It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:53 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:54 AM 

I think to take full advantage of the Open Beta and Head Start, it would be great if we began posting insights that we how found to be helpful in WAR.

Anything from Newbie tips, settings, places to see, RvR, and just gameplay basics, share information that you found beneficial.

Take care,
Muli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:37 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

<<-- Complete noob here and I went on a RABID frenzy of creating a bunch of different characters. Just a word of advice, especially for anyone who played an hour like Skycrasher said: Play the game to level 4 and try the RVR scenarios!! The public quests are fun too, but I just did my first RVR scenario at level 4 today as my dorf engineer and it was epic. Best form of leveling ever.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:43 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
My first suggestion would be to avoid the crafting skills, and use the gathering as a way to make coin. They aren't worth the time in their current state.

I'd suggest doing the PQs while waiting on RvR queues. If you level up strictly in PvP you will soon find you have no idea where to go, and have to grind trivial quests to find out. The PvE part of the game guides you to the areas where you'll find more scenarios and world PvP.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:34 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Remember, you can jump in a Public Quest at any time. If you have a good group (or just alot of people so the Quest goes quickly) I suggest doing it at least 3 times in a row. This will increase your Influence (which is like Rep/Faction) and will allow you a chance to win loot multiple times. If you are near a Public Quest and you get the announcement that the final stage is starting, just run over there and try to get in a nuke before it finishes. You may luck out and win a roll for loot. It's a cheap tactic, but you know everyone is going to be doing it, so you may as well also.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:24 PM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

EQ1: Kailtor(trex)
WoW: Kaltina - Alleria
You know what's not cool? You get number one on the contribution, so you get +500 to your roll, and then you roll a 2! 2 is not very good, my friends.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:44 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Yeah, the random component sucks in a lot of ways. I was #1 on contribution and ended up 7th place (no loot) last night in ch. 3.

Noticing a lot more broken mob bugs as you get further in the game. Invalid targets, ghosts chasing and attacking, and archers that are stuck as 'dead' and still shooting folks.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:32 PM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

Pretty much every archer is broken and won't let you attack him until you move around a little. Lots of mobs will be attacking you from any distance while you can't attack them back. I also like the corpses which are standing but have 0 hp and can't be killed.

Also it might have been lag, but I noticed that I can't cast another bolt as a sorceress until my bolt has hit my target...while it's in the air I have to stand still or it's interrupted. wat? Is that lag, or am I right?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:36 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Are you guys reporting these bugs? I haven't noticed much and really have never been a "beta tester" before, but I am trying to at least make an effort to report things I find screwed up or just overly annoying.

What's up with the Scenario scoreboard coming up every time you die in a Scenario?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:39 PM 

Kailtor wrote:
I also like the corpses which are standing but have 0 hp and can't be killed.

I have and still see this in just about every mmo today. The only mobs I have noticed this on have been "Cold Ones" everything else has been kind of smooth.

Oh, the PQ with the 6(?) headed dragon at the end, he always bugs a bit.

Muli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:43 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Guess this is in today's update:

Quote:
Folks,

So, while today has been incredibly stressful for our European brethren, I have lots of good news to share with all WAR fans. Here are the early results from the first day of our North American + Oceania Open Beta.

Incredibly stable game experience:
- 47K total users playing concurrently. We’re not up to where DAoC was at peak yet but we’re off to a good start eh? When Europe comes online we hope to shatter DAoC’s numbers before we launch.

- 27 servers deployed and running smoothly. We have 23 servers in NA, 2 in OC and 2 more Test severs.

- Client CTD’s are very low on average (lower than PW). However, some people seem to crash more often, primarily when exiting or entering scenarios but we’re hot on the heels of this one.

- Zero, none, zilch Tier 1 region crashes since Open Beta started this morning at 7AM. No total server crashes either.

Lots of top reported issues already fixed with hot patches (no server reboot):
- PQ completion tuning. As always, tuning for now, subject to continued tuning.

- Loss of hot-bar abilities on leaving scenarios. Let us know if this still happens though.

- RvR equipment pricing, power and availability. Whoopsie. Well, something always goes unexpectedly wrong.

- Pet UI disappearing. Like we needed more pet issues? Luckily it has been resolved (we hope). Let us know if it happens again.

We’ve fixed several of the top reported issues and they will go in tomorrow morning’s patch unless those damn Dwarfs start singing again:

- Continued improvements to monster “lagginess” when being hit by a ranged attack. Monsters will respond much more quickly to aggression. Ranged monsters won’t constantly pause at odd times without attacking.

- Fixed an issue in seeing loot sparkles in RvR that were unlootable.

And thanks to everyone’s help, we’re hot on the heels of two more:

- Crashing when leaving scenarios.

- Unattackable monster states. Hopefully we’ll get this one locked down soon, it really is a pain in the butt.

So, that’s the quick update. Having almost 50K players in the game currently and no game crashes makes this quite a successful start to the Open Beta. We’ll open more servers as necessary and continue looking at all the major issues. Please keep reporting bugs and answering surveys that’s how we get some of our information.

As always, thanks for your patience and hopefully soon your patronage.

Mark

Last edited by Neesha the Necro on Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:52 PM, edited 1 time in total.
found a better quote

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:57 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Is it possible to progress in this game without any pvp at all?

Is all pvp RvR? Or is there world pvp?

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:11 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

It's possible to progress without pvp and it is possible to progress with only pvp.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:13 PM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

Yeah, I've been reporting the worst stuff that I find, as I always do with beta programs. I like playing for free, but I also repay them for the ability to do so if I find something I deem worthy of reporting.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:06 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Yes, but will not pvping *at all* cripple me in any way? I really dislike PVP in most games, and I'd like to avoid it if possible here too :P

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:21 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Well, the game is centered on PVP, so I am sure the "best stuff" will be PVP-related. There are still dungeons and stuff, and plenty of quests, so I still think you'd have fun in that regard. But even some of the later Public Quests that you do have RvR involved as well. If you play on a regular server, what happens when you do some of the PQ where there are flagged people and you accidentally nuke another PC and flag yourself? It will happen, you can be sure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:10 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

With the PQ system and quests etc you don't need to pvp at all van and still can get great gear (puple epics even at low lvls). There are also named lair bosses etc to keep you busy (not sure exactly how this works).

But I hate to say it once you do some of the pvp you might change your mind, I really never was into it but since I started in closed beta I can't get enough of it. I've leveled my last 4-5 chars 1-15ish or so all doing pvp scenario's only heh. Plus the open rvr is just plain addicting.

Like anything im sure it will get old but the ride is shaping up to be a good one!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:32 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Warhammer is a PvP game. There is no strictly PvE experience to be had, and PvE/PvP levels are separate things. You're gimped if you don't have both.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:18 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
The pvp involves short team based games with easy to understand goals (capture the flag/king of the hill etc) with relatively balanced teams. Even people who 'hate' pvp will probably enjoy it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:18 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
The higher you go, the smaller the PvE area becomes, untill the last end game zones are 100% RvR areas. This is on a Core Rules server.

There is plenty to do and good loot to get if you enjoy PvE. Public Quests are great, when you actually have people there that is. Most will require a pretty high number of tanks.

If you enjoyed DAoC, you'll love the way they did things in Warhammer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:45 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Been playing 2 days now in OB.
Dabbled with a couple levels 1-4 with runepriest, warpriest, brightwiz, archmage. Being a healer or caster DPS is rough when your melee don't protect. I attribute this to being beta and a higher number of run around idiots.

Enjoying my lvl 8 ironbreaker the most. He really got interesting after lvl 5.

Interface:
Pretty standard, but like having all your favorite mods loaded.
Up to 4 rows of 12 hotkeys. You can load different sets of 4x tactics. Also a bar for up to 4 morales.

Mechanic:
Standard abilites working around the career/class mechanic. ie. IB accumulates grudge from being hit in increments of 5 up to 100. It slowly fades but not as quick as warrior rage in wow. Can use grudge to trigger some abilities or enhance others.

Other mechanic is oathing 1 group member who shares in your buffs and helps you accumulate grudge when they get hit. In my party of 6, I typically oath the healer or engineer.

IB dmg output is pretty good. I can kill an opponent 1v1, and can usually take down 1 guy with me if I'm getting a group beat down. It helps to have a healer, but most of the folks in OB are just healing themselves.

When I tried Runepriest I had no help and would get beat down as tanks ran around like idiots. The only help was from other healers who understood.

Quests
Very intuitive. They have the standard icons above their heads. Map is marked with red area detailing this quest here. There is also a quest in each "region" for the RvR which gives like 15k exp the 1st time
and 900 exp subsequent times.

RvR:
RvR starts with a gatehouse building with 3 flags. Just like WoW BG
as you hold ground near a flag it changes to your faction. First to 500 pts wins. Just like WoW BG it varies widely in how balanced it can be.

Usually one side crushes the other, haven't had any close matches.
You also accumulate decent exp for leveling in an RvR, along with realm points and faction to acquire gear.

Titles:
You constantly get achievement titles as you do things from killing X of Y, from quests, and anything you can think of. There is actually a title "Wasteful" from deleting crap out of your bag.

PQ: public quests
This is a really great feature. Basically as you progress across the zone map you cross area's or regions for PQ's. For example the first is an orc fort. They typically have 3 stages. The first stage is to kill X number of orc Y in like 10 min. After that stage 2 is to collect 10 barrels in 10 min. Then stage 3 spawns the boss with a few guards, killing him triggers the PQ reward. You get a loot sack which pops a screen of 10 items and you pick one. Top are typically gear upgrades, middle are tradeskill stuff, and last is always coin.

Anyone can participate in the PQ, you don't have to be grouped, but grouping allows buffing. At the end a random roller pops up and gives bonus roll points to higher contributors, but it is still
a random roll. It then ranks all the folks in the PQ who each loot the glowing chest. The rewards can be pretty good, and above drops in that area. If the timer runs out, the PQ resets to stage 1.

It's really cool to just wander into a region and join in. Grouped, or solo you can all do the requirements and get rewards. In the dwarven starting zone there are like 4 PQ's. Orc keep, orc hill, goblin mines, and engine 9. Keep in mind this is all from levels 1-8.

Gear:
Other than random drops, I couldn't buy my first gear upgrades until the warcamp on the other side of the starting zone after leaving the dwarven castle. Money wasn't an issue as selling junk got decent amounts of silver. The real gear upgrades come from RvR realm merchants who sell you gear based on RvR rank and class rank.

RvR points come very easily from doing the RvR instance. I think my IB is class level 8 and RvR rank 7. You can also die all your gear for a small fee. There are also the PQ rewards, and there are faction/rep rewards for each PQ region. As you kill you gain rep on the rep bar with 3 key pts. Each point as you pass it is a basic, better, best reward.

You only get to fill the bar once, so choose wisely. It basically amounts to getting 1 basic, 1 better, and 1 best item per PQ region. There is also the first flight master at the first warcap to other parts of the world. Most are locked, but I believe there was 1 area I could fly to.

Talents/RvR pts
You don't get access to talents until lvl 10, however it's worth explaining that while moving up one of the 3 talent scales to get new abilities, you also strengthen your core abilities. RvR points, I had like 6 pts
at RvR rank 7.

The first 20 pts are basic improve stats. I bought +3 str, +3 toughness, and +5% RvR exp. After 20 pts you go into the second section of RvR pts, and at 40 the third section. These help to specialize
your character.

The thing to remember is that you can start out in RvR, PQ's, literally at lvl 1. If your RvR instance has more higher level folks you will be artifically leveled up to match. However you will lack your higher level abilities
while they may have theirs. PQ's are damn fun, with folks in a region all working to get through the 3 stages.

I believe the class level cap is 40, but RvR rank goes all the way up to 80.

The vibe was kind of a like a WoW meets LOTR, but like a fully modified, and current version of the two. Chat is minimal as it starts off to the side, and I don't think most folks see it, or think to chat.
I did run across a few folks worth grouping with and they were mature.

Bugs:
I updated to the very latest nvidia driver 177.98 from http:www.laptopvideo2go.com and it fixed A LOT.
I no longer hang or have driver stop issues on screen changes. It runs quite well on my laptop.

I imagine really big RvR will be an issue, but the instance stuff with 2-3 groups is no problem. There are still some issues like mobs get stuck on evade due to positioning, PQ fail on stage III, Pathing resets, but nothing that stopped me from enjoying the game.

Definately worth checking out for at least levels 1-10, OB caps at 20.

Azzi

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:49 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

How is this game from the casual side? After I got burned out on WoW last summer I told myself I wouldn't get so involved in any more MMO's, but is this something I can just load up, have some quick RvR matches and exit? And not feel compelled to stick around for the endless raid/ farm consumables cycle?

I wasn't too into PVP in WoW, mostly because to me it was a PVE centered game and the PVP was a distraction that got in the way. If I can treat WAR more like TF2, I may find myself enjoying it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:49 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Yes, this game is very playable in short doses up to Tier 3. In Tier 4 the games and RvR can take on the order of a couple hours versus about 15-30min. Unless you don't really care about progressing the 'war' aspect that is. :P

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:56 PM 
Spider Slayer

There's more than instanced PvP. There's places to capture in the world, and specific places where you become RvR flagged, with quests to go into these areas and repeatable quests to get enemy player kills, which you can get for being a healer too.

Nuking someone who's flagged shouldn't be a big deal, there's towns/friendly places all about with lvl 55 guards to one shot your enemies. I also saw a lvl 13 get turned into a chicken for trying to attack me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:37 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

One issue, not really a bug, that I ran into is that the world PvP areas seem to have zero mobs outside the watchtowers and keeps. The first ones are in Tier 2 (Bone Wastes?) and it is very boring to run all the way across them.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:41 AM 

Speaking of bugs the one thing that's really getting to me right now is that the animations are not lining up at ALL with mobs being hit. I hit a mob with my engineer's shotgun blast before he even raised his gun to start the animation. I don't even want to talk about the animations on the squig herder.

There were similar issues in DAOC. Mobs run around like chickens with their heads cut off. A number of issues with pathing. NPCs getting stuck and evading. Honestly, it seems like Mythic didn't learn a whole lot about game mechanics/programming since DAOC =x

That being said the gameplay is still very solid, I'm just throwing out that there's plenty of work to do - and boy this game would be even more fantastic if they could fix all these little kinks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:01 AM 

I do believe that was one of the big things on the latest list of "To Do's" they had. Pathing was somewhat fixed, but not where they want it. I think it also jacked up mob animation and ghost warping.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:00 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

This should get your collective motors running

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:40 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I'm having a hard time picturing RvR as anything other than a big, non-instanced AV having not played much of DAoC. Can someone elaborate as to what the big differences are?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:41 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Nice video Neesha. There is a few issues tho. Balance and even more balance. What if its like WoW all over again, where the Alliance out numbers the Horde 10 to 1....its going to make it a lot harder for some people to win the Tier 4 and City events. If Blizzard had the same setup in WoW...the Alliance would just zerg the horde down, and they might never win because they are outnumbered big time.

I wonder how the balance issue will be handled once Warhammer goes live.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:57 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Dig Dug, as in everything in life, people will find a way. The servers will not be balanced evenly. There's no way to control that. Look at World of Warcraft. On virtually every single server, Alliance vastly outnumbers Horde, yet Horde has found a way to defeat the King in Stormwind and the sucker in Ironforge. It may be a struggle on some servers, but I am sure people will find a way to overcome the odds.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:30 AM 

I heard somewhere that they were going to balance the servers to some degree but not allowing anymore Order or Destro join if there were too many, not positive on that though.

Either way, sure balance will be a pain but at least this opens up some possibly incredible RVR gameplay. This is not even possible in WoW. I'm just glad to know that I could participate in meaningful RVR and city sieges. Even in an outnumbered zerg I'd have a fun time defending in that kind of environment.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:16 AM 
What? Another Expansion?!

Is there a basic guide to what stats affect what anywhere? Even a tooltip in game?

Sorry if this is bloody obvious information but I've not come across it anywhere yet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:30 AM 

Hit P and mouse over any stat there for an explanation on what they do. There is a little pull down under one of your chars feet to select spell, melee, defense and whatnot.

Also, + stats are better than bigger DPS. Example....

A 15.3 DPS sword with 4 wounds and 4 Inititive is worse than a 13.4 DPS sword with 15 Strength on it. The DPS factor is only for white hits, and since most of your damage comes from specials, the 15 Str one is far superior since it affects those.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:19 AM 

That's great thanks Givin

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:47 AM 

Patch today fixed a lot of tooltip crap. A lot of abilities should make more sense now.

Offline Profile