It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:27 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:54 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

1st look back at the Lanys punditocracy

2nd look back at the Lanys punditocracy

Some of what I’ve posted here I’ve used in a previous look back, but I wanted this post to be the overall look at our views of the 2008 Presidential election. It took some time bringing it all together so I hope you enjoy. I chose predictive comments in particular, but other than that, not a whole lot of rhyme or reason to what I picked out. Just what stuck out to me.

Supreme Court Nominee - S. Alito (the swing vote)
Jateki 1/12/06 wrote:
Hillary Clinton will be our next president and she'll probably have some nominations herself.

Karthun 1/12/06 wrote:
Or McCain

SurcamStances 1/12/06 wrote:
Neither Hillary Clinton nor John McCain will be our next president. I'm quite sure of that.

It's gonna be a darkhorse I think. No incumbent president running, no vice president running. It's wide open, ripe for someone fresh. Maybe that's wishful thinking.

Caladaar 1/12/06 wrote:
They need to lower the age shit so Obama can run!

monocot 1/12/06 wrote:
Barack is over 35, so age wise he is qualified. What are you wanting to lower the age limit to?

TarotofLanys 1/13/06 wrote:
Newt may be a polished speaker, but he was also a bit of a blowhard, and was someone people liked to hate. I suppose much like Hillary. McCain has at this point, the respect of a lot of Americans across party lines. Outside of his health and potential smears from the Keating 7 shit, he's the best hope of the GOP to retain power.

At least visibly at the moment. An election is pretty much anyone's ball game at this point in time. Look how far Howard Dean came with the last election, and few had heard his name prior to that.

Arkayn420 1/13/06 wrote:
Hillary really doesn't have a chance in hell. I would be VERY surprised if she even made it through the primaries as the nomination, let alone getting to the big dance.

SurcamStances 1/13/06 wrote:
I'll be keeping this quote to pull back out in 2008. It's just idiotic to say she doesn't have a chance in hell. Feasible to say she won't win, silly to say she doesn't have a chance.

Arkayn420 1/13/06 wrote:
And it's a safe bet that once 2008 rolls around you won't be busting out with it again. Keep it though.

A rare win for Arkayn 
krby71 1/13/06 wrote:
Hillary has a good shot at winning but she has a built in 50+% negative rating. That and any candidate/campaign manager worth anything would call her out on all here "triangulations" asking her what she really stands on.

John McCain is not as strong as you people would like to believe. He has wounded himself in the eyes of many Republicans. To me he is always looking to get TV time.

I think John Edwards has a better shot than any of the other democrats listed.

I also think that the frontrunner for the 2008 election won't really be known until 2008. I don't think it will be McCain, Rudy, Newt or Powell. Pay attention to what happens in Iowa next week.

You people have let me down...

Love Khan’s opening post in this thread.
Hess Steelskin 2/1/06 wrote:
Like it or not, America identifies itself as conservative. And a Republican will win the White House again next election, congress will remain Republican and the Supreme Court will finally start moving in the right direction: Judicial restraint and removing things that are NOT IN THERE like so called "abortion rights" and cities in this nation denying people their second amendment rights.

But, by all means, continue throwing hollow insults about not watching the State of the Union while claiming to know EVERYTHING about politics. Claim that Bush said nothing new when intelligent folks know he did. Just go back and hug your Obama poster. Take care of that guy, he's your only shot. Keep him away from Ted Kennedy and Molly Ivins ok?

Really, after last night, we'd be desperate too. Hillary in 08! Dont make me fucking laugh.

Caladaar 2/1/06 wrote:
Republicans will win the next election, but not because of anything they do.

They will win because the Democrats are fucking pussies and totally suck at the 'game'.

Republicans (especially this current generation), are exceedingly good at polarizing the issues and making everything black-and-white.

BOTH sides are only interested in maintaining the status-quo.

Jateki 2/1/06 wrote:
I don't see how, the democrats are winning back a majority in anything with that idiot Dean spending all their cash before the actual election.

I think Dean deserves a lot of credit for laying the 50 state groundwork for Obama.
bagsworth 2/1/06 wrote:
The GOP will be wrested away from you dingbats, it has nothing to do with Democrats. We need to clean our own house - purge if you will the bible thumpers.

Azzi 2/1/06 wrote:
I like McCain.

Run him for president without a Bush campaign derailing him with rumors of having black illegitmate children, and he could win. I'd cross party lines for McCain.

Jateki 2/1/06 wrote:
I'd like to see McCain or Newt run on the GOP ticket. My first choice is McCain and I was hoping that he would win the nomination back in '99. I'm not sure if he wants to put himself through all the bullshit again though. Hopefully he steps up and runs, but for some reason I'm thinking he might not want to.

Newt, naw. McCain, maybe. There are good Republican candidates out there. And whoever that is, they will win.

Dream Ticket?
SurcamStances 10/5/06 wrote:
Obama(D-IL), Sebelius(D-KS)

Kulamiena 10/6/06 wrote:
Or Joe Biden/ Mitt Romney

Depx 10/6/06 wrote:
Obama/Kucinich

Belzek 11/3/06 wrote:
Feingold/Obama

Kulamiena 11/1/06 wrote:
I've decided my votes and support are going towards divided government until there is some kind of Lobbyist & Campaign Finance Reform).

Kula, ever undecided 
Barack Obama creates presidential exploratory committee!
joxur 1/16/07 wrote:
McCain had my respect and lost it. He's a smelly, megahuge pussy.

xskycrasherx 1/16/07 wrote:
He's not going to have a fucking shot. You've got to be kidding me. He'll be another spoiler just like Nader, Perot, and all those other fuckheads.

Neesha the Necro 1/16/07 wrote:
Anyone who thinks a guy named Barack Obama is going to win an election to become President of the United States has lost touch with reality. The general population won't be able to look past his name/heritage, trust me.

Jateki 1/16/07 wrote:
Maybe at first Neesha, but after he gets more national attention people will come around.

So prophetic Jateki.
Neesha the Necro 1/16/07 wrote:
Trust me on this one, that dude will never be President of the United States of America. Never.

rugen 1/16/07 wrote:
As much as I am hopeful to see Obama on a presidential bid, it isn't THIS time. He needs to do his time in the Senate and let people see more of what he is about. I, personally, need to see that he can hang onto those grand ideals he is so wonderful at expressing in his speeches without selling his soul in the senate.

Xkhanx 1/17/07 wrote:
Quote:
Maybe at first Neesha, but after he gets more national attention people will come around.

The only thing him running for Pres will do is get the people who never vote out to the polls and vote for someone else. Anyone else....

Joe Shit Head American says "Booolsheeeit, Ain't no nigah gonna run mah kuntry".

SurcamStances 1/17/07 wrote:
I hear all the skepticism about Obama, the response is obvious. What has he done? But as John Edwards showed in '04, it'll really be about what did he do in the campaign, and how well did he raise money.

As far as racists coming out against him, I just don't see them as such a powerful force that they could torpedo his campaign, especially in the Democratic primaries.

I'm not putting all my eggs in the Obama basket by any means, I understand full well he has a long way to go. It's just exciting for me that he's even in this position. I relate alot to Senator Obama, we're both mixed, both have a white mom from Kansas, but more than anything I believe he has the right message for this country in '08. No more red state, blue state bullshit, it's about America as a whole. We Americans have got to take a step away from the hot controversies of the day, and start taking the long view. I know all his bipartisan rhetoric is easier said than done, but after the Karl Rove politics of the last 6 years, it's what I long for in politics.

Tarot 1/17/07 wrote:
Anyway I don't see Obama with his lack of experience getting a front ticket for the Dems. Nor do I think he'd win, unless the Republicans ran a total idiot. He could easily get the VP slot, which would position him for a presidential run in 8 years (assuming the Dems win, and win 2 terms, and end office on a happy note).

Tarot 1/17/07 wrote:
As far as Republicans go, pretty sure it will be McCain and someone on a ticket. And McCain is pissing off some Republicans by cozing up to the religious right.

krby71 1/17/07 wrote:
Personally, as a politician I CAN NOT STAND John McCain. He is a War Hero. I celebrate everything that he had accomplished for and while in the service. I would not vote for him for President.

Kulamiena 1/17/07 wrote:
As for why I, personally, won't support Obama for the Democratic ticket it's pretty simple: any candidate who is not a white, middle-aged male needs to have it all... experience, intelligence, charisma, seriousness, command of the language. Obama has jumped the gun. I had hoped that he (or a short list of others) would be the one to start breaking some barriers down but unless his candidacy is a way to more clout as a v.p. candidate he has hurt his chances of ever being the one. By the way, I felt the same experience-related things were lacking in Edwards as a candidate.

Kulamiena, undecided from the start. :)

Latest '08 Race Poll
Hunee 2/27/07 wrote:
Obama is going to peak too early and everyone is going to shit storm him.

Devyn 2/28/07 wrote:
I'm being an optimist this election and saying Obama all the way.

WilleyCoyote 2/28/07 wrote:
Do you really think a black nerd will have any kind of a chance aginst Rudy? Its all about looks and image. Obama has none of it.

I still lol at that one. :P
Tyral the Kithless 2/28/07 wrote:
I'd like to see Obama win, personally.

bearne 2/28/07 wrote:
I hope Obama does well, and on some levels I really support his candidacy. However, I think he'd get eaten alive by the messes he's going to inherit.

We're really going to need a president / presidential staff who are able to operate in crisis mode from Day 1. Someone with a lot of experience running an executive branch or business.

Xkhanx 3/26/07 wrote:
Obama and Hillary don't have a chance. I've said it here before and I'll say it again. If it comes down to either one of them or (one could only hope) both of them on the ticket as Pres/VP, every Republican and every old man and woman who hasn't voted in years will turn out to vote just so the woman or black man doesn't get elected.

The republican could put just about anyone up and they would be guaranteed a win if those two are on the ticket.

What happened to McCain?
joxur 3/19/07 wrote:
McCain has 0 chance to win the primary.

joxur 3/19/07 wrote:
Yeah, Jateki. I'd have voted for old McCain during the 2000 elections. I'm not THAT anti-republican.

This time? Not so much.

McCain: Waffler, no spine, caved to Pres Bush at all the wrong times but no more so than on the anti-Torture policy that McCain just bent over on.

GOP Debate
krby71 5/3/07 wrote:
McCain is an idiot.

Democrats in N.H. debate - Anyone watch this?
krby71 9/27/07 wrote:
Obama sealed his fate with his misguided international affairs comments.

Frogggystyle 9/29/07 wrote:
Hillary will win the nomination; I have no doubt about that.

Frogggystyle 9/29/07 wrote:
As much as I hate to say it...and as much as you all are going to disagree with me...Hillary will be the next President of the United States. Nobody running against her (Democrat or Republican) has her political clout, can conjure as much as she can in political donations, or has a spouse who commands so much attention and respect across the globe. Refute my point of view all you want...but when it is all said and done, I'll be right and she will be the new leader of the free world.

Scary.

Great News, Edwards Drops out
randy 1/30/08 wrote:
obama/edwards would be a hell of a ticket... i'd still like to see obama/biden though

Iowa Caucus’ Predictions
xskycrasherx 1/3/08 wrote:
Obama will win the presidency in 08. =)

randy 1/7/08 wrote:
Obama/Biden but Edwards is a more likely VP if he'll accept it

McCain vs... ?
joxur 1/29/08 wrote:
So, in an election, who does better against McCain? As much as I wonder about Obama, I've gotta think that Obama does better against McCain. With McCain's strength amongst independents, I think he could not only get the conservatives to vote for him in droves to stop Hillary, I think he can also be very strong with independents. Obama, on the other hand, would not only do better with independents, but I think on policy issues, he's a lot more palatable to moderate Republicans.

Having said that, I don't know if Obama can beat Clinton. We'll see. I like McCain.. I'm not sure who I would vote for if it came to McCain vs Obama. I'm a bit spooked about McCains age, to be honest.

Jateki 1/29/08 wrote:
This is a win for me. Out of all the GOP candidates, I like McCain the most. But I don't think he can win against Clinton or Obama straight up and I'm still hoping for either a Clinton/Obama ticket or vice versa. This is the Democrats election to lose and even I don’t think they can screw up this free lunch.

Frogggystyle 1/30/08 wrote:
I think Obama will get the democratic nomination...and he'll beat McCain if he gets it. If Clinton were to win the democratic nomination...I dunno...I just don't see America willing to embrace her. I think McCain would be the lesser of two evils in that battle and he'd come out on top. pretty much every "important" celebrity/entertainer/politician (sans Bill Clinton) has given their nod to Obama. It's amazing how much weight people like Oprah and the Kennedys have on people's opinion.

I'm pulling for Obama. I think he has the most to offer America out of those who are still players in this. It's time to make the White House the Black House!

I had to go there. :p

DraagunSoulstealer 1/30/08 wrote:
I will not vote for Clinton. I will vote for Obama. If he is not an option, I dunno what I will do.

What exactly does Sen. Obama stand for?
joxur 2/12/08 wrote:
I'm definitely an Obama fan

:D
Win My Vote
joxur 2/18/08 wrote:
The things that McCain has done in the past week, from his reversal on Waterboarding to his reversal on tax cuts, have pretty much ruled him out for me completely. He'll say whatever he needs to say to get elected. I already felt that way about him, but recent news has really solidified my opposition. Second, I'd like to say that if Obama is the delegate, I'd accept him as president happily.

randy 2/23/08 wrote:
it should be biden, but it may be edwards (even though he's said he's not interested)

Randy consistently right on the VP pick.
Election Predictions
Tarot 3/7/08 wrote:
The democrats fuck up a 'no lose' situation once again, and we have 4 more years of GOP asshattery in the White House.

Diversity and the Election
joxur 5/23/08 wrote:
Candidate of Choice: Clinton, then Obama

Tuesday, June 3rd

krby71 6/3/08 wrote:
The Clinton's are not happy unless they win. If she doesn't win the nom then you can bet she will not do anything to help Obama win the general so she can run against McCain in 2012 and use the "See, I told you so" campaign.

Would you call this a correct prediction krby?
Kulamiena 6/4/08 wrote:
This race will be close. McCain is not Bush and running as the 'anti-Bush' will not work. I hope the Obama campaign is not thinking as you are.

Chey 6/4/08 wrote:
Prediction: Claire McCaskill as running mate, Obama loses the general 47%-52%.

Fribur 6/4/08 wrote:
However, I think you guys overestimate the prevalence of racism that is strong enough to drive people to the polls to vote against a black man. Will some do so? Sure. Will millions do so, enough to change the course of the election? I doubt it.

And the VP is…
Chey 8/25/08 wrote:
I still think the Democratic party and the American public have failed terribly in not putting a white man with a suit up as our presidential nominee, considering the way the country is leaning right now (Away from the Republicans, towards the Dems), if we had put a non-revolutionary normal candidate out there, we would have won the election, no contest.

But alas, this had to be the year of the minority. -_-

lol!
The beginning of the end for Biden?
krby71 9/23/08 wrote:
I brought up a rumor I had heard in another thread (HERE) about Obama dumping Biden from the ticket in October.

Do we need to start an over/under as to when Biden is off the ticket?

Why Obama Lost
BobolinkWareagle 9/14/08 wrote:
It is clear to me that Obama has lost this election already. The difference between this election and the Kerry election was that the mistakes Kerry made weren't very obvious before the election was over.

Orme, a Singing Bard 9/15/08 wrote:
You want to know why I'm voting for McCain?

Because I earned my position in life, and do not want my taxes raised.
Because I believe the worse thing you can do for the middle and lower class is raise corporate taxes.
Because I believe poor people should be able to send their children to charter schools.
Because I believe McCain is more independent than Obama and has repeatedly shown the ability to compromise.
Because I would prefer have a Republican in the White House if we have a Democratic congress (part of the reason I voted for Kerry in 2004).
Because I understand that inflation today is the result of rising energy costs more than anything else the government is doing.

Are you smarter than me? Am I a fool who has been tricked by the campaign? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Continue with your smugness, it is why you lost in 2004 and it is why you might lose in 2008.

Why McCain lost the White House (again)
On McCain suspending campaign:
Leolan 9/24/08 wrote:
It's just a campaign tactic. Worst case, he lowers expectations for the debate. Best case, he appears to be putting American interests above his own political interest and gets Obama to look bad for pressing the issue (or for following McCain's lead).

Having McCain and Obama back in the Senate will accomplish very little. There's nothing they can't do remotely (other than vote, and that hasn't bothered McCain up until now; he hasn't voted since April).

The best thing either of them could do for the economy right now is run a vigorous campaign and debate the issues, and especially these issues. Draw clear lines between their policies and let the American people (and the world, really) understand where we're going.

Snarky00 9/24/08 wrote:
There is a good chance McCain just threw the election. Tomorrow morning he can either suspend his campaign essentially giving the battleground states to Obama or he can go back on his word and continue campaigning and show that he is following Obama's leadership.

I truly believe that it wasn’t the economic crisis, but rather McCain’s response to it that derailed his campaign.
joxur 9/24/08 wrote:
I will say that the cancel the debate thing is a pretty bad idea. If I were Obama I would do two things:

1) Offer to move the debate to DC, so that they can be in Washington to "troubleshoot" and simply drive over.
2) Offer to make the entire debate about the economic crisis and economic issues - a huge weakness for McCain.

Dumb move..

Orme, a Singing Bard 9/25/08 wrote:
Bottom line is that in my opinion, this move makes McCain seem like a desperate bitch - if I believe everything I heard.

Venen 9/26/08 wrote:
This is downright sad. McCain is wtfowning himself here. McCain suspends his campaign and he's practically speechless... and are we going to have to wait until the market collapses before McCain finally makes up his mind about the bailout?

I swear every time I see McCain in an interview or elsewhere talk about the economy he looks like a deer in the headlights.

Snarky00 9/26/08 wrote:
House and Senate: Hey are just about finished putting this plan together.
McCain: HEY GUYS IM GONNA COME HEPL YOU!1!
House and Senate: Where'd are plan go?
McCain: SAVED THE DAY AGAIN!1! OH HEY GUYS IM A POW LULZ SHOOP SHOOP SHOOP.

I lol’d 
xskycrasherx 9/26/08 wrote:
He suspended his campaign. (Lie) It continued in Washington.
He said he was staying in Washington. (Lie) He purported that they'd actually be working on a deal at 9PM on a Friday night... lol yeah right.
He conceded that Obama was right in that Americans need to hear from the next President. He's following Obama's leadership.

Seems to me he just made about every single wrong mistake that he could have these past few days.

krby71 10/1/08 wrote:
It is over. There is no way McCain wins now. Both candidates are horrible. If the Dems had any brains to nominate a real candidate this would have been over several months ago. If the Republicans would have run any sort of campaign against Obama they would have already locked this up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:56 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Great quotes. Mine are all-star level.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:18 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Joxur is a flip flopper.

And good thing we don't trust Neesha

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:34 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
I really enjoy when you do these Surcam. And I'm happy to be wrong on some of my quotes too! (Especially thinking the Dems would lose again at the beginning of the year). :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:35 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Great post man, thanks for putting it together. Gratz Obama and Democrats in general!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:53 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Good stuff! Glad I was wrong the first time around with Hillary getting the nomination. When I wrote that, I really thought the Clinton machine would be much more potent that it turned out to be. Between the two candidates that were left standing, I am glad Obama came out the victor. I can't even begin to express how much further down the shitter the country would have gone with another Republican in charge at this point in time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:54 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Yep

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
I knew Obama would be president one day (and said as much to Bearne back in 2004), I just didn't have enough faith in America to believe it would be today. Believe me, I have never been more happy to be wrong.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:03 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
and for the record, I did not vote for McCain for pres. I voted Libertarian.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:06 AM 
Selling FBR First Torch!
Selling FBR First Torch!

This post is full of awesome. Good work, Surcam.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:28 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Well don't I feel sheepish....

I still like Claire as a running mate though.

Voted Obama, and was emotionally stirred by his acceptance speech. As a first time voter in a presidential election, I do not understand how people can NOT be excited by democracy in action.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:11 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Caladaar
WoW: Dirka
Tarot wrote:
I really enjoy when you do these Surcam. And I'm happy to be wrong on some of my quotes too! (Especially thinking the Dems would lose again at the beginning of the year). :D

Same, the country going in the shitter was the turnaround point for the Dems.
If the market had held up to past the election, I think it would have gone the other way.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:44 AM 
I schooled the old school.

I guess I need to post more-- only one quote from me! :)

Anyway, great work Surcam. These are a LOT of fun to read, and I appreciate it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:53 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

I enjoyed reading that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:21 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Quote:
Great quotes. Mine are all-star level.

Yeah, I particularly liked this one, lol. :)

xskycrasherx 1/16/07 wrote:
He's not going to have a fucking shot. You've got to be kidding me. He'll be another spoiler just like Nader, Perot, and all those other fuckheads.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:38 AM 
What does this button do?
What does this button do?

Hilarity

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:51 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Fun times! Grats Obama supporters, I hope he lives up to your expectations.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:55 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Kulamiena wrote:
Fun times! Grats Obama supporters, I hope he lives up to your expectations.

Audacious!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:28 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
hey i won

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:17 AM 
I've pwned over 300 times!
I've pwned over 300 times!

Hey, I was wrong. It's easy to have a bad perspective from Alabama, look at our numbers in the presidential race.

Nice job Surcam, really nice thread.

I hope all goes well, and I wish the president-elect Godspeed. I believe he will inspire generations of minorities to believe in themselves like never before. I believe we will have a surge of minority-owned business starts, more minority homeowners and increased minority enrollment in higher education. All of those things are wonderful for everyone.

I also hope that people are realistic in their expectations.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:10 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

It has been over a day and rainbow colored unicorns have not shot from his ass!

I think it's time for impeachment.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:57 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

I think the clear winner of this post is joxur. :) Admit it joxur, you held your nose and voted for Obama didn't ya? :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:13 PM 

Heh.. you have no idea how close to the truth you are.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:35 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Why so coy?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:57 AM 

I think somewhere it was said (and I might have been one of the ones that said it) that you can't judge general election turnout by the primary turnout.

Voter Turnout Nearly the Same as 2004
Quote:
WASHINGTON (CNN) – A new report from American University’s Center for the Study of the American Electorate concludes that voter turnout in Tuesday’s election was the same in percentage terms as it was four years ago — or at most has risen by less than 1 percent.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:58 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Not doing another one because I don't follow things so much around here, but I did enjoy reading my past ones.

Shameless bump.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:38 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Biden/Biden 2016

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:41 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

I can't edit here but for realsies I want Biden/Warren 2016, hopefully Ol' Joe isn't Too Ol' by then. I mean, if the GOP can find the right from the extreme right, I could see voting for their candidate, but if they put Paul Ryan up there, they can fuck right off.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:51 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

I'm predicting:

Jindal/Rubio, GOP gotta get brown people in the party.

vs

H. Clinton/no idea, I'm not convinced she's not running, and I think it's hers to lose.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:04 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
I think Christie will figure into the Rep ticket somehow, perhaps VP candidate

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:40 PM 

SurcamStances wrote:
I'm predicting:

Jindal/Rubio, GOP gotta get brown people in the party.

vs

H. Clinton/no idea, I'm not convinced she's not running, and I think it's hers to lose.

I don't think it will be Hillary in 2016. Why? Well, she is 65 years old now. Yep, born in 1947. That would put her at 69 years old in 2016. She has aged a lot since 2008. That may help her with some voting blocks, but by the time she is running there will be a voting segment that was not out of diapers when she and Bill were in the residents at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:22 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Tranthas
WoW: Niali
Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton are my predictions for 2016. I think their VP choices will be determined in the next three years.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:18 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Hillary Clinton couldn't get elected on HDTV in 2008. There's no way she can do it 8 years later. That absolutely doesn't matter, but it's the truth.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:02 AM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
That was a fantastic catch up read, thank you for postin! :X

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:29 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Hillary was pushing a health plan that we actually enacted in Washington state in the 90's, and it wrecked the finances of thousands of small businesses before we pulled it back. I don't think I've ever voted for a presidential candidate because they're pretty, but I guess the 1996 election is kind of a blur.

There's no Obama to run against in the primary in 2016, though. Biden has been so low-impact as Vice President that I think that's actually his record-building strategy, and it didn't work for Dan Quayle.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:18 PM 

I think that the long list of gaffes that Biden has authored will keep him from being a candidate. He ran for the nomination twice before and was rejected. If he is the top of the ticket his plagiarism issues in the past will come back.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:11 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Yeah but he wasn't especially marketable until this year when he's adopted the straight-shootin' uncle persona that people actually like. In 04 and 08 he was just a cranky white dude in a field of cranky white dudes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:30 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Verbal gaffes are flashes in the journalistic pan, no one especially cares or remembers after about a month unless it was really egregious (see: rape myths). The plagiarism thing, though, that'll haunt you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:57 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Well sure, especially if that's the only substantive offense Fox has to make a talking point out of. Yeah, it's bad news, but I don't really see it as big of a deal as it would be made. Also it doesn't matter because it won't be Old Ass Biden, as much as I want it to be. Elizabeth Warren would be the brave (and correct) choice.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:15 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

I miss you guys!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:17 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Quote:
Arkayn420 1/13/06 wrote:
Hillary really doesn't have a chance in hell. I would be VERY surprised if she even made it through the primaries as the nomination, let alone getting to the big dance.

Quote:
SurcamStances 1/13/06 wrote:
I'll be keeping this quote to pull back out in 2008. It's just idiotic to say she doesn't have a chance in hell. Feasible to say she won't win, silly to say she doesn't have a chance.

Quote:
Arkayn420 1/13/06 wrote:
And it's a safe bet that once 2008 rolls around you won't be busting out with it again. Keep it though.

Quote:
A rare win for Arkayn 

Arkayn was more right then we even thought back then. Damn y'all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:30 PM 

I can't give him that much... Hillary DID make it to the "big dance," and nearly won. This was not his prediction :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:10 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Tyral
He was right, though: she didn't get the nomination in 2008. And she lost in 2016 despite having a ton of momentum and the implicit backing of the DNC. Frankly, I think she was the only major Democratic candidate that *could* have lost to Trump.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:34 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Look, I'm the absolute last person that wants to say this, but Arkayn was absolutely, completely right. And we know this because, as Tyral said, she lost to fucking Trump...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:34 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I'm on board with that, except for the description of the DNC's backing of Clinton as "implicit." Wasserman-Schultz was caught red-handed rigging the Democratic Caucus for Clinton, and as soon as she was thrown out of her seat heading the party, she walked onto a cushy job as Clinton's campaign manager. They didn't even care that we all knew what this meant.

Now Clinton is essentially gone except for some extremely biting political commentary in book form that almost no one believed, and Bernie Sanders still has the highest approval rating of any member of Congress. 2020 should be a fantastic election to watch, if we live that long.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:01 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Good times.

Offline Profile