It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:28 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:20 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
What is the difference? I noticed they had a "free weekend" going on this weekend. Does that mean the servers came down after the weekend and will not be back up until the Open Beta or will the people who had access to the Closed Beta continue to be able to log in each day?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:26 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Closed beta is over. The preview weekend ended it. Open Beta, which is really "Beta for people who prepaid and got lucky" starts September 7th. The level cap is 20 and it lasts one week. After that, on the 15th, the early start begins, which is the real game for pre-pays, except it still is capped at level 20. The game officially goes live to everyone on the 18th of September.

I do not know about Elder beta. Wasn't a part of that. But yes, Closed beta has ended and as of now there is no more planned testing. Look for them to patch at least once during Open Beta to put in the Engineer/Magus changes which I think were already done, but not pushed out.

The only fun I had as an Engineer. They need updated, BADLY. It's coming, but man....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:46 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
If they're on the tail end of patch-fix-patch, how is the game shaping up (i.e. will it be worth it to start on release or give it a month or two)?

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:03 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I was able to log in this morning, which is why I was wondering what was up. Outside of pathing issues*, which have been acknowledged and supposedly will be corrected, I really haven't seen any issues with the game after playing this weekend that would make me tell anyone to wait. Granted, some of the tradeskills/gathering professions aren't even in the game yet, so those could be hosed when released, but so far, so good.

*Pathing issues = White Lion pets have a very tough time following their leaders and/or attacking mobs. Also, often when you attack a mob, the mob will simply run away from you for a good 5 seconds, then turn around and run right back to you, or it will just stand in place as you unload spells/bullets on it. It's not an uncommon problem with a new game, but it is annoying. Outside of that, I doubt I could really name another "bug" that I encountered other than the pathing issues. I did fall through a building once (but landed outside of the building), and I noticed an NPC spinning in place, but other than that, it has been pretty solid.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:08 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

By the way, I had posted about the public quests and tried to compare them to stuff in WoW (the release of AQ40, etc). You really can't compare the two as the public quests are very unique and totally blow away the stuff I mentioned about WoW. Kudos to Mythic for coming up with something pretty unique and fun. Those public quests and the Tome of Knowledge are both awesome and I am sure you'll see a variation of them in other MMORPGs in the near future.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:14 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Quote:
You really can't compare the two as the public quests are very unique and totally blow away the stuff I mentioned about WoW

Mythic has done some very cool and unique things over the years. Maybe you never gave Dark Age a try?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:45 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Annastazia
WoW: Gravestone
Im in the open beta and played some this weekend. It didnt impress me much honestly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:30 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Count me officially confused. The open beta starts on Sept 7th... Closed beta is over... but you're... playing in open beta?

The site isn't very specific about it, unfortunately. I pre-ordered and it won't let me log in past the patcher.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:47 AM 

NM, after re-reading it, I'm assuming you guys got in because of the free weekend. I swear I remember checking the site last weekend and didn't see a mention of it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:39 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

From what I read, last weekend, most "new" people could not get in initially, but then they added 50,000 more Beta slots. So people who continued to try were able to get in (or those like me who just got lucky on their first attempt). Also, there was some confusion with the pre-order codes and several people got Collector's Edition codes even when they didn't buy the CE, so they were also able to play the free weekend.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:20 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I got a code for the 7th, so I'll try it out then.

I'll be looking for you Neesha!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:44 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Yeah they did the free preview weekend, and if you had pre-ordered early enough you could have gotten a code for the preview weekend, which a lot of people did.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:09 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

I lucked out, will be between jobs with a week of paid time off the week of the open beta. 5-7 days to test drive classes.

Still with 10 under Order, it'd be nice to have a better idea.

I want to be very hard to kill or kill very easy.
Thinking Ironbreaker? How do they close the distance? I know they have a snare/root. How is their DPS? Any burst?

Thinking bright wizard? How do they defend? Do they blink, do they ice nova, do they ice anything? What is the class in the trailer evil female who freezes opponents?

tks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:11 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
You should really go check out Warhammer Alliance and read up. You can't make comparisons to WoW classes. Everything works different here. It's closer to DAoC than WoW, but even then it is kind of a streach to make accurate comparisons. Yeah sure, core mechanics of doing damage and healing are similar, as you can't really get to far from the base formula. Everything else however is pretty different.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:51 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Khameir
WoW: Khameir
Rift: Khameir
EQ2: Khameir
LoL: Khameir
SWOR: Khameir
Quote:
What is the class in the trailer evil female who freezes opponents?

Dark Elf Sorceress (which can be Male Sorcerers as well) is who thats supposed to be, I however don't remember them having Ice Mage type spells...didn't play one though so I can't say for sure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:08 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Been reading up on Warhammer Alliance about career's aka classes. Also watching beta folks posting footage on youtube.

I get the mechanic of grudge on ironbreaker and combustion on bright wizard. I really liked playing disc priest, heal, buff, hard to kill. Will have the open beta week to test drive.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:13 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Hypothetically, ranged dps is suposed to be lower then light melee dps (and tied with med/heavy) but in a game with so an extremely chaotic enviroment its worthwhile to be ranged dps and just blast people from a far if you like that sort of thing. Straight dps shouldn't be considered honestly.

I get raped hardcore by melee dps...very little defense to this. However, I still usually lead kills, damage done etc if I play smart. Definitallly a game that fits certain play styles, no one "uber class" of any sort atm. Well tanks are ass rape but /shrug.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:55 PM 

Just to make sure, because I have a friend who was offering me beta codes: I know closed beta is supposedly done and open beta is due to start - I'm assuming right now people with closed beta keys cannot play either? So basically, no one is playing right now? Is that accurate?

I'm dying to try this game out, Sept 7th cannot come soon enough =x

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:13 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Pretty sure there are people playing Elder Beta still (which still hasn't had their NDA lifted), but I could be wrong.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:32 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Khameir
WoW: Khameir
Rift: Khameir
EQ2: Khameir
LoL: Khameir
SWOR: Khameir
Neesha the Necro wrote:
Pretty sure there are people playing Elder Beta still (which still hasn't had their NDA lifted), but I could be wrong.

Elder Beta Servers are also offline at the moment, but yes we're still under NDA

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:35 PM 

I have the Open Beta Client downloaded but when prompted to log in for patch it just kicks me back to log in. This normal?

I'm shouldn't be able to play until Sept. 7th but wanted to keep up on patches.

Thanks,
Muli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:56 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Yah, getting the same thing on open beta login.

Hopefully they locked down for a week after going gold and sent everyone on vacation, once things start rolling they won't get a break.

Offline Profile