Post subject: New Wheel of Time Author
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:17 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
http://www.lfgcomic.com/

From the Looking For Group comic blog:
Quote:
The big news in the world of Fantasy literature is that Mr. Brandon Sanderson, author of The Mistborn Series and Elantris, has been chosen to finish the late Robert Jordan's masterwork, Wheel of Time Book 12: A Memory of Light.

In the interest of full disclosure, and because I like using important terms such as full disclosure, I will tell you that Brandon and I have struck up a casual e-mail friendship over the last few months. While I had no idea this was in the works, this didn't stop me from offering my services to him yesterday, just in case he needed a few jokes written for Rand, Mat, and Perrin.

As The Wheel of Time is not that known for it's off the wall comedy, I don't have much hope that he'll take me up on the offer.

I must also tell you, that I have not yet read any of Brandon's novels. As of today however, they are going to the top of my reading list, and I'll get to them immediately after I finish up Goodkind's Phantom (Yes, I finally broke down and forced myself through it).

While I am insanely, ridiculously pleased to know that WoT will be finished and not left in eternal limbo, there is a large feeling of trepidation that another other than Jordan will be wielding that mighty pen.

I remain confident however, because of a few points:

Harriet, Jordan's wife, will be editing Sanderson's work, as she did the last 11 books in the series. If there's one thing I know about writing, is that behind every writer, there is the person who pushes, who rereads, who critiques; for Jordan, that person was Harriet.
Harriet herself is the one who chose Sanderson, and I have a hard time believing that before Jordan's death, he did not make a shortlist of who he wanted to finish his series.
Sanderson will be working off of Jordan's notes, which according to Harriet, are rather extensive.
With that, I will retain hope that in the fall of 2009, with the hard work of Sanderson, Harriet and Jordan, we will get the epic conclusion to the Wheel of Time we can't wait to read.

The other little thing I wanted to mention this morning, was to give you an update on the Richard figurines: They're currently in production, and will be shipping out in January.

I haven't read anything by Sanderson, but I'm glad the story will be completed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:21 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Me too. Even though it dragged on much too long, not having an ending at all would really suck.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:35 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Yeah, if I were new to the series I certainly wouldn't start. I'd spoil the first bunch and read the last chunk. This is good news though. So sad when authors die and their work isn't finished. Sometimes it's not even found until a good while afterwards.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:37 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I started reading this series right as The Great Hunt came out. I knew nothing about the series or Robert Jordan at all, but I decided to pick it up on a whim one day after reading the back of the book (and seeing that it had a map.. I loved maps in my fantasy books). The Great Hunt came out probably 2 days before I finished the first book so it worked out perfectly for me. I bought it (it was a big softcover book), read it, then had to wait a year for The Dragon Reborn to come out. To think that we are here, like 16 years later, and I am still waiting to finish the series, is a bit insane. All the same, I can't wait to finish it. Although the books did get a bit long-winded, I have read the series around 15 times (I re-read it before the next book comes out), and it remains one of my favorites. It's good to see that someone will be finishing what was started so many years ago. "The Wheel of Time turns," indeed...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:42 AM 
Everquest Rocks!
Everquest Rocks!

Its funny, after learning that Robert Jordan died and that Dragonmount.com was promising there was a list of who was going to complete the series I thought back. I honestly didn't think the whole thing could be wrapped up in only one more book, at least not the way it was going.

I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a okay here's where we were, here's 'The Last Battle', the end. I was really concerned about that with the final Harry Potter book but she rounded it out nicely so maybe it will be okay.

Adam

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:20 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
Wheel of Time series orginally wanted to call it

The Neverending Story

but that was taken, so they were sad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:38 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
ha ha?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:44 PM 
Bridge Dweller

::Price is Right wrong music::

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:19 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I read "Elantris". It was pretty interesting. I'd bet he does a decent job on WoT12.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:15 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

if you guys watched anime you could deal with weird / no endings.

edit: nice to hear about closure though in this regard.

I use the wiki to refresh my memory.

Offline Profile