It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 9:18 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cleaning lcd monitor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:15 PM 
Bridge Dweller

i bought a new 22" monitor and i am going to clean the screen because it got a big smudge on it. what should i use? i know that windex and stuff is bad... right?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: cleaning lcd monitor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:06 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
deionized water is what most people recommend.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:20 PM 
Do you smell that?

As long as you don't use ammonia and you don't spray anything directly on the screen, you're good.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:20 PM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Plain old short-nap microfiber cloth. $3 lasts years.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:12 PM 
Everquest Rocks!
Everquest Rocks!

9.99 Monitor Wipes @ Best Buy, looks like a tissue dispenser, dispenses moist LCD wipes.

Or, even better, $19.99 Monster Screen Cleaner, comes with cloth and spray solution, and doubles for your big screen LCD TV.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:56 PM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

EQ1: Qindyin
WoW: Tgurok
20 dollars?
l0l0l0lz
did you buy the 100$ hdmi cable too?

use distilled water / some cases isopropyl alcohol diluted with said water if needed google it for exact formula.

Good microfiber/lint free cloth.

Spray onto the cloth and not the screen as mentioned before.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:51 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

People who buy: Monster "Insert product name here" are fucking morons.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:24 PM 
Everquest Rocks!
Everquest Rocks!

Maybe I work for Best Buy, and get it for like 70% off. Shrug, it's a good product, but hey, it only costs me like 5 bucks.

Thanks for insinuating that I'm a fucking moron though. Maybe I shouldn't have re-registered for these boards after all. Friendly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:51 PM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

woot... touchy! You aren't going to last long here, sir.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:00 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
We have a lot of angry under sexxed nerds here they get touchy a lot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:33 PM 
Everquest Rocks!
Everquest Rocks!

Shrug, been here for years, I've seen the best and worst of it. But damn, getting jumped because I tried to help in a "how do I clean my LCD monitor" thread is kind of ridiculous, lol.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:46 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
More along the lines of because you told someone to pay $20 for cleaning supplies.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:48 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

I wasn't targeting you in particular, just everyone who buy those. Oh and BestBuy suck btw you should be ashamed to work there, don't advertize it...

Hmmmm should I buy an 199$ 8 foot HDMI cable at Best Buy - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8103757481
or
a 199$ 50 foot HDMI cable on Tigerdirect - http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... CatId=1638

I don't care if you get the Monster Cable at 70% rebate. You still end up paying more then another brand at the regular price elsewhere so the point is moot.

219.99$ - 70% = 66$ for 8 foot for the monster cable after your so called rebate.
or
32.99$ for 10 foot - http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... CatId=1638

And I didn't even search for a better price i just opened TigerDirect because I know they have a large selection of cable. Yes I understand that I would pay for shipping but even with shipping it's cheaper...

So yes my statement still stand. Anyone who buy Monster shit is a moron.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:44 AM 
Everquest Rocks!
Everquest Rocks!

Shrug, I run three departments, and I help customers on a daily basis with their genuine best interests in mind. I don't make commission, and I'm actually far from ashamed to work there. I like helping people in general, always have.

People come in and request me all the time, because they have had good experiences. And maybe some people don't want to pore over the internet and mix their own cleaning solutions to avoid spending $9.99 on a box of like 200 monitor wipes. It's called convenience. I personally bought the monitor wipes, not the monster cleaner, which was just an alternative I offered up.

And we use the monster cloth and spray (which are the "moronic" $20.00 option) daily in my departments to clean the camcorder screens, tv's, cell phones, and car stereos, and I personally think it's great. I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives out there, as other people have listed above, which is fine, but not every option is right for every person. Personally, I would pay 10 bucks to buy wipes so I don't have to waste my time in front of a computer researching the proper mix of liquids, mix it myself, and get my own non-abrasive cloth seperately.

Much like some people pay for lawn care rather than cut the grass themselves. Or go to a car wash to pay 10 bucks to get their car washed and vacuumed for them. That's called opportunity cost, and it's a fundamental business tenet, not "being a f-ing moron".

Anyways, different people place different value on their time and on the products that save them time.

This reminds me of the diamonds thread everyone got so up in arms about. I think diamonds are stupid, but hey, if someone else thinks they have value and is willing to pay for them, that doesn't make them stupid, it just means that they have a different value system. (feel free to insert your "I saw the movie 'Blood Diamond' and you are stupid" rant below -- on that note if your significant other wants a diamond, just nonchalantly take her to see that movie, especially if she's not into violent movies, she'll probably change her mind thanks to a Hollywood film, lol)

Anyways, feel free to save your 6 bucks and mix your own monitor solution. I just offered up a ten dollar solution to try and help. Sorry for being an idiot that doesn't hang out on "tiger direct" all day and had never even heard of the website.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:50 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I will agree that people who buy Monster products (cables in particular) are pretty uneducated, although I wouldn't necessarily call them fucking morons. And there are are far "worse" jobs out there than working for Best Buy. You enjoy it, that's the bottom line.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:49 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Finlainea wrote:
Oh and BestBuy suck btw you should be ashamed to work there, don't advertize it...

I will second that that was overly harsh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:49 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
wait, you get a 70% discount at bestbuy? Is that for full-time employees or everybody? Is it only on somethings? Is there some sort of limit on how much you can buy?

What stops the employees from buying a shit load of stuff for resale?

70% is a shitload of a discount

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:34 AM 

discounts at best buy for employees, last I checked, depended on what the retail markup of the item was.

they don't get 70% discounts storewide.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:37 PM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

5% over wholesale is what I believe it is.

I worked at Best Buy, loved it, got great experience and a massive stockpile of cables and accessories that have lasted me for 10+ years.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:41 PM 
Everquest Rocks!
Everquest Rocks!

Yep, the markup on cables and accessories is absolutely crazy, whereas there is no markup at all on stuff like laptops, consoles, and desktops.

Talking stuff like 24.99 optical cables for like $3, etc. (if the in-house brand).

I remember getting a 249.99 articulating wall mount for my LCD for like 90 bucks after tax.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:54 AM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

EQ1: Qindyin
WoW: Tgurok
Markup on wall mounts is insane, I recommend anyone looking for one to check out http://www.monoprice.com.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:52 PM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

Markup on "anything" that wouldn't be considered the main purchase is insane.

Aside from cheap cables, the service plans for employees are usually around $5-20 which tells you how much they make on those items. BB employees aren't commissioned and the only sales information that is really tracked and cared about is service plans and accessories.

There were many times that the sale price on the actual computer or TV itself was cheaper than what I could get as an employee, its a common practice to take a loss on CPU's and big ticket home theatre items and to make it up with accessories.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:30 PM 
Everquest Rocks!
Everquest Rocks!

you're correct on the computer markdowns, but the service plans aren't that cheap for us on big ticket items. We do get them discounted, but for example I bought a service plan on my new $400 pioneer bluetooth car stereo. It was 50 bucks, and after my discount it was about 40 bucks. (20% discount -- which is about what our discount on services, installs, etc runs). But hey, the radio is badass, and if the CD player lens gets out of alignment, I don't want to be left out to dry in 3-4 years.

Now the price of the service plan scales with the price of the product, so if a TV or something is sold at a discount, and say the original price of the service plan was like $130 on a $1000 TV, and we discount the TV down (either employee price or whatever) the price of the service plan can scale down as well. So say I got the TV for 700 bucks, the plan might drop to like 89.99 or something similar. It's surprising how much employees still pay, but I'd say at least 50-60% of the time at least the employees buy the plan, because it's great to get your TV fixed or replaced 3-4 years down the line if it fades or gets dead pixels, etc.

We get a TON of TV's back weekly, because the fail rate on the flat panels is far higher than it was on CRT TV's. People cash in those service plans constantly, and can you blame them? I've cashed in once already on a 32" Westinghouse and got a brand new TV because of two dead pixels. =p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:14 PM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Golliwog
WoW: Rileigh
I just take monitor wipes from work lol.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:13 AM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

EQ1: Daas
WoW: Vuloth
EQ2: Daas
Regardless of what or where you make a living, if you actually enjoy it, you win.

Nice to hear you're happy Twernt :)

Thankfully I have two teenage sons to mow the lawn and wash the cars, so I shelled out the $10 for a container of monitor wipes :p In the long run I'm thinking actual hired help would be cheaper though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:46 PM 
What? Another Expansion?!

HELLO T! hows it goin =D

Jaffirsin

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:01 AM 
Everquest Rocks!
Everquest Rocks!

Hey Jaff!

Not doing too bad man, closed on my first house yesterday! Small 3 bedroom 1 bath place, but it's in great shape so I'm pumped... It doesn't have internet till Saturday though. I don't know what I'll do -- I guess I'll like do some crazy shit like go to the gym or have a life. Or I could just play all those Xbox 360 games that I only touched like once (Assassin's Creed, anyone?)...

I just put in to get a promotion to be a store manager of this new Best Buy Mobile Store thing they're doing, or get on at South Walton Fire Department, whichever comes first (just finished fire and EMT school last year). I know they're oh so similar jobs... Been playing a little Tabula Rasa here and there, and WoW arenas like once a week.

How have you been, dude?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:44 PM 

Ive been alright. still playing EQ, which is passing the time. I work alot at a newspaper, so that sucks. GL on the FD stuff, i have a few friends who are FD EMT. Taun still plays, and we are in the same guild. My bro is still a dbag, and he doesnt play eq much anymore. You should try loggin in, i think u can get all the expansions now for like 20 bucks or something. The server merged too, forgot if u stopped playing before or after that. its fun, we do demi plane of blood, and anguish and random crap, (if that means anything hehehe).

:drinkers:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:23 AM 

Quote:
Markup on wall mounts is insane, I recommend anyone looking for one to check out http://www.monoprice.com.

Wow Lu, thanks for the link. I just spent $125 there and probably saved $250 over Frys prices.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:52 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
Ok, I think this might be putting a big bullseye on my forehead, but why are Monster Cables so bad? I got one for my Xbox, and it was $90 or something crazy for a cable, but I instantly experienced better graphics and sound.

Are you saying that the better results were just my imagination, or that there are equally effective upgrades that don't cost $90 ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:05 PM 

If you bought the "Monster Hi Def" cables for your xbox, you could have saved $70 and bought the regular stuff, there is no physical difference.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:31 PM 

Quote:
Ok, I think this might be putting a big bullseye on my forehead, but why are Monster Cables so bad? I got one for my Xbox, and it was $90 or something crazy for a cable, but I instantly experienced better graphics and sound.

The difference is because you went from 3 RCA composite to 5 line component, not the quality of the cable.

_____

Offline Profile