It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:53 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:35 AM 

After I said I would never jump into a game until I gave it 3 months of players reviews, I pre-ordered Warhammer. WoW, LoTRO, VG, AoC, and even EQ2 I played either during beta and release and they ended up in the crapper pile. Well EQ2 lasted a while before it made it. However, AoC was my last straw. I played Beta, had some fun, saw the potential, and it broke my heart.

Anyway, how many of you are in? Have you pre-ordered? Playing at release? Giving it a few months?

I received my Amazon codes yesterday. Xolar and I are both in. Haven't talked to Duty or Zeronus yet. We typically like playing a server and then jumping on a hopeful Christmas server release. That worked great on EQ. We learned the in's and out's on Solu Ro. Lanys was coming during Christmas so we wanted to reroll with our new found knowledge. Would like to roll on the same server with everyone even if it isn't a guild so we can all learn and own the RvR together.

Thoughts?

Take care,
Muli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:44 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
I'm in, most likely playing Destruction.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:55 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Addict! :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:15 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I will be giving it a shot (playing Order). Here's a screenshot I took during the beta:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:37 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Yeah, I'm playing.

Order will probably have the best queue times across the board.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:21 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
This game looks like it might end up pretty nice =) My question for those of you playing already is this: Which side is "the horde" if you get my drift. Meaning, what side are the adults playing on and which side are the moronic anal [rupture] spamming kids on?

I've about utterly had it with alliance and I don't want to make that damn mistake again.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:46 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I'd say it's too early to tell but the early numbers indicate that the Order side will have less people than the Chaos side. So I'd assume for the sake of this conversation, Order = Horde, Chaos = Alliance.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:16 PM 

The last time I did any digging, the majority of big guilds and groups had planned to go Destruction. This is mainly due to having non shit tanking classes "ala Chosen, and the Black Orc being a better flavor of tank over the sword master as far as looks"

Here are my gripes about what we'll see at release.

Order tanks. The Ironbreaker just doesn't do it yet. They play VERY slow and come into their own way later than they should. While they can take a shit ton of damage, and their grudges aren't "bad", they come off in PvP as being an iron clad gnat. Just a bother, not a threat.

Sword masters, while as solid as Black Orcs, are still high elves. I personaly hate elves, so I will bag on them. Elven starting areas are boring as shit also.

Chaos tanks. Chosen are awesome tanks. So awesome in fact they will outshine anything else on Order with ease even after being nerfed. It will also make people wish for the knight of the blazing sun every day they aren't playing this class, or go up against these guys in pvp.

Dark Elves have no starting area tanks. This makes their PQs hard. Not impossible, just hard. Expect a great exodus to the empire lands. Queue for Khaine's Embrace may be longer than Gates or Nordenwatch. Empire also suffer from this, but their area is a lot more interesting and not as tank heavy. I have seen a few chosen come over to the dark elf isles, but I do not know why. They clean house in the PQs tho.

All healing classes are INSANELY powerful and fun to play. Archmage/Shaman is my flavor of choice. Their sexy beam nuke is amazing. Comedy gold when you power up your Waaaargh! or Arcane magic to level 5 and unleash that beast.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:09 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Fin me hhug and not sure else are all going order. Pretty much did that based on the fact that every survey/conversation/piece of data I have seen + beta #'s indicate destruction is going to be the more heavily populated side.

This will suck in some open RVR areas but I rather have shorter que times. I'm going bright wizard as a main so I can continue my unique talent of killing myself! I have a 2nd copy ordered to 2box, I am thinking archmage at this point but still need to do abit more testing on other healers.

I spent about 20 levels as a Dark elf and givin is right, PQ's can get annoying with only sorcs and a few disc's running around. Its not bad during peak time but if there is only a few people there trying to ironman the PQ its a bitch with no tank on the hero's. You have to resort to zerg rushes due to the time limit pretty much if you only have 4-5 people.

I'm torn right now as far as wanting to start a guild or just seeing what develops. If I end up

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:44 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

preordered here, but choosing everything completely blind based on info given in the game. I'll read everything lore-like and choose based on looks and what just 'sounds like fun.'

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:45 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Warhammer looks like going to be fun!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:14 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
few of us old CQ are playing, planning on order as well, I'm playing Witch Hunter myself or

a Shadow Warrior

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:49 AM 

I'm getting pretty excited. Can't wait to see a server list. I have computer parts on the way and ready to hit this hard.

I'm looking to be a Sword Master but this will be sad not being a Dark Elf. (Hate the lost their tank class) However, I have to some type of elf so that pretty well leaves Swordmaster or Shadow Warrior.

Bring on the RvR... :axe:

Take care,
Muli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:53 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
I'm going to give it a shot as an Order tank. Low queue times and high group demand. I'm going with the theory that eventually all the classes even out in power, so I'm not going to worry about what is the "best" class right now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:46 AM 
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!

Savyia and I will be playing this.

Pretty set on playing Destruction at this point. Not sure on which server but Barak Varr will probably be the server we start on.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:17 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

What are these Que times everyone is talking about? lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:25 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Evilundead Afterlife wrote:
What are these Que times everyone is talking about? lol

I don't know much about WH pvp yet and if there are actual queues for BGs, but I know from WoW that being on the lesser populated side means you can always find PvP action a lot easier/quicker.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:29 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Similar to queue times for BGs in WoW. You join a PvP Scenario for instance, and then you have to wait until the teams fill up before being ported in to start. Unlike WoW, unless they change it, you can queue from pretty much anywhere.

They are supposedly setting population caps on the servers, and that would mitigate some of the waiting issues but I don't see how they could possibly do it on release with the usual one month turnover.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:09 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Oh, so all the RvR content are in BG instances? I was really hoping for World PvP in normal zones, and not soo much BG setup again. BG's are cool, but I hope people PvP outside of them tho. Like attacking major Cities...stuff like that.

In the beta, does all of the RvR take place inside the battlegrounds? Or, do people PvP anywhere they choose too? Its very cool to have a feeling of danger, and risk as you are questing/exp in contested zones.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:30 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
There are open world RvR, only example I can give is the won I played alot of this past weekend

Siege of New Emshrank, Chaos vs Empire RvR

had landmarks you could take like the Shrine, and a ship in the harbor, and lost cove etc etc

and there were numerous solo rvr quests you could complete in the area, like going and lighting a signal fire and

scout missions to check the status of a certain stronghold

and once you assaulted and captured an objective it couldn't be assualted for 15 minutes by the opposing forces

and then they had to kill off the npc guards on the objective after the 15 minutes was up, before they could take it again.

I had alot of fun . plus I hit the bg type stuff in area when obj couldn't be taken

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:17 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Yea, you'll see orange shaded areas on your map that indicate contested RvR areas. If you enter those areas, you'll immediately get a message saying "Entering Realm vs Realm territory, flagging for RvR in 10 seconds" and the timer will tick down. If you don't want to flag, you can simply back up and take an alternate route around that spot. If you want to flag and do some RvR fun, you simply need to wait the 10 seconds. You'll then be flagged, you can go down to where the fighting is taking place, and you can join in on the fun. I guess if I had to put it in WoW terms, it would be like running through a zone and suddenly you run into AB. If you want to help take the Blacksmith, just head there and start killing the enemy. If you got there by mistake, just turn around and go about your business. The one thing I didn't really like, however, was when you died, it sent you back to your bind point (or whatever it was called) and unflagged you. If you wanted to get back in on the action, you had to run back to that spot (seeing the timer that would flag you again as you ran, etc). I guess I am just used to graveyards.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:20 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

I pre-ordered last night from gamestop. Waiting on my 2 day later open beta code and head start code, and need to call mythic to resurrect my old daoc master account.

On the Ironbreaker (Order tank) do they get charge like a wow warrior?

I like that this is coming out in the next couple weeks. I've got a 70 priest on Onyxia and have been itching to do a rogue or warrior next for pvp, but can't stomach grinding up on the same old 5 yrs old WoW content, while dealing with 12 yr old gankers.

I like the hard to kill concept of the ironbreaker, can oath an ally, and going vengeance may put out decent DPS. Always envied the disc priest, fury warrior, and subtley rogues in WoW BG's.

Still reading the 200 post long threads on FoH, and anything else I can google on Ironbreakers. Agree with most folks that destruction will be the new alliance and going Order will be better. (assuming they balance populations)

Azzi ready for MMO # 8
(EQ1, EQ2, WoW, DaoC, CoH/CoV, AoC, VG...)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:39 PM 

When you die, you get sent to the nearest warcamp, or held objective. It's done this way because if you just spawned right back at the keep, there would be no point to playing well and you could just zerg each other all day and very little would be taken. This promotes good play and teamwork.

Every healing class has an in combat cast rez spell, 3 second cast for pure healers, 6 second for the hybrids and it will be a critical tool in keep siege strategy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:38 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

They really need to change rez mechanics to allow you to take a rez after you released with some sort of limitation to prevent exploiting. Even a 15 second window after you release or something. If you are pvp'ing and not in a group/vent situation there is so little communication that you just instantly try and respawn.

The open RVR is pretty epic and chaotic with a eerie hint of order....ie, when you are fighting for areas it seems just all out insanity but if you stand back and watch from a 30,000 foot view (so to speak) it seems almost orchastrated. You can see big pushes at times, small groups flanking etc. Truly organized guilds/groups that have some strong leaders to control the masses are just going to ass rape to some extent. Morons that don't realize you aren't going to kill a tank being healed by numerous healers no matter how much you beat on him are just renown fodder.

I just hope they tone down tanks a tad...they are just beasts. Like others mentioned the importance of healing is really a good things as it drives a lot more strategic fight vs complete mass zerg.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:00 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Who will be the disc priest equivalent?
Base class and then talent? spec.

Sounds like they are mostly all squishy and first to die next to bright wizard.
Runepriest
Warrior priest
Archmage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:11 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I think the Runepriest will be the primay healing class (moreso than the Warrior Priest). I've never played a healing class before, but I am going to give the Runepriest a shot during the open Beta because I've heard good things about the class.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:35 AM 
Selling FBR First Torch!
Selling FBR First Torch!

Ordering tonight.

Destruction looks more fun to me, but probably will roll Order since most of the people I know are going that route.

No idea yet what I'm playing. Originally I wanted to play the Blackguard, but since it's gone I'll probably do the Ironbreaker.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:53 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Do Ironbreakers spend all day trying to get melee range on people but never actually getting there? That would annoy me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:27 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Battles are so chaotic you'll always be in melee range of someone. And you can *kinda* sprint. The annoying thing with IBs is that smart people will grudge starve them by ignoring them and their oath friend.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:26 AM 
What? Another Expansion?!
What? Another Expansion?!

Been pre ordered for months, won't get to play with anyone here though. I'm on the pesky EU servers.

Going Shammy I think, played a tank for far too long.

Really can't wait for this game, I've been missing the feeling of epic battles since they introduced cross realm BG's.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:34 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

EQ1: Perpetuo / Bupas
WoW: Proven
I will be playing casually.

Khameir since you have Mod here, once we get closer to release could you start a "server/name" thread and sticky it or something?

I will probably end up playing wherever the most people are, and I'm sure there are others that feel that way as well.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:08 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Bupas wrote:
I will be playing casually.

Khameir since you have Mod here, once we get closer to release could you start a "server/name" thread and sticky it or something?

I will probably end up playing wherever the most people are, and I'm sure there are others that feel that way as well.

Thanks in advance.

This would be really great as we totally farked up the wow launch. All those plans to hook up on a "new lanys" crashed when we had people scrambling to find A server, ANY server lol.....

Be fun to see old names and whatnot, even if we didn't end up in the same guild, playstyle...etc.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:37 PM 

Yeah, I don't neceassarily have to try and push a whole guild idea but, would be cool to land on the same server just to hang out and see familiar faces. We can do a guild though and see how it goes and as we learn the game and people see how other progress, make decisions as we come to them.

Take care,
Muli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:02 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Until there is more guild specific PVE I think guilds will be much more appealing to the masses and will allow for players of different playstyle/goals to stay guilded together.

Offline Profile