It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 3:21 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:06 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
They are calling it another "Blair Witch Project" hype horror movie. I will just say this-

This movie is scary. Very scary. I love horror films, I have seen pretty much the majority of them... and I rate this as one of the scariest movies I have ever seen. Period.

Thank me later :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:20 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
I liked this move. I didn't love it.

I thought it was an ok horror movie, a good effort, with some missteps along the way.

I didn't find anything in it particularly scary.

Here's my thoughts on it. Behind a spoiler tag.

Here's what I didn't like:

1) The very, very end is a very blatant and completely dumb attempt to play off of the concepts of The Ring. The movie would have been much, much stronger if it had not gone that route.
2) The pacing of the movie was very, very off. I realize why they did it. It really did help to sort of cement in the mind of the viewer that this WASN'T a movie because it wasn't following the traditional pacing/growing tension of the movie world. I think they could have achieved this with about half of the "dorky boyfriend" moments.
3) I'm sorry, but right about the time I had footage of a ouija board playing itself and leaving a trail of fire? I'd have been submitting that shit to all sorts of people. The boyfriend's "I am the man, I will fix this" stuff is somewhat overblown. How do you fix a flaming ouija board? It is at that moment they should have changed his motivations. He came off as thick and retarded after that point.

Things I liked:

1) No happy ending. While I hated The Ring ending, I love that they followed the idea present in j-horror that the supernatural is something you get the fuck out of the way of, or die trying. No finding a body and burying it in consecrated ground to save the day, no pyschic healing the ghost of their pain, blah blah blah.
2) The shadows. They did a really, really good job of making them immediately noticable and yet not a huge neon sign. When the shadow of a figure bends over the bed (seen cast on the bedroom door), I loved it.
3) The smile. If you watch the movie, you'll know what moment I am referring to. It completely changed the dynamic of the story.

I also REALLY wish that anything that uses a hand cam as the narration device would not immediately be labeled "Blair Cloverfield". Do you call any story written on a typewriter the same thing as the first popular story typed on one? It's about the story, not the narrative device.

edit: Also, it is no longer select theaters. Enough people demanded it on the paramount website and it sold out enough shows that it gets a wide release on the 16th. http://www.chud.com/articles/articles/2 ... Page1.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:39 PM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

That's a great profit for Paramount then... I heard that movie was made for less than $20,000.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:36 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

EQ1: Aaramis, Aerendil
EQ2: Aaramis, Telomir
SWOR: Aaramis
Saw this last night. Amazingly well done. I haven't left a movie theatre where my legs were slightly wobbly since... well, I don't think I ever have.

Fribur - from what I've read, the number is around $15,000 to 16,000. Not bad at all, and just goes to show that you don't need LucasArts level technology and special effects.

Rugen - read this article (link below) about the alternate endings. Apparently the one in the film *now* wasn't the one in the original setup.
http://www.horrorsquad.com/2009/10/11/s ... l-ending/#
(obviously there are spoilers there for those who haven't seen this movie yet - you've been warned)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:47 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
I saw the one labeled "current" version at the three showings in San Antonio, so the changes had to have been made before Paramount decided to do a wide release.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:54 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
so without spoiling myself or others, what was changed from the "original" version?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:01 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Great movie. Word of mouth is spreading because I saw it with a semi-packed house.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:32 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

EQ1: Aaramis, Aerendil
EQ2: Aaramis, Telomir
SWOR: Aaramis
Lord Traxor wrote:
so without spoiling myself or others, what was changed from the "original" version?

Trax - not too much was changed, really. They moved around a few scenes to fit better with the rest of the movie, and added in a few extra scenes as well for better continuity.
The main change was the ending. The current one in the theatres is the third ending so far.
They had one for the original pre-screening version, then changed it, then quickly changed it again to our current one.
For the record, I've only seen the "current" one that Rugen mentioned (and I had similar "meh" responses to it as well (regarding the final, final ending part - but thoroughly enjoyed the minute or so leading up to it), and think I'd have much rather had ending #1 - although I can see why they may have changed it. It would have seriously changed the movie rating to one much harsher.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:36 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
Saw the movie with the "new" ending. Ugh. With a double side of ugh. Awful awful ending compared to the original one. They even cut out a couple scenes in the new one that they did not have in the original (i.e. picture of the couple on the wall and what happens to it). Was not impressed with this "new" version, and just glad that I was able to see the original one before they changed it.

Which I heard that they changed it to maintain their rating. I thought the movie was R rated to begin with, and it is still an R rating? I have not heard of a movie being limited release and then making changes to the mainstream audience for a rating... but at the same time the rating still stays the same? I don't get it. Or did they change it for other reasons unbeknown to me?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:53 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
Well I saw the full release version, and now I wanna know what I missed fire123

so someone pop a spoiler tag and let me know what the org ending was like !

thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:10 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Can't just click the link?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:10 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
I r dumb and didn't see the link

tardsmile

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:13 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

rugen wrote:
I also REALLY wish that anything that uses a hand cam as the narration device would not immediately be labeled "Blair Cloverfield".

Does this movie cause motion sickness like Cloverfield did? Is there a lot of running with the camera?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:19 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

No, the camera is stationary (on a tripod pointed at their bed while they sleep) for half the movie

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:40 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Ok thanks. I was planning on seeing it tomorrow but was going to reconsider if it was anything like Cloverfield.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:25 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

I watched this over the weekend and was mostly bored. I thought the ending was sorta cool, but the movie took a long time to get to it. My friends liked it even less than me.

Other opinions and all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:34 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
The biggest difference between this and Cloverfield is this doesn't suck shit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:42 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I didn't mind Cloverfield so much. I liked the special effects (the Statue of Liberty's head scene was cool).

Offline Profile