Human Torch 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
the Thing 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 15
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:58 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Attachment:
FantasticFour.jpg

I grew up with the FF. This sort of makes me sad.

Quote:
Marvel Comics to Kill Off One of the 'Fantastic Four'
Published December 23, 2010 | Associated Press

The Fantastic Four -- superheroes whose creation nearly 50 years ago helped usher in the Silver Age of comics for Marvel -- is about to become a trio.

Marvel Comics said Wednesday that a member of the foursome -- Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Human Torch and the Thing -- will die in issue No. 587 next month, a change that the company said will ripple across the Marvel Universe like never before.

But who will die? That's a secret protected with more might than the Incredible Hulk and Sentry possess, but executive editor Tom Brevoort, who oversees the comic book, says plenty of clues have been offered during the course of writer Jonathan Hickman's run, including the current "Three" story line.

"I think we've given plenty of hints as to who may die -- perhaps too many, in that every one of our lead characters is left in a dire, life-threatening situation the month before," Brevoort told The Associated Press. "So, hopefully, that will help to heighten the suspense, while preserving the surprise as to which member doesn't make it out alive."

Marvel is taking no chances in trying to contain that secret like it were the wish-granting Cosmic Cube itself.

Readers will find out for themselves when "Fantastic Four" No. 587 is released in January, though it'll be wrapped in a black polybag designed to keep snoops from finding out and spilling the news.

It won't appear on newsstands, either.

"The surprises in this issues -- and what comes next -- constitute one of the biggest events in Marvel history," said David Gabriel, senior vice president for sales and circulation at Marvel.

But is death really the end and, more so, will it be permanent? After all, death has visited the Fantastic Four, which was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and first appeared in 1961, before.

Sue Storm, the Invisible Woman, supposedly died, but that was just a ruse. Similarly, her husband, Reed Richards, aka Mr. Fantastic, was thought dead after being caught in a blast with his archenemy, Dr. Doom. Instead of death, however, Richards and his nemesis were snatched away to another dimension.

This time, however, Marvel is adamant, noting that once the current story ends in No. 588, the Fantastic Four will cease to exist.

"We've been building to this story and this moment since Jonathan began writing the series around a year and a half ago," Brevoort said. "It's a story that will have a transformative effect on these characters -- virtually nothing will be the same after the events of this story. And that was the reason to go this route -- to bring about these seismic changes to the characters and to the series."

Marvel editor-in-chief Joe Quesada said the story is part of a wider effort to not only keep readers entertained, but engaged.

"The beauty of the Marvel Universe is that it is in constant change. Things are always happening, very much like life itself," he told AP. "For us, being stagnant just means that we're not doing our job. At the end of the day, its about characters, soap opera, dramatic events and things that keep our readers coming back for that next installment."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:01 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Eh. Reed, Sue and Ben have all died at some point. Johnny's due and he'll be back eventually. We can't even say "Only Bucky dies forever" anymore.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:56 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Maybe Matter-eater Lad will eat one of them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:10 AM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Hah. Matter eater. really ? :p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:06 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Good call Joxur.

Although I was thinking Doctor Bong might be a dead ringer for being the killer...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:38 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Or Hypno Hustler:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:31 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
not THAT kind of matter Cak

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:50 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

I did say it was going to be Johnny. I cant win Football PUOSU things, but I can win them for comics.

Last edited by Neesha the Necro on Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:28 PM, edited 1 time in total.
spoiler

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:46 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

MTV Geek › Human Torch Dies
Attachment:
ff587_cassadayvariant.jpg

Quote:
Marvel Announces The Death Of The Human Torch In Fantastic Four #587

"FLAME OFF!" the press release sent by Marvel Comics screamed, as the mysterious death of a Fantastic Four member was revealed. With issues of Fantastic Four #587 polybagged as to prevent "spoilage," why announce Johnny Storm's death via an early-morning (I'm still in my pajamas writing this) release?

Well, this is the Internet, folks.

Am I shocked at Human Torch biting the bullet? Actually yes, I was pretty sure it would either be a) The Thing or b) everybody but the Human Torch. But killing the youngest member of the FF sends a chilling effect (if you will excuse the pun) through the Marvel Universe...Johnny Storm, in his prime, cut down in the midst of battle. Next to The Thing, probably one of the most popular Fantastic Four members. You don't expect one of the youngest members to die -- he had everything to look forward to in life.

It's a sad day, friends. Yeah, it's comics...but still, kinda sad.

One of the images Marvel sent over is, I would imagine, *the* death scene in question:
Attachment:
ff587_preview2.jpg

Cripes. Not a fun way to go AT ALL.

Last edited by Neesha the Necro on Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:27 PM, edited 1 time in total.
added spoiler tags

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:12 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Spider-Man Joins the Fantastic Four

Quote:
Spider-Man Joins the Fantastic Four
There is no more Fantastic Four, so just what is the FF? This March, the superstar creative team of Jonathan Hickman and Steve Epting present the over-sized FF #1, introducing the biggest new super hero team of the century!
After the death of the Human Torch, the surviving members of the Fantastic Four—Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman & Thing—join with Spider-Man and some top secret members to form an unstoppable force: The Future Foundation. Their mission is simple: save the Marvel Universe from its greatest threats and prevent future dangers from arising. But even with knowledge of what’s to come and one of the most powerful teams ever assembled, just what villainous force could stand in their way?

“FF will alter the very fabric of the Marvel Universe,” explained Tom Brevoort, Senior Vice President of Publishing. “Jonathan and Steve have crafted a unique, powerful new series that’s going to surprise a lot of fans with its combination of mind-blowing ideas and visuals.”

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:57 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Is that why Chris Evans is both the Human Torch and Captain America? He knew his character would die so he took Captain America role =)

Offline Profile