It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:38 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:41 PM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

We are getting ready to roll out Sharepoint and I need some help on how to get the portal available to our offiste users.

Our website is currently hosted offsite but I would like to use a subdomain (sp.thegenevafoundation.org) to access Sharepoint. I have www.thegenevafoundation.org pointing to the IP address of our hosting company. There is a current entry called grant.thegenevafoundation.org which allows users to access Remote Web Workplace (grant.thegenevafoundation.org/remote). This entry points to our IP address. I'm created another DNS entry for sp.thegenevafoundation.org pointing to our IP but I'm not sure what to do after this. Basically, what I would like to do is:

grant.thegenevafoundation.org/remote > our IP > server1 for RWW
sp.thegeneavafoundation.org > our IP > server2 for Sharepoint

Going to sp.thegenevafoundation.org/remote will also take me to the RWW login page.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:08 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Heh, seeing as how I'll be a SharePoint MVP again this year, and this is a dead board, you got lucky ;)

That said, research IIS bindings AND Alternate Access Mappings. These are the primary methods for managing domains (and subdomains) for sites. So, if you build a web app, you can use the servername and a random port (I'd recommend just building it on port 80 and with the FQDN right off the bat if you haven't already built it) and create an alternate access mapping in the required zone (which seems likely to be "Internet" here) using the subdomain.

SharePoint is a pain in the ass, but quite robust once you understand its quirks. Just be aware, it's a MASSIVE pain in the ass to maintain and keep patched, especially for externally facing sites. I'd highly recommend you put this being a firewall/reverse proxy and keep the SQL Server (Do NOT use the MSDE at all, ever) at a layer below your DMZ.

With regards to the redirect, you can create a redirect page within Sharepoint at the site collection level, so just do that with the /remote path. Easy as pie.

Offline Profile