It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:08 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:23 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
There have been a couple of movies I have seen lately that the main character dies, and goddamn I love it. I don't want to spoil here so I won't mention them by name, but I think it adds so much to a movie when a character dies that should die.

This seems to be happening more recently, and I for one think it's great. Movies that you have an investment in the title character and then to have them meet a logical end really leaves an emotional impact on me. I like that.

There was a movie awhile back called Happy Feet. There was a scene in the movie where the penguin ends up in a cage, at a zoo or aquarium or something -he kinda goes nuts, I think he starts pounding on the wall and screaming, and then they zoom out to outterspace for a shot of the earth... I always felt that movie should have ended right there. How fucking great would that have been. I even remember when it happened, I thought it was the end of the movie for a second and I even said something to my wife like "wow that was an awesome ending" - of course it went on from there that the penguin started communicating to people and saving the world.. wtf ever.. stupidass movie.

One of the reasons I liked Deadwood and Sopranos so much is because NOBODY was safe.

I think they should kill more people. It makes better movies.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:38 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Annastazia
WoW: Gravestone
/agree

For me it comes from watching actors/athletes trying to be bigger than the stage that gets them attention.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:54 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

WoW: Prystus
While I don't disagree, it does surprise me you went into a kids movie with a title like "Happy Feet", of all things, and were really expecting it to end on a sour note?

Please.

"People sometimes say that ideas cannot be stamped out by force. The Albigensian Crusade proves them wrong. Ideas can be stamped out by the elimination of everyone who holds the ideas." - Quote :"Middle Ages" by Morris Bishop.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:58 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

I'm with you on this all the way and I'd extend it. For example sports movies, I can't fucking stand them any more. They're all the same. Build the shit up and have the mother fuckers lose! Otherwise it's just painfully predictable. You seen one damn sports movie, you've seen them all.

You need a montage!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:14 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I don't know what sports movies you watch, but the "good" ones don't all follow that formula. Quit watching sports movies about kids overcoming the odds , donkeys kicking field goals, and/or monkeys named Ed.

The Natural - he hits it out of the park
Major League - they win it all
Field of Dreams - he builds it, they come
Happy Gilmore - the price was RIGHT, bitch
Tin Cup - he loses, but with style
Hoosiers - picket fence = win
Remember the Titans - racial harmony and ass kickery

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:10 PM 
I schooled the old school.

I'm confused... are you trying to list movies that DO follow the formula, or that don't?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:00 PM 
Lois Lane!

Wasn't there a sports movie within the past few years where they didn't win? It was based off of a true story, and the movie peeps wanted to change it around so that they would, but they went with reality? Or maybe I"m wrong...

Also, this is why I like George R.R. Martin's novels. You never know who is going to die next...

I have to disagree with you on Happy Feet. It's a children's movie, not for adults. If it were for adults, it'd be a great ending (what you suggested). Otherwise, let the kids have happy endings.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:01 PM 

Bridge to Terabithia is a kid's movie (and book) that ends quite sad, with a main character dying. It can be done in kid's stuff too! When I was a kid, this book was one of my favorites.

My Girl comes to mind, as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:34 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Quote:
I'm confused... are you trying to list movies that DO follow the formula, or that don't?

I thought he was saying that today's sports movies have them all losing. Guess I misread it. :P

I really just used it as an excuse to make my little blurbs, anyway. :partyman:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:14 AM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

Quote:
Wasn't there a sports movie within the past few years where they didn't win? It was based off of a true story, and the movie peeps wanted to change it around so that they would, but they went with reality?

We Are Marshall

It was a good movie.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:40 AM 
Lois Lane!

Fribur wrote:
Bridge to Terabithia is a kid's movie (and book) that ends quite sad, with a main character dying. It can be done in kid's stuff too! When I was a kid, this book was one of my favorites.

My Girl comes to mind, as well.

Yes, but those two movies are very different from the type of movie Happy Feet is. Also, the age it's aiming for is a bit younger. Happy Feet targets ages from possibly 3-12ish. (My 4-year-old son adores it.) Bridge to Terabithia and My Girl are for older children...probably starting around ages 8 or 9.

Explaining why a favorite character had to die to an older child is much easier than to a 4-year-old.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:32 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
lol, I hadn't thought of that... I guess it's not cool to make little kids cry.

"Mama what happened to happy feet? *cry*????"

Still, when I watch the movie, I am just going to stop it right at that point from now on and pretend the rest of the movie was for 4 year olds so they wouldn't cry.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:15 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Quote:

My 5 year old did *NOT* like that movie. My 4 year old didnt get it, but unfortunately even though my older daughter seemed to understand that sometimes it just happens and it wasnt anything bad or anyones fault, she still didnt understand it and it was really hard to deal with. I think she identified with the girl on a lot of levels and had problems coping with the death... It took about a week of working with her to get her back to normal....

Dunno if i would suggest it to kids under 8-9, and even then it might be iffy... It all depends on the kid though, too... I dont think my youngest has the same mindset and would be as bothered even if she understood better. Its amazing how extremely different my two girls are in the way they think, and theyre only 11 months apart...

Formerly known as:
Dashkast Justifyer
75 Gnomish Puppy kicker

Offline Profile