All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:48 PM 
Can dish it but can't take it!

What do you hear?<
>
<
>
The other day I couldn't get "A Love Supreme" out of my head, which is an instrumental track, and it was all the more annoying because rather than "hearing" full instrumentation I just heard something similar to my own voice going "bum bum boo beem" over and over. So I started thinking about it, and then I tried to reproduce the "sounds" of some songs that I know very well. And I couldn't do it. If it was lyrical, it was some version of my own voice (much better than my real voice, but still me) singing, and if it was instrumental I'd just "hear" my own voice sort of humming out the melody.<
>
<
>
I listen to music a lot. I mean, when enter my apartment, I practically hit the stereo before I hit the light switch. So I feel like I'm pretty appreciative of the nuances of music; I can pick out separate instruments and so forth (which I find a fair number of people cannot). But I've never been very musically inclined - I've tried a few instruments and had a lot of fun, but I could never play worth a damn. So my question is, to you musicians, or anyone else I guess, what do you hear when you're "audializing" a song in your head? <i></i>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:34 PM 
Noob
Noob

I hear the instrumental in my head when i try to get a piece in my mind. For example for a love supreme i can pull at many of the motifs coltrane uses and sing them back. I could even hear the part you were talking about i think. the bass starts it off near the end of the first than coltrane comes in playing the same idea? Its the same with classical pieces i can hear them in my head and sing a lot of it back one part at a time if i study it hard enough. <i></i>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:07 AM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

I hear the song the way it's recorded and not how I'd try to reproduce it with my voice. At least until I actually start vocalizing it, in which case it's still the recorded version in my head only with my vocalizations in my ears.<
>
<
>
I dream in color also. <
>
"I am not a ranger, but I have played one on the internet."<i></i>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:50 AM 

Ditto Raethorn. Even the color dreaming. <i></i>

Offline Profile