It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 2:11 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:15 PM 

Ok, so here's the deal. I have a Truemobile 2300 wireless router. I am going directly with the coax from the wall to the router. I have two PC's less than 20 feet away from the thing with "G" capable receivers. I am new to the whole wireless thing, so I ran some tests on DSLreports.com and came up with, at best, 900. Most are between 300-500 without fail. This is killing me. upload speed can be as high as 400, but as low as 125. I was running a non wireless netword previously and I was getting speeds of 4,000+ frequently.<
>
<
>
Somebody, for the love of god, tell me I set this up wrong and give me some pointers on how to get more speed out of this thing. I can't imagine that it's supposed to be this damn slow. I'm paying enough for my internet that I want to get at least 50% of the advertised speed out of it. lol<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:38 PM 

Performance varies from model to model, and from spot to spot. Is your router located near the TV or anything else that may cause interference? Have you moved the router to another room to check for dead zones? Do your neighbors have wireless as well? Does your router support protected mode (available on most pre-n/mimo)? Are you using WPA (and you should be)? If so, that uses a small amount of overhead. Have you updated your firmware recently?<
>
<
>
Answer the questions first. Then come back. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:06 PM 

Router is actually sitting on the TV (sadly, it's the only wall outlet for cable at this end of the place). I am running WAP. It's a straight shot from the router to the PC's, no walls etc in the way. Signal strength is excellent. One neighbor runs a wireless, I pick up his network, but haven't run into issues with it. <
>
<
>
I believe I have the latest firmware for it. I can't seem to locate any newer, at any rate. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:02 AM 

I'd recommend temporarily hooking up a CAT5 cable to your computer and router and basically going around the wireless portion. <
>
<
>
That way you can find out if it's the router itself or the wireless that's giving you issues.<
>
<
>
Also, you mention multiple PCs. You could try doing an FTP upload/download from one to the other and see what your rate is. That'll check the wireless portion.<
>
<
>
Also, anyone in your area have a 2.4 GHz phone? I had a Panasonic 2.4 GHz that would randomly channel hop onto the same channel as my wireless connection and dump the computers offline. Unfortunately 2.4 GHz is the same freq that wireless b and g use. Granted, there are different channels in the frequency, but most phones jump channels, sometimes getting on the same one your wireless is on. <
>
<
><
>
[Tynkur Toyz][66 Gnomish Arch Convoker][Email][Magelo]<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:02 AM 

Quote:Granted, there are different channels in the frequency, but most phones jump channels, sometimes getting on the same one your wireless is on.<
>
<
>
Happens more often than you'd think too. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:35 AM 

Quote:Are you using WPA (and you should be)?<
>
<
>
My stupid PSP doesn't support WPA, only WEP. ---------------------------------<
>
Burog Warrior of Oryx<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:25 PM 

The truemobile router is a dell one, ya ?<
>
<
>
Interference can be caused not only by phones, but microwaves too.<
>
<
>
Try it without encryption (temporarily), and see what you get. Firmware usually makes a large difference, ad i usually upgrade the firmware on wireless routers as soon as i take them out of the package (i setup about 6-8 wireless routers a week or so).<
>
<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:26 AM 

Are your aerials pointed directly upwards? <
>
<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:31 AM 

I do have the dell router, the problem is that I can't seem to locate any newer firmware. So, if you find some, by all means , feel free to share it with me. <
>
<
>
The aerials were pointed up, but the signal strength was weak, I found that if I pointed them toward the PC's, the signal strength increased a good chunk, so that's how it is set up. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:07 AM 

I have only set up about 6 or so of those dell routers, and ALL of them sucked as far as signal strength went.<
>
<
>
Probably doesnt help you much, but that was my experience.<
>
<
>
The best routers i had as far as signal strength, are the linksys ones, especially the WRT54G, if you use the third party firmware that lets you increase the signal strength.<
>
<
>
errr.. i think i am getting slightly off topic.<
>
<
>
back on topic...<
>
<
>
<
>
Is the DSL installation new for you, or is it just the wireless router?<
>
<
>
Not having filters on EVERY item that is plugged into a phone jack in your home will do EXACTLY what you are describing (ie cut your speed down drastically).<
>
<
>
Things that people normally forget to put a dsl filter on :<
>
<
>
Fax Machines<
>
Satellite dish receivers / Tivo receivers<
>
Phones in little used spare bedrooms<
>
<
>
If its plugged into a phone jack, it needs a filter, unless its your dsl modem.<
>
<
>
<i>Edited by: Llorian Lanys at: 6/27/05 9:09 am<
></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:20 PM 

It's a cable connection. =) <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:51 PM 

Ug.. i was thinking dsl because of dsl reports.... sorry about that. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:51 PM 

S'alright. I was litte curious about that, but hey, I figured I could have been a tad more specific. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:04 PM 

Ok, problem is completely resolved.<
>
<
>
As it turned out, the wifes PC had a nasty trojan that opened up a port. Her PC was downloading all sorts of shit non-stop and absolutely killing our overall connection speed. Once that was gone, I'm up to 4mbps, as it should be.<
>
<
>
It's always the painfully obvious things that you check last, isn't it? /sigh <i></i>