It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:49 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:55 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I realize this makes me sound like an idiot... but when do movies come to PPV on Time Warner normally? Do all movies eventually get there for a little while, or only certain studios.

I never managed to catch Iron Man or Hulk in the theater, and want to watch them.

I've lived on my own now for 15 years, and this is the first time I've ever had cable... that I paid for. HD PPV is great. Why does anyone go to the movies any more?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:26 AM 
Spider Slayer

Do you have a menu that maybe lists what they are on your cable box? Comcast has some OnDemand type system that basically does this. Lists all new releases and has previews/reviews.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:27 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
There is still something to be said about going to see some movies on opening night/weekend at the theatre for the theatre atmosphere, especially if the theatre is full of like minded individuals. There is a level of excitement, suspense, etc that comes with an opening weekend theatre experience that watching it at home on your HDTV cannot compare.

Granted, this does not work for all movies. Most movies is probably best to just watch at home. But I remember watching some movies in a packed theatre on opening night/weekend/pre-opening weekend that provided some wonderful experiences at the theatre.

I remember Jurassic Park, and the entire theatre ooooing and aaaahing when the dinosaurs first came on... I remember watching the Matrix on opening night and the crowd just in awe of the spectacle... I remember watching Blair Witch Project when it was still believed to be true, before it was released nationwide, and having half the audience still seated after all the credits rolled and the lights came on because they were so petrified and shocked at what they saw that they physically could not move out of their chair... experiences like that that watching it at home could not have replicated.

And yes, I am aware that Blair Witch is an awful movie. I agree. But pre-nationwide opening, when everyone thought it was real... wow. Still one of the best movie experiences I have been at.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:48 PM 
Bridge Dweller

You are a true nerd.

I'd rather enjoy a freshly leaked DVD screener of Batman: The Dark Knight on opening weekend whilst drinking beer with my friends and family. Considerably less and I can spend my money elsewhere. Who cares about being around a bunch of "like minded" people? I've already got enough people and friends in my life.

/veto

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:24 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Cicely, some movies are worth going to for the theater effect. Most aren't for me anymore... I'm old.

I was just curious how long until I can expect Iron man and Hulk on PPV :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:20 AM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
God how old are you Orme? 33? ;p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:57 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Directv ppv seems to have shit after it comes out on DVD now. :\

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:58 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Quote:
Cicely, some movies are worth going to for the theater effect.

Using that logic, wouldn't you say that the ones worth going to the theatre for are the ones like Hulk and Iron Man? Plot-driven movies can be seen anywhere, the action ones are "better" in theatres. Or perhaps you want to see the Hulk for the exciting story and not the stunning visuals.

To answer your question, they usually come on PPV around the same time they are released on Video, but some movies come out a few weeks after they have already been released on DVD.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:08 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Anytime between 3 to six months once they exit the theatre is probably the answer you're looking for. As of late, over the recent years they have moved more closer to 3ish months. It's timed pretty much to DVD releases.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:28 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
Hey, just out of curiosity, what kinda cable do you have and what are you paying? I went down to get my service transfered from Wilmington to Milford. I was paying $23 a month for high speed in Wilmington, and when we got down here we decided to get cable TV. We went down to Eastgate mall and we talked to a customer service chick... by the time we left we were dizzy.

They have so many plans and "deals" and bundles and bullshit. Anyhoo, what we ended up with is broadband internet and Basic Tier, Standard Tier, Digital Standard Tier, PPV, On Demand Free on demand, HD Basic+ HD Standard ++ with DVR - total bill is 98 a month. We did not do the contract thing for 2 years, if we had, I think we coulda got it for 89 a month - but then you are locked in, and I hate contracts.

Anyhoo, I'm not a big fan of paying 100 bucks a month for cable but we can kinda justify it as saving money if we stay in and watch TV.

Over all, so far, we are enjoying it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:39 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I pay like $120 a month for DTV (no internet) if that helps.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:21 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

One more stupid question - do all movies come to PPV or do different studios have different agreements with cable providers?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:17 PM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

EQ1: Qindyin
WoW: Tgurok
Many movies are same day as DVD for PPV now, but it depends really.

Offline Profile