It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:51 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:52 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

He's the Robert Jordan of film.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:00 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
Most of you guys know that I cannot stand Michael Bay either. But the thing with Bay is... for all of his poor plot structure, his horrible dialogue, and terrible story telling... his movies make money. A LOT of money. And as crappy of a "movie" as the majority of his are, I can definitely understand that he is making major bank for whichever studio releases his films... so I cannot fault Hollywood that much for continuing to give Bay work.

But Shyamalan? Or however you spell his name? His movies are not grossing 100+ million. In fact, I will search after this post, but I will bet that none of his last three movies (Village, Lady in Water, Happening) grossed over 40 million in the US. The guy is literally losing money for whichever studio puts out his film. And I read somewhere that Airbender might cost the studio 150 million dollars!?!?! And this is after gate receipts and ticket sales???

At what point does a studio look at recent history and say- You know what? You were a one hit wonder. We all loved Sixth Sense. But you no longer have "it" anymore. You are expelled from making movies in Hollywood.

When does this happen? Because I cannot fathom how a studio can look at Airbender (and the previous 3-4 films) and want to have him make a film for them. At whatever cost there is.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:08 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
Well I cannot edit. And looks like I was wrong...

From boxofficemojo.com comes the following approximates of his last three films-

The Village- 114 million domestic
Lady in the Water- 42 million domestic
The Happening- 64 million domestic

BTW the website is pretty darn cool... was doing some searching. As most movie watchers know, the first weekend of 99% of movies is the highest grossing weekend for that movie. After that it tapers off big time, and eventually after 1-4 months it is no longer in theatres for the most part. The above three films (as an example) all grossed between 40-45% of their receipts in their opening weekend.

Titanic, in comparison, has a domestic gross of 600 million. Of that total, only 4.8% of that amount was done in its first weekend!!! And even that weekend it was still the #1 movie in America, making almost 29 million. I find that completely and utterly stunning to see such a low percentage of gross sales in an opening weekend...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:03 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I'm glad I skipped out on Airbender then. I knew it was Shymafuckall but it was tempting. Probably because I just netflixed the whole airbender series and was entertained.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:52 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Thanks to snow, I had four days of off and on power, but no cable or internet. I was forced to dig into my bad movie stash:

"Moon of the Wolf" (1972) - This has TV movie of the week written all over it. David Jansen (the fugitive) stars as a sheriff in a bayou town. Its a "try and figure out who the werewolf is" game, that's actually not bad till the end.

"The Incredible Petrified World" (1957)- Four folks in a damaged diving bell, scuba into a giant cave. Boredom ensues. One of the women is attractive and that's really only the nice thing I can say about it. A 50's monster film with no monster.

"Mesa of Lost Women" (1953) - Ed Wood quality but it's not Ed Wood. A mad scientist crosses hot chicks and tarantulas. Spider women and a giant spider puppet are the results. Hilarity ensues.

"Queen of the Amazons" (1947) - Yes it's one of those films. A white women gets to rule over the ignorant savages in darkest africa. Or something. She's supposed to be a bad ass but shrieks and falls apart when there's actual danger. A man has to save her from all this.

"The Lost Jungle" (1934) - a standard jungle action flick. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my. How did this end up in a "Scifi" film collection?

"She Gods of Shark Reef" (1958) - a great title, but its all downhill from there. Some nice hawaiian scenery and the girls are nice. The sharks are tiny and laughable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:46 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

"Knight and Day" its a far better version of "Killers", and it's still not any good. Nice action scenes/ stunt work/ scenery at least.

"Curse of the Swamp Creature" - a bad film, and I know bad films. Really, really terrible.

"The Ox Box Incident" - Awesome. To some extent it's "38 Angry Men". Go Henry Fonda.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:41 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Bzalthek wrote:
I'm glad I skipped out on Airbender then. I knew it was Shymafuckall but it was tempting. Probably because I just netflixed the whole airbender series and was entertained.

I liked it but I am glad I didn't spend the money to see it in a Theatre, definitely a renter. Wonder if it will ever come out with the second part.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:12 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Oh "Legion" why are you so terrible?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11