It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 5:49 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:15 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Randy - my thoughts almost exact. It was a beautiful movie and had some nice parts, but was just painful. An hour into it I knew I was in trouble.

Gone Baby Gone
It felt like "Good Will Hunting" as a kidnap mystery. It is a great thriller with a slightly different angle alongside fantastic dialogue and characters. By the end, it got a little too cute for me. Also, this is a movie that was the perfect length. Right when I was ready for it to wrap up - it did.

But, I did enjoy the moral questions raised and the fact that he obviously regretted his decision.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:24 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
yeah gone is a real good movie because it changes so unexpectedly

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:49 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
Seven Pounds: Watchable, but tries too hard. If you are smarter than the average bear, you probably will either roll your eyes a few times or at least make jerk-off motions at the movie (as both me and my wife did while watching it).

Honestly thought, as shitty as most movies are, this one isn't that bad. I wouldn't really recommend it, but I wouldn't call it a pile of shit either.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:35 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Rep! The Genetic Opera: I had a lot of hope for this one. I should have known better I guess. One song/moment in the show actually was *perfect*. The rest was just kinda painful. I was surprised to find out I didn't mind Paris Hilton in her role.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:26 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Man on Wire is excellent. It's a documentary about the French guy who tight roped walked between the WTC towers in 1974.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:24 AM 
Bridge Dweller

i thought man on wire was utterly retarded

i mean really who cares about that guy? its not art

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:41 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

3:10 to Yuma

Good film, just the right length. Fairly tight. Russel Crowe is made out to be a bit more of a bad ass than I can handle, but overall very enjoyable movie.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:20 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

The new release rack at blockbuster is barren... the results of a recent foray:

Eagle Eye

The most notable thing about this movie is that it could possibly be made into a passable drinking game. Plot holes you can drive buses through. The suspension of disbelief required is phenomenal.

My best friend's girl.

Dane cook, Jason Biggs... pretty much what you'd expect from a movie with these two. It has its moments and if you're just looking for a way to kill a couple of hours, it's about as good as any Dane Cook movie. Would have been better if Kate Hudsen was hot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:53 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Zatronn1 wrote:
Would have been better if Kate Hudsen stopped starring exclusively in terrible movies since almost famous.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:38 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Nah, I stand by "if she was hot." I expected a terrible movie going in to it. I'm pretty sure no one planned on cinematic brilliance in any way being associated with this movie. That's pretty much par for the course with dick and fart joke movies. You expect certain things from them. One of those things is a hot female lead.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:17 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Max Payne was pretty terrible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:04 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

you know there was a while there when they didn't make video game movies, and it was great

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:27 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

It has been many years since I have played Max Payne. Really, the only thing I remember about the game was the slow motion bullet time stuff. The movie had a few slow motion sequences (showing bullets being fired out of guns) that were pretty cool, but they felt out of place. The slow motion stuff just "fit" in The Matrix. In this movie, it seems like they thought "we need to add slow mo!" and just put it in a few random places.

Here's the movie in a nutshell: "
Max Payne's wife and kid got murdered several years before the movie starts
Max takes a Russian chick home with him and she gets murdered
The murders are related
The government (or some privately-funded corporation) tried to make "Super Soldiers" and the plan backfired
People see birds if they are on this "Super Soldier" drug, then they go crazy, then they die (or get killed)
The chick from That 70s Show has a Russian accent every once in a while
Beau Bridges plays a bad guy because if it's a movie with a Bridges brother other than The Fabulous Baker Boys or The Big Lebowski, he has to be a bad guy (and you could argue that one was a "bad guy" in the Baker Boys as well)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:35 PM 
I schooled the old school.

Quote:
Mirrormask Gaiman's take on Alice in Wonderland/ Labyrinth. Strong fun visuals but that's about it. <Pedobear> The girl is cute </Pedobear>

While the movie is portraying a 15 year old girl, I believe that actually actress is 18+. No pedobear tags necessary!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:18 AM 
What? Another Expansion?!

EQ1: Tyral
WoW: Tyrak
The Wrestler: Great movie. Certainly not a "feel good" story and can be difficult to watch, but nonetheless very moving.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:10 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

American Ruling Class: A feel-good romantic romp. Not really. Somewhat entertaining faux-docu- shit I dunno what you would call it. It is probably what you think it is. Some of the points they make are good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455906/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:07 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Pirates 3: At World's End

On one hand, I want to say "visually spectacular, but a bit slow." In reality, it wasn't all that visually spectacular. There really is nothing new in this that was not in part 2. Davy Jones was great to behold... the first time.

There is very little humor in this movie. Also, it is very complex, but not in a good way. There is a fairly complicated subplot where all the pirates are being murdered so they call a convention, but they have to get Jack Sparrow back because he has a secret Pieces of Eight and those can be used to free the goddess who is also Davy Jones' secret lover... whatever.

My problem isn't that I didn't "get it". My problem is that although I got it, it didn't go anywhere. About halfway through, I was semi-fatigued trying to figure everything out.

I also hated how Davy Jones was a total bitch the whole movie.

And, I didn't particularly like how it ended. I hear they're making part 4 since this one somewhat ended on a cliffhanger note.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:13 PM 
I am a Spaceman

I'm pretty sure they're making a fourth movie because it will make them millions of dollars.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:06 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

yeah i don't really think the story matters much as long as johnny depp can be funny for three of the two hundred minutes in the movie (like he did for the first three!)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:58 AM 

I didn't like Pirates 3 either.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:46 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

It is pretty terrible. It was an odd choice to stop the big dumb summer movie and insert an art film (Jack in the dimension of death).

Inkheart Better than expected. I knew almost nothing about it going in. Good fantasy fun.

I wasn't expected so much Wizard of Oz action. The GF says it's very different from the book.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:47 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Pride and Glory was pretty boring.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:56 AM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

Transporter 3 was the worst movie I've seen. Avoid at all costs.

Finally saw Napoleon Dynamite, awesome!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:25 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Watched Vicky Cristina Barcelona again last night (it's on DVD now), and I have to say that I like what Woody Allen is doing as of Match Point. It's a nice fantasy about inexplicably rich people doing rich people things, like taking a summer in Spain with no particular objective and having a wild idyllic time before returning to reality. And it's nice that despite being cast in terrible roles and playing them terribly 23 of every 24 months, Scarlett Johansson can do a Woody Allen part so well that you can't imagine anyone else in the role.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:42 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I am guessing most of you have seen it. I watched it in a theater, but invited a buddy over to watch it on Blu Ray. I enjoyed it the second time around almost as much the first. The visuals are fantastic and the lines are splendidly corny.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:11 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Mirrors

Picked this up at blockbuster on the recommendation of one of the counter people there. I had passed it by, walking through the new releases. It's hard to do much that's new in horror movies anymore, seems like, but this movie takes a lot of good classic elements and kind of puts them together in a pretty cool way. I enjoyed it a lot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:31 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I watched Mirrors the other day and omfg stupid. Big disappointment.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:58 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Underworld 3 - Really enjoyed it. Although its not to be confused with good. I mean cmon it's got a Rhona Mitra and a huge pack of werewolves attacking a castle. Who doesn't love that?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:03 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I dunno, Rhona Mitra is a wannabe in my opinion. She was pretty awful in Doomsday. She was good in Hollow Man, though!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:26 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Rescue Dawn Surprisingly straight forward Vietnam POW film. It's directed by Werner Herzog who isn't known for being straight forward. Stars Christian Bale as the downed bomber pilot. Insert joke about him yelling at people on the set here.

Push Well its better then "Jumper" (I don't even know her). Mostly it could've been shorter. Attractive people with powers essentially play 'Rock paper scissors'.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:51 AM 

WoW: Tyrak
Taken Surprisingly good. A few scenes that set it apart from your standard action fare, and the movie was extraordinarily fast-paced.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:55 AM 
Spider Slayer

I think I would've enjoyed Taken more if not for the hag and her fat cronies behind me adding their commentary track to the movie. Every time a bad guy got taken out. "Ya!" "Woo!" "Get him!"

Dead whore lying on a bed? "*GASP* She's dead!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:14 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

I think you may have missed that the dead whore in question was the daughter's friend.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:25 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Somebody go see The International and tell me if it is any good or better when it was called Shoot Em Up. Because that one was pretty funny and watchable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:07 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

I doubt its as cartoony and over the top as "Shoot em up" was. This looks like more a conventional thriller. "Shoot em up" was John Woo meets Warner Brothers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:56 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
My Name is Bruce: Bruce Campbell doing what he does best. Campy, horrifically bad b-horror while mocking himself AND his movies. Still, it ultimately missed the mark for me. Not really worth the few in-joke chuckles when all is said and done.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:53 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Taken: Just like every other action movie ever made.

I was explaining to my wife that although we have seen ever generic action movie and romantic comedy 500 times, this is somebodies first action movie, and that's why they keep making the same movie over and over.

A 16 year old doesn't give a shit about Death Wish or Die Hard, they want to see the action formula in a new movie that has new slick marketing that they can buzz about.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:13 AM 
Spider Slayer

Tyral the Kithless wrote:
I think you may have missed that the dead whore in question was the daughter's friend.

I noticed, I used the word to be ambiguous, then went back and added spoiler tags just in case. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:40 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Bruce Campbell is one of the worst actors on the face of this planet. It's so annoying that he's popular for being "so bad it's good."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:57 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

There's a whole market for that though! I give the guy credit for finding his niche. (Plus, he makes me laugh in Burn Notice, which is a really dumb show, but fun to watch anyway.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:44 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

xskycrasherx wrote:
Bruce Campbell is one of the worst actors on the face of this planet. It's so annoying that he's popular for being "so bad it's good."

Bruce Campbell is a generational icon. Dude has had some of the best movie lines ever written.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:39 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

not really

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:49 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
My problem isn't that I didn't "get it". My problem is that although I got it, it didn't go anywhere. About halfway through, I was semi-fatigued trying to figure everything out.

I just didn't like it because there were all-lll-llllll these plot lines flowing along, and you kept expecting it all to come to some huge, climactic end where everything finally comes to light and makes sense and then it was just suddenly over and nothing made any more sense than it did 90 minutes before.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:03 PM 

Friday the 13th gets two thumbs up from me. Awesome introduction, fun movie, and cool ending. I can't believe Michael Bay did this.... but he did and I liked it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:04 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Were there explosions?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:45 PM 

What was the tit quality like, seeing as that is the biggest judge on how good a Friday the 13th is.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:56 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Tit quality was superb. Including a gratuitous dead titty shot.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:35 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

There Will Be Blood

A bit over-rated. Daneil Day Lewis is great and interesting. Too much of the movie drags. People have complained about how the last 30-40 minutes "gets weird", but I didn't think it was too awful.

Overall, OK, but I don't quite see where it got a Best Picture nomination.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:14 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:46 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
I love horror movies. I grew up on them, including all of the Friday the 13th movies. Granted the old ones are relatively cheesy... but still fun to watch and enjoy for 90 minutes.

I hate Michael Bay. No story, no dialogue, lots of special effects and explosions, no plot.

Given the above two statements, I went into the new Friday the 13th with low expectations, some fears that he would screw it up, and have an overall bad taste in my mouth. I will say that some of those fears were removed because I felt he did a good job with Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake.

I see the new Friday the 13th. I was/am extremely impressed with the remake. It was extremely violent, very bloody, had graphic sexual content (the naked women were very hot, and the boobs very large), and was surprised that it passed for a R rating instead of a NC-17. They did a fantastic job with the remake... so much so that my views of Bay have gone up considerably. Still not a fan when it comes to original thought/plot/character development... but he can make a very good horror remake for 2009.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:08 PM 

He can also make a good transformers movie.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:20 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

He can also make a good transformers 2 trailer.

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/tr ... er-trailer

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:15 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Transformers what a complete mess of confusing, boring crap.
What made the cartoon fun was that all the robots had personalities and unique features. Outside of Optimus and Bumble, I challenge anyone to differntiate between the 5-6 robots in the movie.

Hopefully part 2 isn't as painfully annoying.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:46 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
Michael Bay has always been great at making explosions, action scenes, special effects, etc. He is the ultimate summer popcorn movie- when you just want to relax and not have to think about a movie for 90 minutes... go see a Bay film.

But if you want to be involved, if you want to be intrigued, if you want to be motivated or inspired by thought provoking characters with dialogue and plot and development... well, he simply is not capable of that.

But yeah- I liked Transformers simply because I wanted a popcorn movie with special effects and action. And on that, it was good.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:49 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Big explosions and stuff are cool, that doesn't make it fun to watch.

I am not looking for Transformers to be deep and personal, but I would like to be able to tell the difference between Starscream, Megatron, Devastator, and whoever. That's why it sucked.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:50 AM 

Transformers sucked, and so will the second one.

Transformers The Movie had everything a movie should, including the most fucking awesome movie soundtrack of all time. It is the only real Transformers movie worth talking about.

G.I. Joe will suck in much the same fashion.

Leave the memories alone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:08 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

xskycrasherx wrote:

Bubba HoTep mother fucker!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:07 PM 
Bridge Dweller

terrible movie

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:49 PM 

bubba hotep was pretty bad, I'll agree.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:31 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Bruce Campbell is pretty amusing in that burn notice show. He is just one of those 'actors' who always happens to land roles where they just play themselves with different clothes and a new name. Most 'actors' get pigeon-holed that way. Real actors are few and far between.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next