It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:37 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:38 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Just finished watching season 1 of this showtime show.

I'm torn. On one side, what a great cast. I've loved Toni Collete since Muriel's Wedding. On the other side, there's some real stretching of the "suspension of disbelief" for the family cohesion in this story.

Basics: After years of being medicated to treat DID (dissociate identify disorder), Tara and her family (husband, daughter, and son) have decided she should go off drugs and work through the issues naturally to discover why she split into multiples and what purpose the multiples serve. The "Alters" are: Alice, a 1950s sugary sweet, yet vindictive bitch, housewife. T, an out of control 15 year slut. Buck, a titty bar goin, beer drinkin, gun shootin, vietnam vet.

Toni does an excellent job of slipping between these characters and making them unique. T is a little...over the top...but then again, so is Alice. It is a little more forgivable when you stop and consider that these aren't actual people...these are her realizations of characters she NEEDS to survive a trauma in her past she can't deal with and who deal with the day to day issues she feels unable to address herself.

Add in a sister that thinks she's acting, parents that want to take the kids away, and an entire neighborhood that knows "her secret"...well, it goes to some interesting places.

I have to say, it is an interesting watch. I'll probably check out the second season.

Offline Profile