It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: X-Men Origins: Wolverine
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:21 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
1:00 afternoon show was 85% packed. Very impressive for a Friday afternoon. Trailers were absolute bleh- some Peter Jackson "Independence Day" rip-off that will probably be next summer's mega hit, a new Transformers 2 trailer where Megan Fox was in ultra short shorts and her ass was showing (that was nice, half the guys chuckled at that shot :) ), and a much longer Terminator trailer. Outside of Fox's ass in shorts, I knew of all the other stuff and there was nothing really "new" outside of Jackson's teaser.

On to the movie...

Lots of action, great balance of story and action. Never really got dull when it was in story mode. Cool to see the intros of many of the X-Men characters. Special effects were good. However....

-Deadpool was awfully short lived. Looked like that Mortal Kombat character, was a bad ass.
-Gambit didn't have as big a part as I was hoping. Always liked that character.
-Daniel Negraneu (sp) made a cameo at the poker table. I think I was the only one who caught that lol
-The short scene with Stryker walking after the beginning of the end credits was lame. Really? You had to throw that after the credits started to roll to tease the audience? Bleh.

8 out of 10. Summer movies have officially arrived.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:46 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Tyral
cicely wrote:
-Gambit didn't have as big a part as I was hoping. Always liked that character.

Fuck Gambit. He's one of the most contrived characters in comics, created for the sole purpose of being "cool," when he's really just a shitty two-dimensional character. I was glad he never made it into any of the X-Men movies, and I was irritated when I read he was going to be in Wolverine. His backstory has pretty much nothing to do with Weapon X or Wolverine or anything in the movie, so inserting him was, yes, contrived.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:00 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
i always thought the wolverine/weapon x origin stories kind of sucked as a kid, and like everyone i was a total wolverine mark when i was 13 and image's franchises were the edgy thing. personally i didn't give a crap about all the bullshit ways they came up with explaining wolverine and not having a past he can remember, or giving him partial amnesia because the new writers realized the civil war concepts were absolute nonsense (even for x-men). still, i bet this movie is about as good as it could be, based on that kind of crap. probably see it on sunday, unless i sleep late, which could probably be more memorable anyway

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:09 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

This movie is the embodiment of about 3 or 4 horrible Hollywood trends.

1) Comic book movies.
2) Obscure comic book movie plots (origins and other prequels)
3) Franchising - how many fucking Origins movies are there going to be now?
4) Sequels - same stars, no character development, no originality.

Fuck this movie. The only good comic movies I've seen in recent memory were the Dark Knight, Iron Man and Watchmen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:28 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
I should add on one tidbit of info-

I don't know the comic book storylines of X-Men and all its characters. I am not a nerd/geek with regards to every minute detail of the characters. I could care less how "true to roots" the movie is because, quite frankly, as a kid growing up I could care less about comic books and such.

Having said all of that, and being your standard movie goer (instead of comic book geek, or X-Men nerd fan), I keep my review as is. So I guess if you are a pure fan, and you know every line of every comic book... then you probably won't like it. I don't know every line, and I liked it. Take it for what it is.

Now- I am a nerd/geek with Star Wars... not as much as other people, but I know more than most. So you can label me with that tag :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:58 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Hubby and I saw it today and we liked it, Thought Ryan Reynolds was hot. But the movie was good besides that. lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:26 PM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

Ryan Reynolds pfft...did you see Daniel Henney!?

I got to see him 2 weeks ago. Then the week after, I saw John Cho in Star Trek. Although John Cho doesn't look Japanese by any stretch of the imagination, it was nice to see the two of them in movie roles that weren't that horrible Breakfast at Tiffany's type crap.

Offline Profile