It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:29 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SQL Backup
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:22 AM 

A couple of years ago, I went through some SQL training for my previous job but when project came to my desk we have SQL 2008 so back ups were very simple. I created a task for the back up and then wrote a script to move it around our backup servers for our Disaster Recovery compliance.

In my new job they bought into a couple of projects using SQL and I said this would be no problem. When the servers arrived, they had SQL Express and all the software was implemented with everything fully setup. I've tried myself, i've tried my books, expertsexchange, etc. and no one seems to be able to create a SQL script that can be ran via a Scheduled Task that will allow me to create SQL backups.

SQL Express does not have automated backup and it's frustrating and I thought I would be getting the latest SQL. Can anyone help me get a script and assist in creating the task to run every night. I'm just frustrated and need some assistance due to other overwhelming projects.

Thanks in advance,

Muli

Post subject: Re: SQL Backup
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:19 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

What server OS?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:42 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
Our office uses Backup Exec for the SQL server.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:02 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Yeah Muli, SQL-X doesn't allow for that which really sucks because you really want the hourly transaction logs backed up.

I would suggest what Leo said, find a 3rd party backup package that will allow you to back the .db up.

Or try an upgrade to full SQL 2008. I had to do that on one of our SQL machines and it went pretty painlessly. But make sure you have a good backup first!

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 PM 

We are looking into 3rd party backups. We used Backup Exec and Veritas in my previous job. That will be some time away though...

I have thought about doing the upgrade but i'm a little uneasy about doing so. I have SQL 2008 on my desk but I would have to get my CIO's permission on that due to this impacting student account information on each server.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:43 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I can get you a special on SQL-Backtrack. I know a guy who knows a guy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:03 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
Muli, a suggestion...

If you're going to do an upgrade from Express to 2008, do it in a test environment first. I use VMware Converter whenever I need to play around with a production machine. Just turn it into a VM and connect it to a different network, then have at it. All with the safety of knowing you can't cause any serious damage. Plus, all the VM software you need is free.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:20 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

I've got something in powershell that can do this, thus why I asked about the OS ;) Let me see what I can do for ya.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:59 PM 
I've pwned over 300 times!
I've pwned over 300 times!

MuliganVanJurai wrote:
A couple of years ago, I went through some SQL training for my previous job but when project came to my desk we have SQL 2008 so back ups were very simple. I created a task for the back up and then wrote a script to move it around our backup servers for our Disaster Recovery compliance.

In my new job they bought into a couple of projects using SQL and I said this would be no problem. When the servers arrived, they had SQL Express and all the software was implemented with everything fully setup. I've tried myself, i've tried my books, expertsexchange, etc. and no one seems to be able to create a SQL script that can be ran via a Scheduled Task that will allow me to create SQL backups.

SQL Express does not have automated backup and it's frustrating and I thought I would be getting the latest SQL. Can anyone help me get a script and assist in creating the task to run every night. I'm just frustrated and need some assistance due to other overwhelming projects.

Thanks in advance,

Muli

I have used this before, the biggest thing is making sure you have enough space on the drive your backing up to.

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1486

Build a man a fire, and he's warm for the night.
Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Profile