It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:59 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:31 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
http://realmwar.warhammeronline.com/rea ... Search.war

(In case you didn't know this was available)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:03 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Two people have already used my handle. Oh well, I guess I won't be playing on those servers ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:08 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Jerks!!!!! J/k. I wonder how many people bought the game? W/ WoW you'd expect there to be tons of used names, but I am not sure how popular War is. Maybe like 200k sales?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:43 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Since the game actually just went for sale today abit early for sales figures but over a million were shipped so preorder numbers had to be relatively high.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:14 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Also, a lot of my PvP buddies are jumping ship to Warhammer. The game should have a good user base me thinks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:18 PM 
Bridge Dweller

I think it'll be a niche game, won't hit past 1 million subs in it's lifetime imho.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:32 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
thx info

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:45 PM 
Bridge Dweller

You're welcome!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:20 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
1 million isn't even a realistic point of consideration still today when they draw up the figures for mmorpgs. When EQ hit 500,000, that shit was unheard of, and it is just as much a milestone now as it was back then.

The usual high end target point for these projects are 150,000 to 200,000 subs. Most are very much lower. When they go to obtain the cash from lenders, they want to show that they have a product that can make them money, not show them they have the potential to make them a SHIT TON of money if the stars align with Neptune while the Virgin Mary takes a shit while standing on her head. Nobody "except Funcom" believes they are the next World of Warcraft. Blizzard bet the farm and won, and with the market becoming saturated as it is with mmorpgs, lightning odds are, will not strike twice.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:50 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't hit that many. It actually is somewhat of a niche game, just like DAOC was - it won't appeal to everyone. People who are obsessed with PVE and raid encounters will always have WoW to look to.

Frankly, the PVP has been a blast so far. The game being niche in no way makes it a bad game. People who wanted a little more meaning in WoW PVP than "Save up 100k honor purchase loots" will find a welcome (perhaps temporary for some) refuge in Warhammer.

Don't get me wrong, I still believe 1v1-5v5 fights in WoW are more skill-based(for now), but there's an additional level of epic in Warhammer when you're fighting on all sorts of terrain for towers, keeps, towns, and cities.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:48 AM 

I think Givin hit the nail on the head. Let's not give credit thought to MMO's that has/is/will make it to that 250k - 500k slot. That's very good imho.

I think what measures success in this market, especially right now, is maintaining through the 2-3 month period. If my memory serves me correctly, AoC was the fastest growing MMO by initial sales to date. However, it's probably going to end up with 25k subs or less. If an MMO sells 1 million copies that's great but, who puts their card in after the free month? Who doesn't cancel after the second? Also, WoW only has around 2.5 million NA subs, that's still a mind blowing amount but it's not 10 mill.

I'm praying for a competitive market. I hope WoW and WAR do and continue to do very well. I'm tired of the market getting saturated with so much crap because this will eventually hurt investors. However, if the consumer doesn't watch where they throw their money, everyone will just continue to make their 20 level crap, take their money, and leave you with a screwed up game.

I like WAR but i'm more of a niche player now. I'm a PvP player, loved EQ2 pvp when it first came to be, and don't care much for playing against AI. EQ PvE was so tough and unforgiving, death, camps, high risk/low reward, all played into my stubborn personality. Now, AI and PvE content is so easy and soft.

Cheering for WotLK and WAR here. I'll only play WAR but if it flops i'm done with MMO's. I'll play D3 and SC2. Probably get the next-gen console.

Muli