It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:28 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:57 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
randy wrote:
a scanner darkly, though the way its done makes it almost impossible to follow

yeah that's it, and I agree. I also didn't like the animation medium at all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:24 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
also i thought paycheck was awesome even though it had a motorcycle driving into an empty concrete pipe and exploding!

i showed it to my dad who usually likes john woo movies and he was like wait i don't get it

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:43 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

"Elizabeth" - well that was...long. Also pretty much what I expected. Guess Ill have to see the second one now at some point.

"30 Days of Night" - its awesome and I wont hear otherwise.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:50 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
I shit all over Aliens vs Predator 2 when I saw the initial teaser.

I watched it last night and shit my pants with joy.

The actual movie makes up for the abortion that was 1, and then some. They really went all out for the holy shit factor. The entire maternity ward scenes were way way way over the top. Didn't see that shit coming at all. I kind of had a feeling it was going to get messy when kill #2 was a 10 year old kid getting chestbusted. No shortage of meatbags to pop either. There was blood guts and ass everywhere.

No happy endings. Everybody gets their shit fucked up. As it should be.

I am most pleased, even tho the movie was almost a carbon copy of anything Resident Evil. I'm hesitent to put it on the level of Aliens, but it definently comes in right behind that, and the two origional predator movies.

Oh and the "Get to the chopper" line was perfectly delivered. Didn't even expect it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:10 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

"The Kingdom" - a near miss. A bit too Jingoistic for me. All the Saudis really need are four American FBI agents to come and solve everything.

"I know who killed me" - Wow that was in fact terrible. Lindsay Lohan stars as identical twin psychic bionic stripper amputees. Or something. What a mess.

"Doomsday" - Great fun. Its more Grindhouse than "Grindhouse".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:31 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Some unexpected reviews to say the least, I couldn't find much to like about 30 Days of Nights and AVP2 was just plain awful.

Franchises as cherished as both Aliens and Predator are, that is if nothing else, reasonably serious, should not be brought to the level that was AVP2.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:58 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

30 days of night...just watched it.

It follows a highly predictable and too often used horror plotline. Including That One Guy Who Is Going To Get Everyone Killed. The only thing even remotely cool about it was the fact that the women aren't complete victims.

I had a cooler idea for an ending. James Woods pulls up in a van with a priest.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:24 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

i watched glengarry glen ross for the first time in like a decade yesterday. boy that is a movie with a lot of people yelling

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:24 AM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Golliwog
WoW: Rileigh
Saw the other Boleyn Girl and Semi-Pro recently.

Other Boleyn girl was basically like skimming through the book in fast forward mode. Lots of missing stuff, a few minor details changed. I don't think they did Anne justice in her pursuit of the King. That what made her, her. Her singlemindedness and complete dedication towards obtaining that goal, the constant pressure she was under to perform. The movie skipped over that portion almost entirely. That being said, the acting was well done, scenes etc all very detailed and realistic. If you enjoyed Elizabeth you'll like it, prolly more so if you haven't read the book.

Semi-Pro was of course pretty funny as per anything that Will Farrell does. I don't think it was his best, and in fact would even say it was one of the worst movies he's done. That being said, it's still absolutely hilarious and worth the money to see, especially if you happen to enjoy basketball. Farrell at his worst is better then most at their best. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:38 AM 

EQ1: Golliwog
WoW: Rileigh
Oh and mr magorium's wonder emporium.

Amazing movie! You'd think it was a kids type movie, but I loved it (no I don't have kids). Dustin Hoffman did an amazing job as Mr Magorium, very different role for him and really showed what a diverse actor he can be. Portman was great and played her role to a tee, and it really got across the wonder of seeing some of the things in the store such as the ball room.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:46 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

"Daywatch" - uh what just happened? I much prefer the first one, this one is just way too incomprehensible. At least its cool looking but I'm glad there was no test afterwards

"The Marine" - I didn't know movies like this still existed. Action movies starring wrestlers are a particular kind of stupid.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:45 AM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

EQ1: Daas
WoW: Vuloth
EQ2: Daas
Watched I am Legend the other night on dvd. Interestingly enough I have a picture on my cell phone that I took in NYC back in 2006 that turned out to be a scene in the movie.

As for the movie, I'm torn. I want to like it, but there's so many issues that just ruin more of the movie the more I think about it.

1. Why is Will Smith the guy who feels he's to blame, when the english actress in the flashback tv interview is the one that "created" the virus?

2. I enjoyed the interspersed flashbacks versus 20 minutes of past then a 3 years later fade to the rest of the movie ... however ... give me 5 minutes of the panic in NYC with the armed forces losing a war of atrition ... 5 minutes of Will Smith deciding he needs to create and stock a safehouse.

3. You have countless automatic firearms presumably scored from the military supplies ... you emptied a clip into a mannikin, next time try the same tactic on the herd of 30 deer you're chasing in your cobra. Deer taste better.

4. Traps the infected chick, capt badass watches him, bellows in rage while sizzling in sunlight and Will notes that all human behavior is gone (pack mentality is certainly not restricted to canines after all) ... the very next fucking day, Will is trapped in a similar fashion. Drags his bleeding self home and all is well.

5. Suicidal rage episode on the docks ... saved by the chick and again is brought home bleeding by someone from maryland to a specific address in the middle of NYC ... a NYC with a decent amount of roads blocked by barricades and/or spent cars.

6. Day of rest and Shrek ... night comes and OMFG THEY FOUND MEZ ... again all of NYC to try and find ONE townhouse ... but it gets better.

7. Colonel in the Army ... creates lighting and explosive traps based on defending the safehouse ... but can't figure out that aiming the blast away from the fucking house makes more sense?

8. Back to the trap ... three virus-ridden dogs are chomping at the bit waiting for the slash of sunlight through shadow to fade so they can attack ... what happened to the rage-filled uber-zombies ... even if they wouldn't jump the line to attack, the scene would have had that much more intensity with 30-100 crazies waiting with the dogs

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:05 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Here's the answers to your questions as near as I can figure it.
1. I believe his character is part of USAMRID, but they never get into it because that would be rather lengthy to explain, but it's the only thing that makes sense for his character. That area was his zone. However the disease caused hemmoragic fever (as described briefly in the movie).

There is only one real solution to any hemmoragic fever with an Ebola Zaire death rate, which this had (90% mortality). Immediate, severe, 100% quarantine. That's what kept the disease in check in Africa before clinics. And that's what causes Ebola to burn out now, once everyone at the bush hospitals have died or fled, the disease 'burns out'. It kills people too quickly.

That's why the bridge is blown out. Obviously didn't work, as people were fleeing anyway, and enough got out.

For more interesting reading in this area check out: Hot Zone, and The Coming Plague.

2. Agreed, but that's all predictable. The book focuses heavily on the psychology of Robert Neville, who in the book is not a solider nor a doctor, merely a random surviver. The book also goes WAAAY out of it's way describing vampirism as a disease, and gives you tons of flashbacks on the break down of society and what the 'plague' was like. It's pretty much a direct rip off of accounts of the worst Black Plague in europe as written by survivors (accounts I've read so I recognize them being redone, including an account of a man who lost his entire family in a day, brought them to the death pits and felt himself going mad...wondering if this was the end of the world, what was the point, where was god, etc.). Utter horror so stark and terrible that it beggers the imagination frankly.

Still, I loves me some Will Smith kicking ass, ala Independance Day.

3. Especially since he's a solider and I would presume have training. My husband has never been hunting, but given all his training I'm pretty fucking sure he could take out a deer. Then again given the LAPD shooting 200 rounds at people and hitting them only 1x or 2xs...maybe not? Let's assume he just sucks at that, what about herding them into a trap?

I felt it was designed to show that he didn't want to kill them, not really. He had enough food, and the thought of taking life was repugnant to him. He had to try, but his heart wasn't really in it.

4. There was an alternative ending where he realizes he was wrong, and they have retained intelligence and humanity. Some of them.

READ THE BOOK, this is a direct reference to the book, which is worse in a lot of ways (was written in '72 I think) but the ending is MUCH better.

5. Yes, I thought that was complete bullshit. You see one street blocked off, did he take three years personally clearing roads? C'mon, no way.

6. They saw where he went (why didn't they attack that night then?!) but also remember he dumps shit on the stairs whenever he comes home? He's clearing their scent. If you have no other humans to fuck up the scent, a dog could track 'em. And they're hungry! I didn't find that TOO implausible, just that they should have attacked the night before unless they got home JUST before dawn, in which case why the fuck is she wandering NYC at night, that's just retarded.

7. Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not a demonlistionist!

8. No shit. I was like, okay that guy releases his dogs on Smith...and that's it?! What the fuck. Oh but he returns home after dark and they don't find him then? What in the hell.

9. The original ending sucked. A lot. THERE'S ENOUGH ROOM. Nah, it's cool. I'm gonna stay out here. :violent1:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:42 PM 
Spider Slayer

I didn't think it was pack mentality that lead him to attack, it seemed the leader was mad that his daughter was taken and wanted her body back, retaining some bit of humanity.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:04 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Apparently that's in the alternative ending. Which wasn't on my DVD, so I had to read a synopsis of it online. >=(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:48 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
Oh, just a heads up, it seems like they are marketing "Run Fat Boy Run" as a great comedy. It is not. It is a very tired romantic comedy and the preview shows you all the funny moments of the movie.

You will feel as though you have seen "Fat Boy" before when you watch it.... it's because you have; over and over again. It is a mashup of every Romantic Comedy of the last 10-15 years.

Not really even worth the download to tell you the truth. Another movie I was glad I didn't pay to see. (still a little pissed that I wasted my time though)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:29 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Hacking Democracy - A documentary about election fraud, especially in Diebold election machines. As an election judge this should've been fascinating but ultimately it's just too long and depressing. :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:56 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Tarot and I share the same tastes in Asian films =)

If you haven't seen them (although judging from your list you probably have), I would also recommend To Live, Shanghai Triad, and Red Sorghum.

Outside of that particular style and genre, one of my absolute favorite films, Asian or otherwise, is Eat Drink Man Woman. I definitely recommend that to anyone who hasn't seen it.

I would also recommend The Wedding Banquet, which deals with the prototypical difficulty of being Asian and having to deal with situations such as 1) being a man, 2) being gay, 3) dating a non-Asian, 4) trying to meet your parent's expectations, but set as a comedy. So many funny moments in here for anyone who has ever been to a traditional Chinese wedding.

Another good movie is Tampopo, but it will make you hungry for ramen =).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:59 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Quote:
Ghost Rider was fucking retarded. I don't get how Cage can be so good in some shit and painfully bad in other stuff. Mendes should not be allowed on film.

/agreed

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:04 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Was craving a bit of "creepy", so I got my hands on the following movies:

P2: This actually wasn't bad once you accept the fact that a movie built on this premise can only go to so many places IF it is going to stay within the rules it sets. I have to say, though....I was highly distracted by the fact that they picked a Jodie Foster look-alike that was obviously not Jodie Foster. I am not saying she was better/worse than JF, it was just really clear as the movie went on, that someone somewhere was saying "I see JF in this role".

Diary of the Dead: Zombie flicks have never been truly big on my list of things I like, because they are the easiest to do and the easiest to do badly. This really wasn't an exception for me. It failed in ways Cloverfield didn't on the cam thing. And really, just once, I'd like for the people in a zombie movie to ACKNOWLEDGE that they know what zombies are. It happens in vampire/werewolf flicks...once the characters get past the disbelief part, they know exactly how to deal with the creature. Zombie flicks? They always have to "rediscover" zombies as a concept. It annoys me. A friend has pointed out to me that he believes Romero's flicks are all basically telling the same story, just from different perspectives on the same event. So that would account for the "learning about zombies" thing in his universe, I guess.

The Orphanage: Loved it. Just the right balance of suspense, reality, creep, and mystery. Someone before me remarked that they liked the way that the house itself almost becomes a character unto itself due to the way it is filmed and I have to say I agree. I give this "gothic peter pan" story a big thumbs up. If you've been avoiding it because you don't like horror? Go. There's nothing remotely horror about it.

Anamorph: I read the description of this and thought it would be a Seven clone, but it had DaFoe in it, so I figured what the hell. Sadly, it didn't rise to the levels it should have. There was a lot of possibility in the base structure of the "it depends on where you choose to stand", but somehow I think the project got drug down by their need to obscure certain things to keep the questions about "Uncle Eddie" firmly where they wanted them. Conceptually, it could have been a great film. Sadly, it didn't quite make it and mostly annoyed me before it was over. I'd be curious to read other people's take on who "Uncle Eddie" actually was.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:42 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Anyone see Harold and Kumar 2? It as good as the first? (Assuming you enjoyed the first).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:10 AM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

EQ1: Daas
WoW: Vuloth
EQ2: Daas
Two movies with shitty endings ...

"Cloverfield"

Points for the idea of an American Godzilla
Points for the camera-work even though BWP did it first.
Ending was utter crap. If you watch the special features there is an interesting interview with the creator of the creature ... I had to wonder if he was talking about the same movie I'd just watched.

"That the creature was an infant, scared and looking for it's mother made it easy to show it's level of distress"

What? Infant? Mother? Distress?

No, the rocket launchers and FA-18s overhead accounted for the distress imo. Where is the viewer supposed to get the knowledge that the creature is a baby? I'd say they left out some tape in the copy I rented but it was a dvd ffs.

"No Country for Old Men"

Great movie up until the very end ... felt to me like they were running out of tape and had to end it quick. In both movies mentioned here, I had a definite "Are you kidding me?" feeling at the end. The time invested in the cat and mouse movie and then that ending ... I'm glad I rented both films.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:58 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Quote:
Anyone see Harold and Kumar 2? It as good as the first? (Assuming you enjoyed the first).

I haven't seen it, but here's a clip of their trip to a whore house with NPH and them attending a bottomless party (NSFW):

http://rapidshare.com/files/112627496/h ... r.avi.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:35 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I just watched "Eat Drink Man Woman" for the first time, and I loved it. I really want to find "The Wedding Banquet" now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:25 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Forbidden Kingdom: Cute, shallow, predictable, but still fun. As expected, the best part was watching Jackie Chan and Jet Li fight.

Indy 4: Abysmal. Over the top, incredibly forced, overly predictable, and took itself WAY too seriously. In terms of "how bad was it", I am tempted to put it even with Temple of Doom, or just slightly behind it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:03 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

In Bruges is really good

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:02 AM 
I schooled the old school.

I finally saw Sweeney Todd yesterday. Stupid of me to leave it so long-- I thought it was excellent!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:18 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

I have Sweeny Todd on DVD and still haven't found time to watch it, maybe tonight.

I saw Indiana Jones and the Mediocre Movie. I think it ties with Temple of Doom. Don't go in expecting much and you'll probably have fun. I had fun while watching the movie, and then later picked it to pieces. (There's tons of stupid shit, as well as a few 'didn't anyone read the script and realize this makes NO sense?!' stuff).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:30 PM 
Bridge Dweller

watched 21 last night, it was pretty damn good imo

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:17 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Bearne, get Netflix!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:13 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I've been going back and forth on Netflix for a while now. The mailslots in my building are rather small, and I've had packages disappear, so anything bulkier than a magazine I have sent to work.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:32 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Netflix totally changed my family's viewing habits. That and DVR have done a lot to get us to watch some TV and a lot more movies. Plus, it's the best place to get blu-ray.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:24 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

i'm probably going to cancel my netflix membership, just because the only things i get are TV series, and really any other movies i'm interested in i just buy...

plus the only series you really need is the west wing and unless you have literally nothing else in the world to do, it'll take you months to get through the whole thing

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:11 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
lol netflix is good. I always felt like I wasn't getting my moneys worth if I didn't watch everything right away send it back.

The last series we watched was Dexter S1 and S2. Watching a series in a weekend is really the only way to go =P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:56 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Deja Vu - I knew going in that I probably wasn't going to enjoy this movie. Time travel is so rarely done well and simply seen as an excuse to let writers cheat. That being said, I thought they did a pretty good job of playing by the rules they established for themselves (with the exception of the red pointer light scene), and when taken for what it was, it was an "ok" movie. Nothing earth shattering and no really stand out performances. Val Kilmer got chunky.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:52 AM 
What? Another Expansion?!
What? Another Expansion?!

Doomsday:

Well I was a little intoxicated when I watched this, so some aspects of it are hazy.

That said I was really impressed. In the first 20 minutes of the film for the first time ever, I considered leaving the cinema due to the level of violence. It’s fucking brutal, making Sin City look like a U certificate.

This film is stupid, has plot holes all over it, requires you to suspend your disbelief countless times and yet is the most fun I’ve had watching something in years.

I wish I had the critique ability to do this film justice, I can’t but I will say give it a chance and watch with an open mind.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:27 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Jumper - Umm no. That could've good maybe been good but its just too dumb. Hayden's character is just really unlikeable and Racheal Bilson plays the dumbest girl ever.

I Think I Love my Wife - Enjoyed it until the end, then it all falls apart. Gina Torres character is just really unlikeable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:09 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - Well it looks neat but there's still the problem with Narnia that I just don't like any of the kid actors and well its just too darn English. Lewis and Tolkien are both obsessed with giant birds, walking trees and river spirit floods wiping out bad guys. And all the bad guys are Spanish for some reason.

Rocky Balboa - Completely absurd but it works somehow. Maybe Stallone will resurrect the Cobra franchise next. Oh wait.

Invasion of the Star Creatures - Amazingly there's still 50s/60s scifi I haven't seen. Its not like they're making any more. Anyway a Z budget scifi comedy. Oh the wacky shenanigans. I just kept thinking about how hard it must be to see out of the monster costumes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:41 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Rocky Balboa is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I place it right "up" there with Miami Vice.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:33 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Happening - Hated the ending, was so dissapointed that there was no novel twist at the end.

Get Smart - Fun overall predictable movie, a lot of funny parts that were not in commerical clips.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:23 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Get Smart: eh. Not much else I can say. Just "eh".

Kung Fu Panda: sheer awesomeness. I went to it thinking I'd "sorta" like it (Jack Black is hit or miss with me) and really enjoyed it overall. And remember kids, there's no charge for awesomeness OR attractiveness.

The Ruins: blah. There wasn't anything genuinely original to it, and quite frankly, the movie could have been over in the first 10 minutes if...(spoiler)

Why in the fuck didn't the Mayans just shoot them at the start? They were obviously willing to kill to prevent the plant from spreading, they shot the greek and their own kid. So why not just shoot them all and be done with it rather than sit at the foot of the temple for days and RISK it getting out the way it did? It makes no sense and was a glaring "because then we wouldn't have a movie" issue. They should have attempted to make it more "it must be contained AND fed" and that would have addressed the issue more.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:46 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
IIRC the book explains why the Mayans don't just kill them, and it's actually a good read.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:51 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:00 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Billy Elliot: I somehow missed this one. It was ok. I think it got a bit overhyped to me over the years. The bits of it that were heavily contrived were forgivable in the general spirit of a "be true to yourself" theme in my book. I thought his tap dance through town was well done as he literally danced right into a wall.

One Missed Call (original version): Cheesy horror at its finest. Asian horror markets have really tapped into what American markets have been missing for some time. They don't even begin to remotely apologize (or overexplain) the unreal aspects of their story. They just embrace it and go. I was amused. Not really spooky for me, like Ju-on was. But fun just the same. Another "viral" ghost story.

Shutter (US remake): Not a bad retelling. It is a solid ghost story from begining to end. The actors don't really add or detract from it all that much, so it will never be a "good" movie. There's was really only one "creepy" moment to me, towards the end, and the plot is easily read early on, but I don't feel like I wasted my 2 hours. Wish I could get my hands on the original. Still digging.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:29 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Wanted: I thought it was a pretty solid action movie. The beginning was absolutely hilarious. Based on the fact I didn't check my watch once throughout , I'd recommend it.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:15 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

I liked Wanted as well, I went in expecting some things to be completely outlandish, I wasnt wrong, but the way they were implemented was pretty badass, which made up for the fact that it was pretty unbelievable...I really enjoyed it and I want to watch the keyboard/office/friend scene over and over hahaha...I work in a cubicle and my boss's name is Janice...the resemblance is amazing. I'd see it again, and considering ticket prices made it to 10 fucking dollars now, thats saying something.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:25 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

yeah wanted was kinda cool, saw the dude on the daily show and he's scottish as hell, so it's strange the way he pulled off the american accent

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:41 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Americans don't have accents. Everyone else does...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:45 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

"Funny Games" Okay that was a blast. I was really unsure of it till I got it. Then it was hysterical. It may be the blackest comedy ever filmed. I want to buy the director a beer and tell him all is forgiven.

"Silent Hill" - Didn't know anything about it going in, having never played the game. It has some amazing disturbing visuals. But not much else.

"Dan in real life" cute enough romantic comedy. Not very plausible but that's par for the course. Steve Carell cringes well and they clearly call Dane Cook when Ryan Reynolds is busy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:26 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
Americans don't have accents. Everyone else does...

(random aside)
That has to be the oddest part about living in the UK. The number of times in the last 6 months I've been on the receiving end of "Can you talk a bit slower, your accent is very thick" has been amusing.
(/random aside)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:13 PM 

Wanted was a decent action flick up until SLJ uttered the words "Loom of Fate" and then the whole movie went to shit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:24 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

You mean Morgan Freeman?

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:36 PM 

Ooops yea that other black guy...

I kept thinking all through the movie that the role seemed much more suited to Samuel.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:16 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Hancock: "eh". It felt like there were 2 or 3 different fingers in the pie on this one. Bateman really stole the show though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:27 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I saw Hancock and Wanted today. I'd definitely go see Wanted again. Hancock was good, not super. Most of the funny parts were in the previews, which kind of stole the thunder.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:10 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Wanted: much like Indy4, within the first 10 minutes, I knew I was wasting my time. There wasn't a whole lot redeemable in the movie. Unlike others, I was looking at my watch and wishing I'd spent the money on something else. Unfortunately, the boyfriend wanted to see it. :p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:14 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Agreed, "Wanted" it was "Eh" at best. They needed a way better name for the Fraternity then the Fraternity. And what happens when the Loom of Fate! says John Smith. Umm which one? Can you be more specific?!

"10,000 BC" - well that was pretty and dumb, just as I expected. They should've just made it straight up fantasy and I would've liked it better. Mammoths helping to build pyramids in 10000 BC? O Rly?!

"Wristcutters: A love story" - A strange and wonderful film.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:02 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Just saw Juno and Into the Wild

Juno was pretty good. Wife and I both laughed a good bit. The whole teen/yuppie sexual tension wasnt necessary, but overall worth a rental.

Into the Wild was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I hated knowing what was going to happen, though. Sean Penn did an outstanding job with this one. I highly suggest it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:46 PM 

Quote:
The whole teen/yuppie sexual tension wasnt necessary, but overall worth a rental.

I'm curious about that statement. It's been a few months since I saw it, but wasn't that teen / yuppie sexual tension a central point of the plot (and the catalyst for Juno to grow as a character) for the last two thirds of the movie? If I remember right, without the sexual tension leading to the climax, half the movie would be missing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:22 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Ne le dis a personne (Tell No One): French suspense film, kinda film noir without the washed out backgrounds. A little predictable but a good story. Check it out if your local independent is running it.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next