It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:35 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new comp
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:43 PM 

<
>
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego Integrated into Chip FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA4000BNBOX - Retail<
>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pr...6819103529 <
>
<
>
MSI NForce4<
>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pr...6813130491<
>
<
>
eVGA 256-P2-N376-AX Geforce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail<
>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pr...6814130215<
>
<
>
CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail<
>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pr...6820145450 x2 <
>
<
>
Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM<
>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pr...6822144160<
>
<
>
<
>
LITE-ON Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 4X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner - Retail<
>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pr...6827106966 <
>
<
>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pr...6811144018<
>
<
>
comments, anything i should change/add?<
>
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: new comp
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:43 AM 

You want a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 hard drive 300GB instead of a raptor.<
>
<
>
Read the review: techreport.com/reviews/20...dex.x?pg=1<
>
<
>
<
>
Frankly, for 2 drives with such similar performance and the same price i'd get the one with 4x more storage space. Back in action baby! EQ - Finlainea - Paladin - Stromm - Fallen LegacyRetired - EQ2 - Finlainea - Dirge - Najena <i>Edited by: Finlainea at: 6/28/05 4:47 am<
></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:42 AM 

What do you need the computer for? Gaming, dvd encoding, work, etc.<
>
<
>
Do you have any interest in overclocking? Can save you tons of money for a bit of work by running parts faster than intended. Safe if done properly, but not recommended if you don't like messing with BIOS for quite a few hours to get things working just right.<
>
<
>
What case and power supply do you have, or plan to order? Nforce4 motherboards can be quite picky about power supply quality. The right case can make or
eak a PC, too. Antec Sonata is a solid choice. ---------------------------------<
>
Burog Warrior of Oryx<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:36 AM 

I plan on using it for gaming/video editing. I plan to overclock a little but im no overclock buff. Just a few tweaks here and there. As far as case/PSU i thought the aspire case with 420w PS would work (bottom link) http://pub99.ezboard.com/bairsoftstop<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:49 AM 

The PSU is utter garbage. Everything else is okay. Prophion<
>
Dwarf Hunter of Kargath<
>
<Cult of the Moonkin><
>
300 Skill Dragonscale Leatherworker<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:24 AM 

When do you plan to buy it? The new AMD procs come out like next week and I would wait to see how that affects prices if you can. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:27 AM 

If you plan to overclock at all, get a Venice 3200+. Multiplier is 10, so you can run it up to 3 GHz with the right cooling if you get a lucky chip. Even with stock cooling people tend to get 2.3 GHz or more, putting it awfully close to the chip you linked, but 300 dollars cheaper.<
>
<
>
Regardless, you do need a better PSU. For the money you're spending I'd go with this case. It isn't as blingy as the one you linked, but it looks great in person, it's super quiet, and has a good PSU already.<
>
<
>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pr...6811129127 ---------------------------------<
>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:44 PM 

I see a nice AMD64 on there, but no mention of OEM WinXP 64-bit.<
>
<
>
Oversight? Or are you "borrowing" a copy? <
>
<
>
Also, I don't know how hung up you are on Nvidia, but the ATI Crossfire (ATI's SLI) is due out in a month or 3, from what I'm reading.<
>
<
>
Might be worrth waiting for...<
>
<
>
<
><
>
[Tynkur Toyz][66 Gnomish Arch Convoker][Email][Magelo]<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:45 AM 

Three letters when it comes to A64 s939 OCing.<
>
<
>
D F I<
>
<
>
Yep, it costs just about 50% more then the MSI board. However, the DFI board is "the mother-fucking heat", as one would say. Just about every single imaginable setting you could possibly want to change is readily available in the BIOS. Not to mention DFI's support is, imo, better then any other MB manufacturer out there. Peruse the boards over at dfi-street.com, and almost every one of those confusing motherboard settings I mentioned you could change is pretty well explained. It's worth every penny to go with this board over all others.<
>
<
>
Go with Duffy's advice. Get the Venice 3200+<
>
<
>
Then, with the money you save, pick up the DFI board and some better RAM, something like Mushkin's Redline XP4000 would go well with the DFI board, since it lets you use up to 4v on the vDIMM with a simple jumper switch (Mushkin Redline will get down on its knees and suck your dick 3.5v). Decent aftermarket CPU cooling, XP-90 is some of the best air cooling you'll get.<
>
<
>
It sounds like you're at least comfortable with the prospect of fiddling with your BIOS. If you go the way I suggested, you'll need to read a little bit more into the finer arts of overclocking (though nothing too extreme - no modifications, just getting familiar with settings and stability testing).<
>
<
>
However, after all this, you'll save a net 150 bucks, and absolutely *smoke* anything running stock for less then a thousand dollars more. Something that at least deserves to be considered <
>Sequestered Lord Protector - Lanys T`Vyl<i>Edited by: Sir Arris at: 6/29/05 4:58 am<
></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:02 AM 

Get the XP120 over the XP90 for high end air cooling.<
>
<
>
The MSI board is actually a decent overclocker, but not nearly as good as the DFI. My 3000+ Winchester is running stable at 2.6 GHz, up from stock of 1.8, and I still have some room once I fix a couple chipset and memory settings. ---------------------------------<
>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:31 AM 

Quote:Frankly, for 2 drives with such similar performance and the same price i'd get the one with 4x more storage space. I'd get the one that isn't gonna head-crash in one year. Maxtor's reliability sucks balls, and Western Digital's doesn't. Tranthas Stormwalker<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:37 AM 

I bought a 37gb Raptor last year.<
>
<
>
I actually rather regret it. Sure, the performance is nice, but the lack of capacity for the price is sort of annoying. Prophion<
>
Dwarf Hunter of Kargath<
>
<Cult of the Moonkin><
>
300 Skill Dragonscale Leatherworker<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:26 AM 

Quote:I'd get the one that isn't gonna head-crash in one year. Maxtor's reliability sucks balls, and Western Digital's doesn't.<
>
7 years ago i'd agree with you. Not anymore. Back in action baby! EQ - Finlainea - Paladin - Stromm - Fallen LegacyRetired - EQ2 - Finlainea - Dirge - Najena <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:53 PM 

I just lost 2 80gig maxtors.. <
>
<
>
so there track record still stands with me.

3dx Hosting | 3dx Productions | 3dx Mail | 3dx Change | 3dx Imgshost | BBSWatch

<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:47 AM 

<
>
Only reason I didn't recommend the 120 with the DFI MoBo was that it hangs over the memory kinda oddly. Won't fit if you get too tall of DIMMS (though not many are tall enough to block it), and if you have to move/change memory it requires you remounting the heatsink. Though, yeah, it is better then the 90 in termsof cooling. <
>Sequestered Lord Protector - Lanys T`Vyl<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:56 PM 

So Arris, your OCing opinion has caught my eye.. ABout the DFI does it have "presets" so to speak that i can just choose for OCing wise? My friends NForce3 has diffrent levels of preset Ocing that the mobo can enable. IF it doesnt have anything like this.. are there just online guides/setups i can find that people have already done and i can copy them? I know pretty much nothing about ocing but if i could make a 150 dollar processor as fast as a 800 dollar one SAFELY then hell i wanna learn. http://pub99.ezboard.com/bairsoftstop<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:09 PM 

Presets? Other then default safe settings, no, not really. At least that I'm aware of.<
>
<
>
Unfortunately, I wasn't lying when I said you were gonna have to do some reading . Like anything else new that you want to learn, a good grasp of the basics is generally recommended before you start. I'm going to skip giving you a couple paragraphs of poorly written and incomplete pointers, since I'm not a very good teacher. Instead I'll try and start you off in the right place. Give the man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish, feed him for a lifetime.<
>
<
>
OC Forums<
>
<
>
Xtremesystems Forums<
>
<
>
Both those guides are for the basics, pretty easy to understand, and solid groundwork if you decide to pursue this avenue. <
>Sequestered Lord Protector - Lanys T`Vyl<i>Edited by: Sir Arris at: 7/1/05 2:10 pm<
></i>