It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:37 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:26 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
I have a logitech USB headset (the one with the big mute button and volume controls on either side of it on the cord) that I've been using for vent and skype. When playing games, I like the game sound to stay on my system speakers and vent to be in the headset.

Previous to my move, everything was working flawlessly.

Since the move, I noticed that someone was coming through REALLY loud on vent, so went to turn them down. No dice. The volume controls seemed to be no longer working. Except then I noticed that I could no longer hear the game. In short, the volume control button on the headset now seems to control the system volume.

1) my sound card is set as the default "sound playback" device.
2) The usb headset is set for sound recording.
3) windows is set to use only default devices in the panel.

and then from there, I just configure skype and vent to use the headset for their speakers.

I found this:
http://forum.skype.com/lofiversion/inde ... 59201.html

when googling around, and it is pretty much exactly what I am experiencing. But I *know* the volume control on the headset worked *on* the headset (rather than the speakers) before I packed up and moved, so I have a hard time believing this is a driver issue.

Anyone got any ideas? :p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:18 PM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

EQ1: Qindyin
WoW: Tgurok
my logitech usb headset never worked right either.. I ended up replacing it with a Rocketfish USB headset.... wasn't just worth the headache.

The logitech had better sound, but the new one is more comfy and not problematic at all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:53 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Caladaar
WoW: Dirka
USB headsets are tricky beasts - to the OS they are basically their own soundcards.
This can cause all sorts of issues with audio sources and volume control.

I prefer the old school RF audio cables for this reason.

I haven't messed around with it in Vista much, but hopefully their entirely new audio pipeline fixed this issue.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:42 PM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

EQ1: Qindyin
WoW: Tgurok
it's not as sooper as I'd like.. for instance I'd love to set the preference for which output per program..

and basically they are on their own soundcard before I had USb with my old case.. something wasn't right and if I used the headphone/mic ports on the front of the case to plugin a headset.. no matter what the audio output fed through into the mic input.. which would piss many oryx off ~

So I went USB.. and I do like having music go to the regular speakers, and the gamechat going to my headset....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:50 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

When buying a USB headset, always get one with an in-line attenuator.. (little volume dial on the cord)

Sounds like a Vent issue... everything was dandy for me until the Vent upgrade and I played around with the vent mixer. It some how screwed up a bunch of windows audio settings and I had to dig around before I found something that worked.

Offline Profile