It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:50 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:55 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I haven't seen the season premiere yet but I did watch the 1 hour special about the 'unsolved mysteries'. I have a question: the numbers. Did they ever explain them? I'm assuming I must have missed some episode or some explanation because any reference to them has disappeared in the last 2? seasons.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:56 AM 
Bridge Dweller

nope, lost sucks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:43 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
I quit after season 1 - too many loose ends and bullshit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:29 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I prefer stories. These guys are just modifying Mad-Libs with dice-rolls.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:01 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Yeah I walked away from it awhile back.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:53 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
I own seasons 1-4 on DVD.

Only season 1 has been opened and watched.

I did tape the first episode last Wednesday. If people talk about it I will quickly watch seasons 2-4 and get caught up. Otherwise if there is no water cooler talk... then I will just wait for season 5 on DVD in the fall...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:55 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Do they have water coolers in the break room at Wal-Mart? Figured they'd just have fountains.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:13 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
I walked away at the end of Season 2. It was highly apparent to me that whatever genius was in season 1 was entirely accidental. I got sucked back into it because my best friend knows "Ben" and he wanted me to get him the episodes so he could see. And when I say sucked back in, I mean in a "oh god make it stop" kind of way. Much like with books, even when I know it is going to be shit, I have to keep watching/reading past a certain point. I'm there with LOST, god help me.

The show is utter and complete crap. The opener just proved to me (again) that they have no desire to answer anything. They are just going to keep making up new mysteries until they get canceled because they have no idea what to do with what they have.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:27 PM 
Bridge Dweller

lost was never a good show. to say it was "genius" is laughable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:01 PM 
I am a Spaceman

Lost is a really good show, you guys are giant retards. The last two seasons had some misses, but the final stretch of last season was really great and so was the premiere this week.

The numbers were explained in one of the faggoty internet games they run during the offseason. They're part of some dumb equation and the explanation it pretty stupid and unnecessary. They're just numbers that show up all the time, are related to the island, and Hurley had really bad luck after he used them in the lottery. They still show up all the time on the show, especially in Hurley's flashbacks.

I guess I don't really understand why people criticize the show for not explaning every single aspect of what's going on in explicit detail. The show is about the characters and their interactions and stuff. Every main character besides Locke has always been focused on getting off the island, not turning into island mystery detectives. Although, more recently, the island mysteries have become a greater focus since more characters have showed up who are interested in the mystery of the island, and also Ben has become one of the main characters with his own flashbacks.

The island is just a cool place for the characters to hang out at. The show is great because the characters are great and so are the actors. Except for Kate. And Charlie, but he is dead now. The bad episodes in season 3 and 4 weren't any worse or more numerous than the terrible run of episodes House has every season for it's overwrought dramatic arc (Vogler, Stacy, Tritter, Amber until she died).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:43 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I've never really watched the show, but do you think a plane (boat, whatever) full of people could ever really go missing for more than a week with the technology we have available today? Maybe they explain how they can't be found in the plot, but hell, even GoogleEarth maps everything on the planet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:40 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Well, Droma, if you say, "...and all the hairbrushes are missing after the crash" - I want to fucking know why!

They may or may not have explained that, but still.... You can't keep piling on mystery after mystery and never explain any of it. Fuck, at the end of every scooby-doo they had the decency to pull the fucking mask off.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:44 AM 
I am a Spaceman

The island they crash on is a mystery island full of magic, the fact that no one can find it is a major part of the plot.

Who said all the hairbrushes are missing after the crash? What are you talking about? Hmm.. maybe your right lost should be more like scooby doo, that's a good point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:40 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
I've never really watched the show, but do you think a plane (boat, whatever) full of people could ever really go missing for more than a week with the technology we have available today? Maybe they explain how they can't be found in the plot, but hell, even GoogleEarth maps everything on the planet.

I find myself with a lyric from the Rocky Horror Picture Show to answer you...

"Lost in time...and space.....and MEANING."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:12 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Rugen's spoiler tag doesn't work for me.

I watched the premier and I thought it was ok. I don't mind Lost all that much. It's all in how you look at it, I guess. It's got a lot of unexplained stuff going on, but it's reasonably interesting, unexplained stuff, and I don't mind tuning in weekly to see what happens next. Supposedly it gets wrapped up in 2010. We'll see. Regardless, it's a story arc that's not a medical show or a procedural crime solving show, and that alone makes it noteworthy in today's television landscape.

Also, for the record, Lost doesn't drive me as batty as a LOT of new shows with consistency issues. While there is plenty that's not explained, the story arc is pretty solid when they do get around to explaining one thing or another. I don't tend to nitpick as much with it as I do with some of the other stuff I watch.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:08 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
jj abrams should basically die

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:14 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

There was a little girl on Family Matters that mysteriously disappeared.

Droma: They mentioned it in the first few episodes - maybe even the first one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:40 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Droma wrote:
The island they crash on is a mystery island full of magic, the fact that no one can find it is a major part of the plot.

The plot being "milk this shit for all we can." It's the perfect show for the ADD masses. If anything takes more than 15-30 seconds to explain you can just bury it under another slew of "mysteries"

What did you roll?
Ok, that would be a Polar Bear!
Wait, are you reading the tropical list or arctic?
Fuck it, it will be just that more god damn amazing!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:16 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
The first season was/is very good. Regardless of how seasons 2-* have turned out... the first season was entertaining and engrossing. I was definitely a fan and on board then.

Shame that it seems to have "jumped the shark" to so speak. I just hope I am using that phrase in the right usage, have heard it so many times but never knew exactly what it meant...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:35 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

"Jumped the shark" comes from a Happy Days episode. They had a gimmick episode where the Fonze jumped a shark on his motorcycle. It's pretty much universally agreed that it was that show that was the turning point for the series; when it went from good to suck. Now it's slang for any show that was once good and now sucks.

I still like Lost though. Heh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:46 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:40 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Neesha the Necro wrote:

Look how long it took to find Steve Fossett and he wouldn't have been found except for freak chance.

Then there was that movie Alive /shudder...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:01 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

That was the turning point of Happy Days, eh? So I can only imagine that the later episodes broke into your home and anally raped your aged grandmother when you watched them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:27 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
While there is plenty that's not explained, the story arc is pretty solid when they do get around to explaining one thing or another.

Ok, I'll bite. I've seen every episode. I'm curious exactly what you think they've explained "solidly" about the island thus far.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:04 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

They don't really explain much about the island. You do, however find stuff out about the people that are on it. I don't really care that much about what the island turns out to be. It's a magic island! Not a big deal. I like to see what happens to the characters next. Thus far, the story has been pretty consistent when they reveal things about the characters and their interactions, is all. /shrug.

And that's the first time I had actually seen the fonze jump the shark! That's awesome! Heh, I had always heard it was on his motorcycle. Interesting to see it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:45 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
I don't really care that much about what the island turns out to be

Most people do. And the writers themselves even seemed to think it was the point of the story when they promised viewers that "all of the mysteries have a rational explanation behind them". Heck, the characters themselves think "what is going on with the island" is the point, from the old captain of the Blackrock to Jack.

So, just clarifying...4 seasons. Not a single answer. About any of it. No answers, just more questions and some of the original questions are let to rot in a corner somewhere, hoping you forget about them.

Doesn't bode well for how they intend to finish.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:25 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Thanks for clarifying Rugen. Maybe I will just save some time and watch the final episode when it airs... Then I can find out wtf happened to the hairbrushes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:31 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I absolutely agree, Rugen, it doesn't bode well. At this point my curiosity is piqued about how they will keep their promise to provide rational explanations. I have this disturbing fear that it's going to end up all being one of Hurley's 'issues'.

But back to the whole numbers thing...
Droma, I haven't touched any of the online stuff. Could you better explain about the numbers and how/why they intersect with Hurley's life or link me the site? Really, the numbers are probably the one mystery that I need them to provide an explanation for.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:27 AM 
I am a Spaceman

Lostpedia - (http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page)
the numbers - (http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Numbers)
the equation - (http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Valenzetti_Equation)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:58 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Thanks, Droma.

Offline Profile