to talk about it). Since I got my new computer, I've been giving more stuff a peek just to finally be able to enjoy games in all their glory (quite a leap from my AGP video card days). Even though I didn't want another long-term type commitment, since I already spend too much time at my computer, I decided to give Eve a shot because, frankly, it was taunting me. I mean everywhere I turned, it seemed, there was an article about Eve on my Google Reader or an advertisement for the game.

So I read a little about it and watched some player-made videos (which REALLY got me interested), and here I am 3 weeks later with a full account. The 3.1 patch in WoW hasn't exactly gotten me excited so I find myself looking forward to logging into Eve and seeing new stuff ahead of logging into WoW and doing more daily quests or levelling my fishing. I still like to raid (even though I think fights with vehicles are fucking stupid, just like fights that require resist gear), but in my "down-time" I am getting more enjoyment out of flying around in my space ship instead of flying around on my drake. It could all change when I get into lower-security areas, but it's been pretty enjoyable so far.

It's actually kind of fun being a n00b.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:24 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

ps:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:26 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

The PvE does get old quick FYI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:18 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Yeah, if you're PVE regularly, don't burn the candle at both ends. It's really not a 24/7 capable game like we're used to.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:15 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Reactivated my old account - Sophlyn Rath. Breaking rocks for fun and profit.

Last edited by Crowde Control on Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:26 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:22 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

Hi Neesha - I still play eve (Tay Silvermoon) if I can help explain anything in game or out let me know.

I went the pve route mostly - Character is Industrialist/mission runner. I'm just learning how to play in 0.0 and attempt to stay alive currently. I still use a thrasher regularly (just for salvaging missions instead of running them). This game is dangerous- I can never manage to focus on just one area of the game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:06 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Is this game anything like Master of Orion?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:40 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

It looks like there could be some similarities, but I wouldn't say it's like Master of Orion any more than I'd say World of Warcraft is like The Bard's Tale. Then again, I am just going on what I read on the wiki for Master of Orion, so maybe it is. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:27 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

It's more like Privateer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:35 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
those graphics are pretty stunning in that video. Downloading 2 week trial now, figure what the hell. I'll check it out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:25 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Make sure you do the tutorial, and read the n00b chat.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:52 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Are you still playing Eve Online, Neesha?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:53 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
I never looked at this game seriously, but I loved Privateer back in the day. Is that video clip actual footage of game play? If I start out and make a fighter type ship, and I just going to get destroyed by people that have been playing the game for years already?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:59 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Drajeck wrote:
I never looked at this game seriously, but I loved Privateer back in the day. Is that video clip actual footage of game play? If I start out and make a fighter type ship, and I just going to get destroyed by people that have been playing the game for years already?

PVP (usually) only happens in non-secure space. If you stay in secure space, you're fairly safe until you get your space-legs. There are exceptions, but if someone attacks someone else in secure-space, the police force (CONCORD) warps in and nukes the feck out of the perpetrator. Time to CONCORD arrival depends on the particular 'safety' rating of the space.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:20 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

I need a sponsor for the 4.5 million ISK knowledge skill books! =)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:07 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Yes, Melfice, I am still playing when I can find time. Between work and Raiding in WoW 4 nights a week, it's pretty hard to find that time, though.

Yes, Drajeck, that is gameplay footage. Early on, however, you obviously won't have big fleet battles. But if you do the missions, it will almost always be you vs. several NPCs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:05 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Well I logged in to see that it's about fifty jumps to where my allies moved, so I'm back in with my mission running toon. I might try out faction warfare but I need to get my standings back up for a jump clone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:49 AM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
Crowde Control wrote:
Carry insurance. The second you don't you'll get bitch slapped by pirates! Least, that's what happened to me when I used to play.

How could a insurance policy protect your 300 million isk rokh?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:10 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

30% of your investment is better than a rookie fighter and a 1 unit cargo of Tritanium.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:48 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Yep. The ship itself is like 130 million, depending on how it's fitted, it would certainly be more expensive. I pay 30% and I get nearly all of it back. Eventually I will lose it, it's the nature of the game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:51 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I logged in yesterday to see that I was no longer in n00b chat. I guess I'm screwed now. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:54 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I read today that they reached the 300,000 subscribers mark. Supposedly they have seen a 22% increase in the number of subscribers over the last 5 months. Not too shabby.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:52 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Where's everyone living? I'm over in Caldari space near Oimmo. Once folks can get jump cloned up we should meet and pop a few ships in 0.0. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:52 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I'm out in Ashi, only a few short hops from Delve, where the universe goes to shit quickly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:51 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Definitely. I'm in Caldari myself. Name is Taliesn (shocker). Post up, and we'll meet up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:25 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

rugen wrote:
those graphics are pretty stunning in that video. Downloading 2 week trial now, figure what the hell. I'll check it out.

So how did you end up finding it Rugen?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:28 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I'm usually in gallente, but the epic arc just took me into caldari.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:34 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

I can't go into Gallente space, I think I pirated there at some point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:16 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
HOLY CHRIST that looks sweet. I'm not playing anything MMO atm...I may try to check it out. After I play through the latest single player I bought.

Serious question...and yes it will sound silly. What 'space' is it like. Is it like...Firefly-ish? Dune-ish? Star Wars? Star Trek?

Ice Pirates?

:)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:54 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Think Deep Space Nine levels of politics (and periods of excitement) w/o all the faggotry + some BSG feeling combat sequences.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:33 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

If you want to know just how important metagaming is to EVE, I suggest reading the ungodly long war threads on F13 of FoH. The Goon/BoB war has spanned over 2 years.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:55 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

And came to a pretty dramatic climax (assuming it ended?).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:36 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

...time will tell.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:40 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Well, BoB getting BPO(s) from a GM created a nice flame-fest too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:54 PM 

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
I haven't played eve for well over a year, but I forgot to cancel my 6 month period subscription twice, so I just been logging in and keeping the skill training going. When I quit playing, my skill points were around 14 million, last night I noticed they were over 25 million.

I should try playing, as I have maxed out my rail guns and shielding since I last fought a battle, but I may be so out of practice I could end up blowing my fancy rokh all to hell from a tiny mistake!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:56 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

Was thinking of starting this. Is this a game that works better with a joystick? I haven't used one in ages. Or is it all driven by your keyboard or mouse? what about fighting is it like wing commander or elite or is it keyboard?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:45 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

It's nothing like Wing Commander. It's all point-and-click. A joystick is useless.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:49 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
The only thing Eve has in common with Wing Commander is that they both take place in space. Eve is a game of menus on top of menus, with a ton of point and click spaceship movement thrown in for flavor. Even with a redesigned tutorial, it has an incredibly steep learning curve. There is no joystick elements to this game at all.

It's a cutthroat game of corporation politics, backstabbing and micromanagement on a grand level.

The game you want is called Jumpgate Evolution, and isn't out yet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:26 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I thought this is a pretty cool video showing the scale of some of the ships in Eve (thanks massively.com).

source

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:09 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Who's still playing? The Lanys room has been empty for so long I finally turned it off.

Offline Profile