It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:01 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Terminator Salvation
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:38 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
I disliked this movie. Not that enjoyable.

First 45 minutes was boring- telling the story for all the young kids who never saw the first couple of Terminators. When they finally got to the action, it was mediocre. The ending was kinda decent, but did not overcome the overall blah of it.

It was OK at best. And I won't go into plot holes that I found while watching it. McG should stick to TV and music videos- it is what he does best.

And all I know is that I have seen the info stuff on screen before the trailers come out where they give all this movie trivia info. And one said that the loudest movie ever was Close Encounters of Third Kind. I think Terminator Salvation might beat that- this movie was way too loud with the sound effects.

4/10.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Terminator Salvation
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:28 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
i think 4/10 is generous, really bad movie.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:51 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
Saw it. It sucked on pretty much any level you measure it upon. And why did the T-800 at the end start bodyslamming him instead of just punching through his spine?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:11 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

This movie was so bad on so many different levels. I normally try not to nitpick because people will say "suspend disbelief", but there is a difference between allowing for the existence of Skynet and putting up with the utter horseshit this movie puked forward.

In summary, if you don't want spoilers: it's a boring movie that comes up with 1 or 2 semi-interesting ideas that go nowhere. The action is tired, repetitive, and completely lacking imagination - basically Transformers action scenes, only worse (and Transformers was pretty bad). There are 2 or 3 "geek out" parts that reference previous films, but that's it.

Overall, if you love the previous movies (and I do), you will be able to tolerate this as a disposable bit of fun that reminds you of those movies. If you aren't into those movies, I cannot see what you might like about this.

Here are specifics:
Oh, where to start?

We have a guy being put to death because he caused his brother and cops to dies... or something like that. We have no idea what this dude is about other than he appears to be super cool.

He inexplicably rises from the dead in a puddle of mud. Huh?

Kyle Reese and stereo-typical non-talking scarred kid live in LA. Um, ok.
Also, it turns out Kyle Reese is Wiley E. Coyote and in their spare time they setup Terminator killing boobie traps.

And let's see... the first 3 movies have all been about killing John Connor before he becomes a leader. The machines know Kyle Reese is his father, and instead of killing him... they setup an elaborate scheme. Or, we just put a bullet in his head and cancel the entire series. Of course, therein lies the question of how do the machines know Reese is his father? But, I coudl almost let that go.

Did they really need to combine the Matrix Reloaded and Star Trek 5 in that scene where the Terminator meets "the queen" or whatever. God, that was terrible. When did Skynet become a James Bond villian?

I hate to nitpick "realism", but why is it the entire Resistance is afraid to attack Skynet headquarters and needs a special "frequency" to invade it.... but a single guy on foot can infiltrate the headquarters and destroy it? Um... OK.

The fight between John Connor and the Terminator in the end - don't terminators use guns? I thought I was seeing a Terminator moive, not WWF. If I had to watch John Connor get body slammed again, I would expect him to "hulk out".

And, didn't we establish in the previous films that molten metal kills Terminators?

And the movie exposes that nothing makes a girl more horny than the thwarting of attempted rape.

And the writers must play WoW because it appears in the future you can bring things back to life with Jumper Cables.

Playing "You Could Be Mine", the "I'll Be Back", and CGI Arnold were high points. But other than that, this movie had no redeeming qualities.

Oh, and I realize it's "the future", but performing a heart transplant in the field after someone has been stabbed through the chest.... are you kidding me?

OK, I'm done.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:32 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Your impressions are perfect, Orme. Some of the things you listed I did not even notice until now. I was more forgiving than you. Yeah its a bad movie compared to the others. I like part 3 more, and it was the weaker of the 3 at the time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:21 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

It's a series about time-traveling robots. If you go into it hoping to be intellectually engaged your just going to disappoint yourself.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:44 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
I was not going into Terminator Salvation hoping to be intellectually engaged. I was, however, going into Terminator Salvation hoping for a "Terminator" movie complete with some sort of plot, good action scenes, and some suspense. I did not get that, however...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:33 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

That's considered intellectually stimulating in this day and age.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:45 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
i doubt this script was more than 20 pages of actual writing. even with ridiculous concepts like terminator, there should be reasons for things that happen, even if those reasons would only make sense in land of fiction. with this movie, basically the entire setup is humans good robots bad, guy fights a lot of robots because they're there. for a movie with as much action, it sure was a boring hour and a half. if i wanted to watch one side fight another for no apparent reason, i'd play any game in the total war series.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:54 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I've been waiting for them to make a post judgment day movie for years. I already knew why they were fighting. Even with the gaping plot holes I enjoyed it. Sue me.

Why didn't skynet turn its security back on after explaining to the cyborg guy that he was tricked into helping them? Why were the humans able to fly in with only the north side of the security system turned off. Why not kill Reese the second you can?

If the series was going to make any sense the robots would have won in the first movie and ended it. People are just looking back at previous movies with rose colored glasses if they think they don't also contain gaping plot holes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:46 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Snarky00 wrote:
If the series was going to make any sense the robots would have won in the first movie and ended it. People are just looking back at previous movies with rose colored glasses if they think they don't also contain gaping plot holes.
There is a difference between nitpicking and simply rolling your eyes at stupid, lazy writing. To lump this in with the other (superior) movies is not really fair.

Let's recap:
Part 1 was revolutionary in the simple awesomeness of the Terminator and special effect work. It certainly wasn't perfect, but it wasn't as lazy and sloppy. There was the obvious impression that the people had absolutely no chance against it. The action built to a climax, there was actual suspense.

Part 2 again was revolutionary with the effects. There was suspense and real danger starting with the mental hospital and spilling out through the rest of the movie.

Part 3 was mostly fun and campy. It was certainly the weakest of the 3, but it was fun, light, colorful, and a happy respite from Matrix and the various clones of the time.

Again, they're movies and it's opinions, but I can't see how anyone could even remotely compare this to the first 2. If you lump it in with the 3rd, I could buy it - but the first 2 are among the greatest action films ever made.

I had a friend who once declared a movie needed "beta tested". This movie needed beta tested. There were so many simply plot devices and about a gabillion ways to fix them. It was simply stupid and lazy.

For example, the idea of the Terminator being an death row inmate - brilliant. But, why not make him a complete ruthless thug rather than someone with a secret heart of gold? Why not show his murders and play up a temptation angle or something? Instead of having the robots find Reese, why not do something where he's caught and evading detection or something? Build some ... suspense. The idea of John Connor being a false prophet is a great angle - do something with it. Instead it gets thrown into the trash. Instead of a 20 minute WWF match at the end, why not do something else, anything else that makes some sense.

Anyhoo, I guess I'm fired up because I really loved the first 2 movies, and even though the 3rd was cheesy, it was at least fun with a great (semi) twist at the end.

I just think they could have made this so much more and done something other than stash Black Hawk Down, Mad Max, and Terminators into one bad action sequence after another.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:14 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
All I want is some more Liquid Metal, and since Conor fought that shit as a teen I'm sure he's more than prepared for that fight...right...?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:50 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
And why did the T-800 at the end start bodyslamming him instead of just punching through his spine?

I always love that in these movies...there will be these robots that can smash metal into bits, can crush rocks in their hands, can lift and throw cars....but for some reason when they come up against a human, that human is apparently from Dragonball Z and is somehow too tough for the super-robot to just squish.

Like someone else said, that's part of what made the first two movies exciting...that suspense and feeling of, "If this thing catches us, we are FUCKED."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:52 PM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

EQ1: Worthy
WoW: Worthy
I saw this a couple weeks ago.
I really cannot remember much of it.

Pretty Sad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:17 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Bovinity Divinity wrote:
Quote:
And why did the T-800 at the end start bodyslamming him instead of just punching through his spine?

I always love that in these movies...there will be these robots that can smash metal into bits, can crush rocks in their hands, can lift and throw cars....but for some reason when they come up against a human, that human is apparently from Dragonball Z and is somehow too tough for the super-robot to just squish.

Like someone else said, that's part of what made the first two movies exciting...that suspense and feeling of, "If this thing catches us, we are FUCKED."

*nods* that ending of T1 where Sarah Conner and reese were fighting the skella-ahnold in the factory and shes climbing through the machinery with him just behind her...that was good suspense. I don't even want to see this new one after reading all the bad reviews lol....

Those that saw T3 would remember when Arnold was taken over by the nanobot things and started attacking John Conner...He brutally starts beating the shit out of the other terminator in various scenes but when told to flat out kill John he just throws him around and lifts him up..etc...cheese.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:10 AM 
I've pwned over 300 times!
I've pwned over 300 times!

Agreed: this movie was not worth watching. Its only redeeming quality was action, but that was only very mediocre.

Offline Profile