It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 11:50 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:21 PM 

Recently (today) my buddy just got Satellite internet. His main purpose for this is to get on X-box live. He doesn't have any other kind of internet other then dial-up available to him. I've heard Satellite sucks for gaming, but can anything be done to maybe help out with the lag in games? It took us about 10 trys to get him in my party. Veteran Kaidus Pain
ing<
>
<
>
Retired member of<
>
Monarchy of the dead<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:39 PM 

Satellite is guaranteed a ping time of around 1000ms because of the round trip. Prophion<
>
Dwarf Hunter of Kargath<
>
<Old Board With a Nail><
>
300 Skill Dragonscale Leatherworker<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:43 PM 

Thats correct. I have it here at work and my average ping is about 1200ms. You could play like an MMO with it but its very painful. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:10 AM 

Now that makes me cry I just bought land in the foothills here in CA. The only internet available will be dial up or satellite. Dial up is out of the question. Hell, neither one of my systems even have a dial up modem in them. <
>
<
>
My question to you guys is, of the satellite companies offering internet service, is one better than the other? What should I be looking for? And yes, I do want to be able to play MMOs on it. <
>
<
>
Any information would be very helpful "we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams" O'Shaughnessy<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:20 AM 

If you have the option for a two way satellite (where your up and downstream go on the satellite) versus one way (where your downstream is on the satellite but your upstream is over the phone line) do two way. The equipment costs more, but you'll be happier in the long run. Prophion<
>
Dwarf Hunter of Kargath<
>
<Old Board With a Nail><
>
300 Skill Dragonscale Leatherworker<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:17 AM 

Thanks I'll do that. "we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams" O'Shaughnessy<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:49 PM 

They all do 2 way now. <
>
<
>
Reall sure you can play a MMO over it but seriously its not even fun. I am 100% serious when I say get a dial up modem to play the game and use the sat for bigger downloads / patches and shit. <
>
<
>
Your ping on the dial up will be about 300ms while your ping on the sat could be 1000ms or more. That is a huge difference. <
>
<
>
Think about it like this. With SAT your insta cast spells take at least a second to cast. <
>
<
>
EDIT I also wanted to add that you can get a dial up modem for like 10 bucks. <i>Edited by: Ranvarian at: 6/17/05 2:49 pm<
></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:46 PM 

Can anyone suggest any good satellite internet providers in the Midwest and Western United States? Something that could be used, say, on an RV and would have decent coverage areas? Lord Ssoth<
>
<
>
Their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified the mythology of rights...<
>
and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can survive.<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:06 PM 

Starband or directway. Those are your only 2 choices really. They could potentially do what you wanted. They both pretty much have the same coverage area as say direct TV. <
>
<
>
Really though if you are planning on using it in a mobile situation your best bet would be to try and get your internet through your cell provider. Sure its a bit more expensive but its a lot easier to set up and maintain. <i></i>