It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:09 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:04 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
http://warhammervault.ign.com/fullstory.php?id=45170
Quote:
Collector's Edition pre-order customers will be granted Head Start access on September 14th at 7am EDT. Characters created in the Head Start program will carry over when the servers officially go live on the Day of Reckoning - September 18th.

Pre-order customers will be able to log into the game starting September 16th at 7am EDT. Characters created in the Head Start program will carry over when the servers officially go live on the Day of Reckoning - September 18th.

That kind of sucks that regular edition pre-orders don't get to play on the 15th. :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:10 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

i pre-ordered at amazon on 8/10 and it was scheduled arrive on november 9th. i will enjoy my new gaming keyboard tremendously

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:11 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

ok?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:12 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

(i cancelled and re-used giftcard)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:45 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Just say to yourself the CE folks spent $100, and you spent $50.
They can stick that plastic figurine up their ass and do a happy dance for 2 days ahead of you.

60,000 less people speaking WAARGH in the newbie zones.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:09 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Nobody talks at all on the server I'm on. This is the best mmorpg experience I have ever had.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:20 AM 
I schooled the old school.

Why play MMOs if you don't want to socialize? Go play Oblivion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:35 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

lol

Actually I think at least part of the reason people don't talk much is because the chat system is a little buggy/weird right now. There's only a broadcast /1 for very specific areas, I don't quite get it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:42 AM 

Yeah, I noticed very little conversation on my server. Every now and again you'll hear a newbie question come across. I ran into Darkhand last night. They were the superior PvP guild in EQ2. Too bad they were on my side or I would have messed them up.

I'm starting to pull away from the areas people are really testing and beside the fact people are rerolling to try alternate classes. Found some pretty hefty PQ's out in Charce. I left Blighted yesterday. First PQ that time expired since there was only 5 of us doing it.

Muli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:57 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Fribur wrote:
Why play MMOs if you don't want to socialize? Go play Oblivion.

Why should I if I don't want to?

Why interact with people outside of my own circle if I do not have to? I'm not interested in making intraweb friends, you should know this by now. I play for the team. If I have to interact outside of that, so be it, but I'm not going out of my way to know people or be a part of some imaginary community that people think still rule over all in mmo gaming. I don't want to be known by people over the internet. I just don't care. I want to log in, kill people of the opposing faction with people I already know, and log off content that I spent a few hours being entertained by a hobby. That is as deep as it goes for me.

Don't even bother trying to argue against it, because I am not interested at all, and will not change my opinion on it. If I want socialization, I'll fire up vent, or head over to the tech department here at school. Or go to a ball game. Or the store. Or a movie. Or a LAN party.

To me, MMOs are nothing more than a pay to play game that just so happen to be able to support more than one player. You don't have to agree with that. Doesn't bother me if you do or do not because I'm doing my own thing either way.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:04 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Givin's the cool kid that goes to the school dances but purposefully just sits alone in the corner with his sunglasses on. He doesn't need those damn people or their damn social crap. But he still goes, to show them how much he doesn't need them.

So put that in your damn MMO pipe and smoke it, Fribur. Stupid social person.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:14 AM 

Actually, I don't think I'll ever play MMOs again at this point :p. I just thought his comment was kinda funny. I still do!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:24 AM 
What? Another Expansion?!
What? Another Expansion?!

I'm most surprised by the fact that (officially) the EU SE people get in a day before the NA SE people. First time I can think of that that's ever happened.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:55 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I'm actually the same way as Givin, except without a Team Bro. I want to log in, kill stuff with people similarly minded, do stuff with those same people if it's PVP, PVE whatever, I just don't care to have to weed through the dregs to do that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:58 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I just want eBlowjobs

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:59 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Instead of surrounding myself with people who are successful in games, I choose to surround myself with people who are successful IRL. Video gaming is very low on my list of priorities but it is a fun hobby I like to pursue. I'm not really beholden to anyone in game though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:03 PM 
Selling FBR First Torch!
Selling FBR First Torch!

Thanks for sharing Sky!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:18 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

xskycrasherx wrote:
Instead of surrounding myself with people who are successful in games, I choose to surround myself with people who are successful IRL. Video gaming is very low on my list of priorities but it is a fun hobby I like to pursue. I'm not really beholden to anyone in game though.

You are a piece of work, seriously.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:27 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

All those "successful IRL" people are called "students," Skycrasher. Let's not make it out to be THAT awesome.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:35 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Yes because the only people I know and associates with are students. :rolleyes:

Granted, your average graduate school student is probably a lot more successful IRL than undergrad / video game players in general.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:04 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

As if you're not a video game player all of a sudden. :skewl:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:20 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

To point out the obvious, more often than not, graduate students are graduate students because they either can't get real jobs or have no motivation to get a real job and/or void of any direction in their life. Epitome of success for sure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:41 PM 
Bridge Dweller

That's not what I've come across, especially in law school and medical school. Your mileage may very. What graduate school did you go to and what program did you enroll in that you experienced that? I never said it was the epitome of success, but usually people in these programs have higher ambitions than killing content in MMOs with a small group of friends.

I didn't mean to imply that Neesha, I am very much a video gamer. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:54 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

That certainly isn't true in business school!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:55 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Quote:
but usually people in these programs have higher ambitions than killing content in MMOs with a small group of friends.

I am going to bet you that there are plenty of Graduate students who play video games and MMORPGs. You're fooling yourself (or trying to sound superior for some dumb reason) if you think the 10 million+ people in the world who play online video games are all just "less ambitious" people.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:57 PM 

And that 10 million is *just* WoW.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:06 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Another 10 for live subscriptions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:08 PM 
Bridge Dweller

This really all boils down to the quality of people who play MMOs. Generally speaking, and especially by and large in WoW, players are fucking idiots, rude, and cocksuckers. I just think it'd be more likely to find people I like IRL rather than in MMOs. I don't really care who I play with in MMOs, but I care who I surround myself with IRL.

I'm not better than anyone. I'm not an elitist. I know who I am and my place in this world.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:19 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Wait until you leave school and go to work for a company and the average IQ plummets. I miss school if for no other reason than spending 40 hrs a week with folks who were intelligent, ambitious.

In school you worked hard, and played hard. Your efforts directly related to your rewards. In the workforce, it's completely not true, or the ratio of effort to reward changes to 10:1. If you work harder than the next guy, you get more work, and the same pay.

Although I don't miss homework and all night lab reports. Also not being broke has it's perks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:22 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

What quality of people? Actors? Sports Stars? Doctors? Lawyers? Students? Teachers? Single Parents? Grandparents? Nerds? Geeks? Average Joes wanting cheap entertainment? You say "by and large in WoW, players are fucking idiots, rude, and cocksuckers" but what percentage of the 10 million people who play really fit into this category? You allegedly went to medical school and law school but you never learned simple math? Do you honestly think that 6 million of the people who play WoW are assholes? Or is it just that the few assholes stand out more than the regular people who play the game? Do these boards consist of mostly assholes just because you and I tend to be the more frequent posters? Or are most of the people on these boards actually cool people who get drowned out by the BS the Neeshas, Skycrashers, and the like like to post? Reality check time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:25 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Yes, I do. I'd say at least 50% of the people I meet in game are the typical fucking dumb battle.net kiddies and selfish players.

That's partly why I dislike WoW, because the players just fucking blow. There's a reason PUGs are notorious for being shitty in such an easy game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:28 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

When you do AV, how many people out of the 40 in your AV are screaming in chat telling people what to do? 3? 4? 5 tops? Out of 40. Math.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:38 PM 
Bridge Dweller

I have only PVPd once in my entire time playing WoW since launch, and it wasn't AV.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:15 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

xskycrasherx wrote:
I never said it was the epitome of success, but usually people in these programs have higher ambitions than killing content in MMOs with a small group of friends.

So which are we talking about, success or ambition?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:18 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
Graduate school is for those who have decided they would rather not be managers and would like to earn twice their manager's salary.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:49 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Not that im trying to agree with Xsky (because he is a fucking moron as shown above) the one thing I would defend is the masters comments made above.

Most master students at least in the fields I have dealt with both at school and the professional world are received/received them because they realize the value a masters adds in the real world both finicially and the type of job it can open the door for. (note just because you get your masters doesn't mean your smarter/better then anyone else, its just one more notch in your belt in most cases).

And as pointed above....while WOW might tend to cater towards abit more of the "kiddie" or "douche" bag crowd, with such a huge player base its a wee bit hard to make a claim that millions all fit into one of a handful of categories. But as with most things the "negative' always sticks out a hell of alot more then the good people.

I look at the last 3-4 years of MMO playing and I actually would say about 75% of the player base I actually interacted with at any level more then a pug ended up being military personal, or between 23-35 normal professionals. Most the guilds/groupies I have been around as of late don't even seem to fall into the traditional undergrad or living with mommy no job loser personalitys that have been stero-typed as the only people playing MMO's. There is plenty out there but if you think of the simple math that back 10 years ago with EQ where MMO's where actually typically played only by the sterotypical gamer there was probably what....10% of what the current MMO population is? (random guess but it relatively small). There has been alot of growth in the genre and every day is becoming more and more common place. Last week I caught the computer screen of a VP of a billion dollar a year company with a FFIX webpage up when I was visiting with him, I wanted to fucking call him out so bad on it....."dude black mages pwn your noob ass red mage!!" (prior to this I wouldn't have guessed this guy even knew what a video game was) Times a changing....

Lastly, personally I feel sorry for you X if you are choosing to surround yourself with people based off how successful they are. Thats about bad as being shallow and surrouding yourself with only good looking people. A successful person can be just as big as piece of shit as any one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:36 PM 

Quote:
Wait until you leave school and go to work for a company and the average IQ plummets. I miss school if for no other reason than spending 40 hrs a week with folks who were intelligent, ambitious.

I feel the same way in the music world. The thing I miss most about college is that for several years, everyone around me was well versed in music theory, music history, and music performance. You could talk about, think about, and especially perform things that I just no longer get to do as a high school band director. I feel rather alone now in terms of musical interest, compared to then.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:38 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

There will always be band camp ;)

My kid is going to college if for no other reason than to surround themselves in an academic environment.

Offline Profile