It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:13 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:31 PM 
I schooled the old school.

I just saw a trailer for this new Star Wars animated movie coming out in a few weeks. It was the first I had heard of it-- here's the movie website:

http://www.starwars.com/clonewars/site/index.html

What do you think? My first reaction when I saw it on TV was meh; as much as I didn't like The Phantom Menace, I thought the next two movies did much to redeem it. Throwing out animated films like this makes me worry that they will continue to degrade the original movies.

Mixed feelings at best, I guess.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:45 PM 

Well, after having watched most of the videos on the website, I have to admit I'm interested in seeing it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:26 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I miss SWG.

That being said, it does look interesting. Funky format, I dig it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:39 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
I like how they kept a bit of the art style from the Clone Wars cartoons. I'm really looking towards this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:23 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

I'll continue the spread the cheeks a bit further to allow Lucas to continue his brutal prison anal violation of my inner child.

God knows I got hooked already this year with Indiana Jones, why not this one as well?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:34 AM 
Lois Lane!

My kid wants to see it. And really, at heart, Star Wars were designed as kids' movies (except for III...where the kids are killed!).

I won't pay for us to go see it right away - I'll probably wait til it's at the cheap theater.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:03 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
I took my son to see this today. Not bad. It doesn't have any strong emotional tugs or huge WOW moments. Samuel L. Jackson is still the voice of Mace Windu as is Christopher Lee as Count Duku.

Lots of combat decent popcorn flick.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:35 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Something that irks me is that they released this as a movie when it was meant to be a 2 hour season premier for the Clone Wars cartoon show that starts on cartoon network in a few months. A mere pilot that people are judging like a movie.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:25 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
The NASA Clone Wars exhibit is cool. They have some of the weapons that were used in filming the other movies, a lot of the artwork from the movie, a "full-scale replica" of Kenobi's Jedi fighter, and have Capt. Rex's suit along with the other space suits.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:07 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Khameir
WoW: Khameir
Rift: Khameir
EQ2: Khameir
LoL: Khameir
SWOR: Khameir
So I submitted to the Lucas Mind Control Device and watched The Clone Wars...

This movie is, for those who're unaware, simply the 2 hour premiere episode for the "new" Clone Wars animated series set to start airing soon. In reality, this was a cheap attempt to snag young people who know what Star Wars is but are still too young in years to understand whats happened to the franchise over the its 30+ year existence.

The animation style isn't terrible during the action sequences, but when the characters are simply walking/talking it looks and feels like all the characters are puppets on invisible strings. I'll never understand why Lucas didn't continue to employ Genndy Tartakovsky and his animation studio...the 2003 Clone Wars from Cartoon Network (in my opinion) were almost better then the Prequels themselves.

The story is 100% predictable, the dialog is still stiff and bland, the constant re-hashing of previously used quotes (I hope I'm not alone, but "I've got a bad feeling about this" is almost starting to sound like a catchphrase) is getting old...however, those aren't even my biggest complaint. Which comes in the form of a subplot I'll toss a spoiler tag on...

The subplot, which comes into play about 3/4 through the movie, involves Padme. Due to other events in the story, Padme goes to a Night Club on Coruscant to speak with Zero the Hutt...Jabba the Hutt's Gay Night Club owning Uncle. The scenes involving this character are completely useless. Even for being a predictable story with bad dialog, this movie would've earned more points had it not been for this 1 character. If I ever see an action figure of Zero I'll buy it just so I can pour gasoline on it and light it on fire.

However, the formula really does work. My 4 year old, whose already turning into a SW Fan, loved it. It proves my theory that this movie was tailor made for kids and to sell more toys. Your average SW fan will likely hate it, which i can't blame them. Personally, while I'm still a huge SW fan, I've given up on anything in SW that is set between Episodes 1 thru 6 (minus The Force Unleashed....but thats another story) and hope that after this little animated series has its run someone at Lucas will bitch slap George and tell him to leave the Skywalkers alone...its time to move on.

They need to go into the KOTOR era or post Legacy era...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:33 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
I'd like to see a story of Yoda and how he came ot be the man, He was around for a few hundred years and we barely know anything about him!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:20 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Uh, no! Please don't give him ideas!

Some things rather be kept a secret. Like Jabba's gay night club owner uncle!

Offline Profile