All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Computer Opinions
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:42 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
So, I'm working on upgrading my Pentium 4 2.4ghz computer with something that can handle the games I'm currently playing at full resolution and medium to high graphics (Fallout3, L4D, and whatever is on the horizon) while keeping the budget at around 600-700 bucks (aiming at lower if possible), and wanted to hear your guys opinions on what I have so far. Nothing is set in stone outside of the CPU, and the whole thing was mostly done to get an idea on how much everything would cost.

This is what I have so far:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115037
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128359
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827118030
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820104098
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814102810

I think I will re-use my current case, as well as my power supply (500w, think it should be fine), and depending on the over all cost I may consider getting a 1TB HDD, but we'll see. Otherwise I'll be using my current drives.

So, yeah, I welcome any suggestions, and guidance because I'm really not good at figuring this shit out! And remember I'm on a budget. =)

Edit: Probably the part I'm more lost about is the Video Card, I really don't know what to go with.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:03 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
If you are interested in a Radeon card, this is the video card I got back in Feb or whenever it was:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 2b%20Turbo

It was $279 when I got it and is already $100 cheaper. You may want to consider it. One thing, though, is that it is pretty huge. If your case is compact, it probably won't fit. The card is pretty awesome, though.

Edit: Here's a review of the card: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphi ... q4-turbo/1

Edit #2: If you prefer Geforce, which many people do, get a GeForce GTX 260-216.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:53 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

That CPU is WAY overpriced. Find a low-end Core i7 + decent X58 chipset + 6GB DDR3 kit and you'll came away MUCH happier. Even if you choose to go the Core2 route, find a Q6600 or Q9550. Much better price/performance ratio while maintaining the 775 chipset and no need for a DDR3 tri-kit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:04 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Yea, but if his budget is $600-$700, I doubt he wants to spend $500 on just the Processor/Motherboard combo.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:19 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Yeah, I'd get an i7 considering the prices on the processors alone. But, the price I'd pay for the motherboard pushes my budget out of reach. I'll look into the Q6600 and Q9550s though.

Also, I like the ATI card you linked Neesha. I may end up getting that one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:20 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
I'm in Gost's shoes lol....except that mine is 3.6 years old now and can barely run Ulduar without horrid video lag. I kept dying to the stupid lazer beams because I'd see them after the game apparently decided they were hitting me.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:32 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Prior to my recent upgrade, the Q9550 was my proc of choice. It also overclocks VERY VERY well depending on the stepping.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:26 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
I'm in Gost's shoes lol....except that mine is 3.6 years old now and can barely run Ulduar without horrid video lag. I kept dying to the stupid lazer beams because I'd see them after the game apparently decided they were hitting me.

Something needs fixing then! WoW isn't very demanding at all. =(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:33 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Bovinity Divinity wrote:
Quote:

*shrug* Dalaran's astounding lag and the lag I experienced in Ulduar are annoying enough but my zoning load times have gone way up. My 2gigs of ram is showing near 90% usage.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:50 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Bovinity Divinity wrote:
Quote:

I don't play any more, but, my current computer can't really handle WoW on high settings. That's how old and weak my computer is, lol. I can't wait for building a new one. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:14 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
*shrug* Dalaran's astounding lag and the lag I experienced in Ulduar are annoying enough but my zoning load times have gone way up. My 2gigs of ram is showing near 90% usage.

See, something's not right there. I have 2GB ram and am running at high settings on 1680x1050 and I never have come anywhere near 90%. =(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:58 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

For your price range, if you custom build you can probably get into a 9000 series Intel, but I personally feel the 8000 series is the price point you're looking for - namely the Q8200. You get the 1333 bus. Going up to the 9000 series adds $100 or more for what I felt was marginal benefit.

Sorry, I'm a Dell junkie. I recently bought the following from Dell:
Inspiron 530
Q8200, Quad Core 2.33
3 GB RAM
Onboard Video
500 GB Hard Drive
20" Monitor
Vista 64
Price $620 after taxes and 7% employer discount (which you can find online with a little effort).
It only has a 350 Watt power supply, so you can't get too cute on video card upgrades. I put in an ATI Radeon 4600 for $70.
Runs WOW like a champ, cost less than $700.
I did a lot of digging and felt this was the "sweet spot" for pricing. To take the next step up, I was looking at tacking on $400 or more for what I would consider negligible gains.

If you don't need a monitor, reuse the 500W case, and can pirate your OS, you could maybe swing an i7 system for $800 if you skimp on video/RAM. But for me, why bother? IMO you're better off getting a solid middle of the road system.

If you don't need a monitor, Dell offers an 8200 with 2 GB RAM, onboard video, no monitor. Again, you drop a $70 ATI Radeon 4600 in there, and it is going to run WOW like a champ, and you're under $500. It only comes with a 320GB hard drive and Dell rapes you on upgrades (they want $150 to go to a 700GB). So, stick with the 320GB and drop in a 1TB from NewEgg - cost you $80 or less.

I know there are Dell haters here, but if you're buying your OS, don't buy their warranty, and don't buy their upgrades - you can't beat their price.

Offline Profile