It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:55 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fringe
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:16 AM 
I schooled the old school.

So, what did you think? I really enjoyed it.

In the first half I had a hard time swallowing the story. How could a single FBI agent get that kind of money and clearance to do all the things she does at the beginning? Off to Iraq on a whim, back, allowing two complete unknown people in to see her dying boyfriend (forgot the name), then MOVING him into a Harvard basement with apparently no media noticing the cow brought down the hallways. There was a lot to swallow there.

However, it became slightly more believable when her superior turned out to be a member of some elite top secret government group with unlimited funds. It made it look like perhaps she was allowed the resources she was given to test her, or something. At least it let me stop thinking about it and get back to enjoying the story.

I'm looking forward to next week! It looks like a new version of X-files to me.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Fringe
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:06 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I had thought the same as you but ended up at the same conclusion as well. I enjoyed the episode but I'm hopeful that it won't turn out to be entirely like Lost where *every* episode is just another major cliffhanger, I can only handle one of those shows.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:10 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

I was a bit lukewarm. I like the concept and the actors, and the overarching storyline is appealing.

But...

I got burned on X-Files too many times with the monster of the week episodes. When X-Files followed the main plotline, I thought it was excellent.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:37 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Smallville had that villain of the week bullshit too and after 8 seasons now, Clark hasn't gone fully Superman. Gay. I hate that show now.

I love the designer stubble that Pacey has though. Looks sweet! Haha

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:57 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Smallville went away from "villain of the week" after three seasons, it's actually pretty enjoyable now (granted, I haven't yet watched any of S7, I probably should do that before S8 starts.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:14 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Well, I'm tired of the Chloe / Lana / Clark drama, that seems to be a pretty major part of the storyline and not at all what I'm interested. I know it's shifted to Lex and his father and Clark but I still dunno if I can swallow it. What are they doing nowadays?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:38 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Well, the Chloe/Lana/Clark drama went away when Lana married Lex, and Lana then turned semi-evil because of Lex rubbing off on her. I know bizzarro made an appearance at the beginning of S7, and Supergirl showed up too, but it ended up being Brainiac again.

Not 100% sure where S7 actually ended though.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:55 AM 

Fuck Smallville, this thread was supposed to be about Fringe :p.

I'm surprised more of you didn't see this show. It seemed like the kind of show I thought the demographic of this board would be watching.

If you missed it, here's a link to the show on the Internet-- they have the full episode on their official website.

http://www.fox.com/fringe/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:09 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
I watched it. It was very....inelegant. The level of suspension of disbelief required for it was pretty heavy, the acting was poorly done, and quite frankly (perhaps I'm in a minority) I think X-Files was a better show before you needed a score card to keep track of the "smoking man conspiracy", and this show is starting out of the gate with one. Doesn't bode well. The problem with conspiracy theory shows is that they think they can't ever answer the questions or they will lose the viewers, but they have to keep introducing new questions on top of that, and it just gets....lame. Quickly.

I normally give new shows 3 episodes, but this first one was bad enough I may break my own rule.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:28 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Yeah, I didn't love it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:09 AM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

EQ1: Qindyin
WoW: Tgurok
Fall rollout of new shows is so spread out anymore, its hard to tell what starts when.

I've seen both episodes, it's ok decent and the self handjob for limited/shorter commercials is amusing.

It's something I have my dvr record every week.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:03 AM 

I missed it last week, but I watched Fringe again last night, and enjoyed it.

Quote:
I watched it. It was very....inelegant.

Personally, I tend to give shows a free pass for their first several episodes in terms of their "elegancy." Shows usually take time to develop into a "good" show. I can give you three quick examples:

1. Star Trek: The Next Generation. Remember the first season? Go watch the first few episodes and notice how stilted they are. It really wasn't until the second season that it started to gel, to me.

2. Friends. Ever watch reruns of the first several episodes? Not great shows at all. But it turned into a show that I watched for years.

3. Sports Night. This is a show that I listed as one of my all-time favorites, yet the first several episodes didn't work for me. They had a laugh track at the time, and it just didn't work for it. It wasn't until they removed the laugh track and tightened up the dialogue that it became the show that I loved.

Fringe, to me, has all the right stuff to become the next X-Files type show. Reviewers really like it too. I'm going to be watching this one for a while, me thinks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:32 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Fringe exceeds my "roll my eyes and shake my head" per episode limit. My tolerance for suspension of disbelief extends to "sci-fi" things that are obviously the premise of the show. What irritates me is stupid little things that are obviously poor research and there's really no excuse for. The killer uses medical grade linen sheets so as to not leave any trace evidence? Hospitals are really using 1000 thread count sheets now, to prevent staining? Really? I'm ok with aliens, but I have half a dozen objections to the sheets. Heh, the whole show seems like that to me.

If you're going to write a fantasy and set it in the real world, at least try to make the "real" parts of the real world consistent with reality.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:39 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I watched the first three episodes last night on hulu.com, and I'm still not sure about the show. I really didn't like the pilot, but by the third episode I felt the cast was starting to gel more.

One thing that is bothering me is the suspension of disbelief that I have to engage in as a resident of metro Boston. Per wikipedia, the filming is being done in Toronto. While they are using some stock exteriors and helicopter shots of Boston, none of the actual outdoor scenes appear to be filmed in Boston. Even worse, it doesn't seem like they've employed a Bostonian dramaturge to consult on continuity/realism issues.

"South Station" was clearly some train depot in Toronto that looked *nothing* like South Station at all, nor did the train interior look anything like the MBTA Commuter Rail trains (much, much nicer, in fact). They are supposedly working out of the "Boston Federal Building," but there are multiple federal buildings in Boston, none of which are named the Boston Federal Building. The bridge in "Stoughton"? Stoughton is an inland suburb with lots of trees and houses and strip malls. There are no large bridges, there's no warehouse district. The storage units in Chelsea? Chelsea is 100% urban, 100% developed, blue collar town, right across the river from Boston itself - there aren't any storage units in Chelsea that aren't completely surrounded by other buildings. When Pacey says that once they got priced out of their house in Cambridge, they had to move to Allston, that makes sense in terms of housing costs, but his pronounciation was all wrong - he said AL-ston (like the name, Al), rather than all-STON, like the word "all" with the emphasis on the second syllable.

The stuff like the storage unit, or train station, I can live with (even though filming in Massachusetts is really tax-favored right now - something like 5 major movies were shot in Mass in 2007) because you do what you can with where you're filming. But the other stuff, like getting place-names wrong, just speaks to laziness in production that I wouldn't expect from the team making the show.

Offline Profile