Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: ...Mac?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:57 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
Looking for a cheap Intel Mac to experiment with.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: ...Mac?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:14 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
You're dead to me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:42 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

Haha. I feel like the guy at the frat party who's trying to quietly get a Sprite.

I have some clients who are migrating to Mac (or thinking about it) and need to be able to walk them through things.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:46 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Leolan wrote:
Haha. I feel like the guy at the frat party who's trying to quietly get a Sprite.

I have some clients who are migrating to Mac (or thinking about it) and need to be able to walk them through things.

Walkthrough for client:

Step 1: Buy a PC

:D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:13 PM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

lol

They're people who've been using PCs for years and want to see what all the fuss is about. They don't have any solid reason to switch, but I'm tired of persuading them of it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:43 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Why isn't there a reason to switch? ;p

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:10 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Vanamar wrote:
Why isn't there a reason to switch? ;p

The only reason to switch at all IMHO would be for very specific applications. Macs are better for certain media applications...but that's it. Other than that, it falls under personal preference. There are many rabidly loyal mac users. When my dad worked IT for a major company (from the 70s through the 90s) he had to deal with rabid mac users who fought like hell to keep their macs, despite it being an utter pain in the ass for everyone. I recall a conversation about it in the mid 80s when I was learning how to program (on an apple), because I had used a PC since ...oh I'm not sure, but when everyone else was playing their first games on Amigas and shit, we had an IBM from his work *grin*. Anyhoo, there were things that I liked better on apple, but I prefered a PC, and that started the conversation.

You don't really see the same rabid loyalty in the PC market, partially because it's more diverse. You don't see that loyalty to IBM machines, or to microsoft software. Or a processing chip, people have preferences, but not rabid loyalty.

Here's my conclusion, which may be right or wrong...it's just what I think at this point. Apple products have been less about the applications and more about functionality. Apple products have always been easier to use than it's counterparts. I have owned a variety of mp3 players...none of which even remotely hold a candle to my iPod. I'm in love with it. It might not be the 'best' out there...when it comes to a variety of applications. There may be other mp3 players which do 'more'. But it is the BEST in how easy it is to use, and how well it meets my needs.

People get very attached to machines. I am very attached to my car. I'm attached to my computers. I'm VERY attached to my ipod. So there's that natural attachment coupled with how so very easy it is to use, and you have a low frustration level. People assign emotions to machines based on frustration level. When you're very happy at how it works, especially when you have other basis for comparison....you quickly form very positive attachments.

Those are the reasons I think Apple has rabid fanboys. Utterly rabid fanboys. Even linux fanbois can't compare.

Apple isn't the best computer for many people, I'd even say 'most' people. But...if it's applications meet your needs, it's probably the best at functionality. And that counts for a lot.

If my Grandfather were 15 years younger, I'd probably buy him a Mac to use online. Because it's just that easy. Plus then you don't have 99% of the problems you have with a PC, though perhaps there are more viruses and crap thrown towards Macs today, I dunno.

If I were a casual computer user who didn't game...I'd have a mac. If I were super rich, I'd have a mac just for artistic purposes.

YMMV.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:15 PM 

If you want to game, you can always install Windows on your mac now :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:27 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

That's one of the things I need to test out... not gaming necessarily, but virtualization and Windows compatibility.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:48 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Quote:
If you want to game, you can always install Windows on your mac now :P

you forgot "...and make it a PC".

Or just save $1500 and buy a PC...

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:36 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I picked up an iMac at an auction for only $25.

Granted, it's not fast- only 400 Mhz, but it has half a Gb RAM, a DVD writer, and one hell of a nice GPU.

I picked it up because, being in the IT field, I wanted to expand my horizons and learn how to use/troubleshoot OS X. These systems are very solidly put together and seem to outperform a PC with the same specs.

I haven't done *much* with the iMac, but I did put together my website with it. Mac > * when it comes to web and graphics design. It's not fast enough to run any current games on though, but I definitely wouldn't knock a person for wanting to get one. OS X is pretty slick.

Leo, I'd keep an eye on eBay and pick one up cheaper that way.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:40 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
I recently got a Macbook, and I'm really enjoying the OS, it's pretty neat. Only thing I don't like is that I don't feel I have as much control as I do with the PC, but I'm a n00b still.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:10 PM 
Lois Lane!

I like Mac's OS more than Windows. I own PCs (I think Macs are overpriced and I hate that I can't really shop around for good deals when it comes to upgrades), but I adore the new imac my paper has.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:55 PM 

Seriously though, I am considering either getting a Mac-Pro or just building a dual quad core xeon box for my video editing. Not much out there on ebay though and I just can't bring myself to paying 3k for a computer when I can build one for almost half.

I really need to hang with some Mac junkies and see if there is really a huge difference in getting videos edited and rendered.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:34 AM 

The video editing software (Final Cut) is a lot more intuitive than anything I've seen on Windows. Final Cut Pro (well worth the investment) has a lot of features not found on Windows apps at the same price level. It's not as fully featured as say, Premiere or After Effects, but it also costs about 1/10th the price.

I haven't run into any problems using Windows apps (either via Parallels or Boot Camp) on my Mac Mini.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:25 PM 

Well, for what I need it for, I am more interested in the rendering times vs cool shit I can do with it. The Mac Pro's have dual quad core Xeons, but I don't know of any Mac editing programs that can do AVCHD .mts files.

Currently I use 2 apps, Pinnacle Studio 11 Ult for editing (highlighting players on the field prior to plays going off) and Nero 8 Ult for straight rendering raw SVCHD footage after the game is over. Not too many apps out there, including Avid Liquid 7.2 and FCP that can edit raw AVCHD files, they all need to be converted to .m2ts, P2 or .m2v before they can even be imported. Converting the file lowers the quality of the video, which is unacceptable since it has to be rendered down to SD-DVD anyway.

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:45 AM 

Pretty sure final cut pro can do all that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:00 PM 

Unfortunately, FCP can't. It will only work with Sony's .m2ts files and JVC's .mod files, not Panasonic's .mts without conversion. The compression for each of them is unique.

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:31 PM 

weird. I have a friend who works for a company that does wedding videos and commercials, and they use Panasonic gear. I'll check with him and see what they use.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:57 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
I see macs on craigslist all the time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:17 PM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Golliwog
WoW: Rileigh
I too may be in the market for a mac laptop in the near future. I just bought a digital SLR camera and now am thinking about how neato it would be to have a laptop to process photos on while travelling etc. It would basically be used for just photo editing/storing, internet and email and maybe some music now and then.

Thinking a mac might be better for this type of use. Still in research mode tho!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:33 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Mac would be the most expensive option for the minimal use. You can pick up any PC laptop that will do all those functions just as well as a Mac would. Macs can't do anything that PCs can't, and there are equal (if not better) software components for anything you could want to do on a PC. So, if you are looking to get something just to edit photos on, why would you spend 1000 on a mac laptop when you could spend 300$ on a pc laptop that'll do it just as good?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:55 PM 

EQ1: Golliwog
WoW: Rileigh
xskycrasherx wrote:
Mac would be the most expensive option for the minimal use. You can pick up any PC laptop that will do all those functions just as well as a Mac would. Macs can't do anything that PCs can't, and there are equal (if not better) software components for anything you could want to do on a PC. So, if you are looking to get something just to edit photos on, why would you spend 1000 on a mac laptop when you could spend 300$ on a pc laptop that'll do it just as good?

Well, I was always under the impression that macs were better for photo editing and graphic things then PC's (as I mentioned, I'm still looking into it). Perhaps this has changed in recent years.

I'm also not really sure how to compare a PC with a mac. Like what would an equivalent mac be to a certain laptop? Anyone that could shed some light on that for me? :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:03 PM 
Bridge Dweller

There was a time in computing history when Macs outperformed PCs for some tasks but in this day and age its not really a factor anymore. It's more of a preference than an advantage.

Arguably the #1 photo-editing software is Adobe Photoshop... which runs the same on PCs and Macs. I don't know if you were planning on getting Photoshop... one way or another, but they perform the same.

The problem w/ macs is, they only come in certain configurations, so they're set at an expensive baseline price. Especially the notebooks which are ridiculously expensive for the performance they give. In my experience, I've been able to do all the photo editing, internet surfing, and even WoW playing on a laptop I paid 799$ for from BestBuy. However, if you just want to edit some photos, listen to Winamp or Itunes, and surf the net, a minimal configuration (which Macs don't offer) would be your best route.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:20 AM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

EQ1: Qindyin
WoW: Tgurok
Most IT guys wouldn't mind having a mac.. as long as they didn't pay for it themselves or from their work's budget.

I'd love to have one to dork around with.. same reasons as Leo would like one.

I remember when I was working for @home and I had to go to a house and figure out how to install a network on a mac on the fly. I don't remember if I had to install a NIC or not, but I think I did have to open it up.

This was summer 99 I think, things were different back then.

Offline Profile