Post subject: Good News Everyone!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:12 PM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

EQ1: Worthy
WoW: Worthy
Quote:
Futurama returns with new episodes!
What started as a rumor on the site collider.com - citing an anonymous inside source - has now been corroborated by major TV media outlets such as Entertainment Weekly, Hollywood Reporter, and Variety (update: and a Comedy Central press release). Futurama is set for a return on Comedy Central with fresh episodes in mid 2010.

More detailed story:
Quote:
Emmy champ 'Futurama' has TV future! Bender will drink to that!

Past Emmy winner "Futurama" got axed by Fox network in 2003 after five seasons, but it's developed such a strong cult following since then on DVD and TV reruns that Comedy Central has picked up the show.

"A spokesperson for 20th Century Fox Television confirms that the cable net has ordered 26 new episodes of Matt Groening and David X. Cohen's late, great animated series to air beginning in 2010," reports Mike Ausiello at EW.com.

"Futurama" won the Emmy as best animated program in 2002, beating "King of the Hill," "South Park" and even Groening's "The Simpsons." It was also nominated in 1999 (getting clobbered by "King of the Hill"), 2003 (crushed by "The Simpsons") and 2004 (skewered by "Samurai Jack").

Its appeal to Emmy voters is extraordinary considering how they usually eschew TV shows with such a snarky slacker sensibility -- too much like Emmyless "Beavis and Butthead. Sure, "The Simpsons" -- which has won best animated program 10 times -- is about a slacker too. Homer is that on an epic scale, in fact, but "The Simpsons" fits the traditional family formula like Emmy's past best comedy series champs "Everybody Loves Raymond" or "The Cosby Show," which feature dads who are also idiots within families where moms and (some) kids are wise. But in those cases, the setup is familiar, comfy to conservative Emmy voters.

The rebellious fratboy sensibility of "Futurama" seldom does well at any showbiz award being decided by industry leaders, who are older and part of an establishment crowd that doesn't like being threatened. Or reminded of how uncouth they were as young snarky dudes themselves years ago.

"Futurama" exults in its snarkiness about slacker dudes. The central character is nitwit pizza-delivery boy Philip J. Fray, who falls into a cryogenic chamber in 1999, is frozen and wakes up 1,000 years later where he's befriended by various misfits who include an alcoholic, kleptomaniac robot named Bender.

Last edited by WorthyIam on Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:22 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Added extra link.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Good News Everyone!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:12 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Sweet Zombie Jesus

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:28 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Hopfuly they don't pull a Family Guy and only have 1 good episode per season since getting put back on.

All of the movies have been great however.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:49 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:11 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
http://tv.ign.com/articles/100/1004973p1.html

Sounds like all new voice cast because their budget can't meet salary demands of previous cast.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:40 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
rugen wrote:
http://tv.ign.com/articles/100/1004973p1.html

Sounds like all new voice cast because their budget can't meet salary demands of previous cast.

Weird. The recent few movies they put out on dvd seemed to have all the original voice cast. That would suck if these new episodes had new voices.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:18 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
the movies didn't have the tiny ass budget that comedy central gives all of its "original" programming.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:44 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Vanamar wrote:
the movies didn't have the tiny ass budget that comedy central gives all of its "original" programming.

*nods* I honestly don't think I could watch the show w/out the original folks voicing it.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:02 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Larreth wrote:
I honestly don't think I could watch the show w/out the original folks voicing it.

Ok, I don't like this show at all, but if I did I can't imagine the voice actors would matter that much. Yeah, I'd prefer the old ones, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. The new ones might be better.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:55 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
The voice actors for the show are amazing. =\

They sort of make the characters.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:35 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Yeah I really can't imagine Fry and Zoidberg as anyone but Billy West.
Well that and the other 50 characters he does on the show, but mainly those two.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:20 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
yeah, once you've watched a cartoon for a while, a sudden change in voice actors gives a slight cognitive dissonance.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:00 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
SurcamStances wrote:
Larreth wrote:
I honestly don't think I could watch the show w/out the original folks voicing it.

Ok, I don't like this show at all, but if I did I can't imagine the voice actors would matter that much. Yeah, I'd prefer the old ones, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. The new ones might be better.

It's like the Simpsons. You could get by probably if someone new voiced Lisa (or they phased her out) but some of the actors do a *shitload* of the cast.

South Park had some bumps when the woman who voiced most of the female characters died. Now, they didn't replace her (and her death was a suicide after years of battling clinical depression...and she had a family =\) so there was no fan rage, people were just sad about it but the fans didn't want it to be a deal breaker.

When they had problems with Issac Hayes they made fun of it, and the fans were mostly behind SP on the issue...but they also made no attempts to 'revoice' Chef. It would have sucked if they had. Issac Hayes WAS Chef.

---

Anyway, Futurama has a rabid fanboi base, of which I'm one. ;) I won't watch the show if they recast Billy West and John DiMaggo. I'd be sad if they dumped Phil LaMarr but I think you could lose Hermes and the show could survive. It would be tough to survive without Bender and Fry. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:02 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Oh and just FYI, it's not Comedy Central not paying them. Comedy Central isn't making the shows at all. FOX is, FOX has maintain control, and they're producing them for Comedy Central. So it's FOX who won't pay up.

Now it may be because Comedy Central isn't paying that much for the episodes, but it's FOX who they're dealing with. Also, FOX pulled this same shit on the Simpsons actors when THEY asked for a raise; they sent casting calls out and acted like they were willing to recast them all. IIRC the Simpsons actors banded together in similar form to the actors on Friends in an 'all of us or none of us' move...which is smart.

They now make $400k per episode, which IMO they're entitled to given how much of the characters is really due to their work on the show, plus they get NOTHING in marketing or merch.

Offline Profile