It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:02 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Happening
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:55 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
When I first saw The Sixth Sense, I was floored at the end at the surprise twist. I simply did not see it coming- some people did, most did not. I went back and watched that film in theatres a couple more times, looking at all the foreshadowing that M Night did. It impressed me, I thoroughly enjoyed that entire movie experience, and thought that he did a fantastic job at presenting the movie to the audience. I became a big fan of him, after just one film.

Since then, I have seen every one of his film's except for Unbreakable. I feel that the quality of his films have degressed, rather than impressed. Each movie becomes a lower quality work than the previous, and has left me disappointed each time. However, I still go to see them because some small part of me wants that same reaction and involvement I had with The Sixth Sense... hoping for all this foreshadowing in front of me, doing a great job of being secretive, and then exploding with a plot twist at the end that leaves me wanting more. I continually was disappointed, but never gave up hope.

And then I saw The Happening today.

First thing- I thought that the movie was going to be poor. They kept on stating in the promos that this was his first R rated movie, as if that is supposed to draw the masses. Whenever you are banking public personna on your movie rating (instead of, I dunno, quality of theme and idea... actors... suspense.... dialogue... etc), and that is really the only thing that you get from it- that is never a good thing. So I went in with lowered expectations than usual. I went to IMDB, I believe they had it at 6.3 or so- not that bad, but definitely not good. So I went in hoping for something decent, be entertained, and still clinging to this love affair with a Sixth Sense-like plot twist at the end.

I have only fallen asleep once during a movie- Batman and Robin (the one with Arnold and Carrey). I have only brought out my phone and played Tetris during a movie once due to sheer boredom- Epic Movie (still don't know what possessed me to see that). If it was not for the five high school kids behind me making noise throughout this movie, then The Happening would have featured both me sleeping and doing something on my phone.

Yes. It was that horrific. It was embarassingly painful to watch, it was one of the most boring films I have ever seen, and when the movie was over I went to the ticket stand and asked for a refund. The movie theatre, unfortunately, did not grant that.

I am no longer a fan of M Night. This movie is a complete flop, an utter disaster, and a waste of 100 minutes of my life. I urge all who have the slightest inclination to see this movie to just grab an ice pick and stab at your eyeballs- the pain won't be as severe...

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The Happening
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:11 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
WHAT A TWIST!

M. Night Shamalamadingdong's writing has consistently disappointed me. I tried explaining it to the missus thusly:

He builds a story. He develops memorable characters. He introduces an issue. Then, fifteen minutes before the curtain, he rewrites the ending, adds twenty three Macguffins, and calls it a twist.

I will not be seeing The Happening (although, cc, you might want to see Unbreakable - the producers' changes made it watchable).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:42 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
Yup, his movies have been ass since 6th sense. .. one trick pony .

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:03 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
I can't believe he came up with something more fucking retarded than aliens being allergic to water.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:29 AM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

I feel sad I wasted $10 on this instead of the incredible hulk. It was almost worth it for the lawnmower bit but...horrible story in general,
nothing can make up for talking plants that make people commit suicide

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:33 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
I actually feel sorry for the guy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:50 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Quote:
I can't believe he came up with something more fucking retarded than aliens being allergic to water.

Sadly, he didn't even come up with that. Larry Niven used that gimmick in Protector to wipe out a whole alien race. Of course Niven is a great writer and has more than a lonely brain cell, and set it on a planet that didn't have, you know, an atmosphere saturated with water.

That was one of my favorite books as a kid, and made me like Signs even less than I had already been liking it when they got to the aliens.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:54 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
In Signs his aliens managed to master space travel but not cellar or pantry doors. That movie was indeed a sign, and I haven't bothered watching one of his crap-fests since.

Offline Profile