It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:45 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I got bored...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:52 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
So I reupped my account this weekend to see what the new patches had brought, and I found out that Belmont has become the "trial" server and was forced off.

The game has become even more wow-like than before.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: I got bored...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:19 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
I thought the game had promise.

They had a big time broken class (Cleric) and applied a band-aid fix that did not address the real issues. Then they went away from the "each class can fill many roles" back to "warrior = tank, rogue = melee dps, mage = range dps, and cleric = heal" set. That wasn't the game I wanted to play.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:27 PM 

It's not a terrible game. They chose a good game to rip off every major feature from, and the spec system is at least fairly innovative.

It's just... boring. That was my complaint before, and it's still my major complaint.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:56 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
I still play daily, and while I see some points being made, some others are a little off base, as in any MMO, having people to play with consistently makes a huge difference, as for tanking, far from the truth, we have a rogue main tank who tanks all of HK for us with no problem what so ever, some fights it better to use a warrior but its not a neccesity.

clerics still need tweeeking a bit, but overall I think RIFT has found its niche and its still far superior to EQ, EQ2, or SWTOR for overall gameplay, and its right on par with WoW IMO.

but to each their own I say

and rogue ranged dps is as good if not better than mage ranged dps, mages have significant advantage in AE dps though, over both rogues and warrior.

as far as melee dps, you will often find as dps warrior in top 2 of dps chart right next to enter rogue, if they know even semi what they are doing and make good macros.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:19 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

It's a good game really. Certainly better than the rest of whats out there right now.

Quote:
Then they went away from the "each class can fill many roles" back to "warrior = tank, rogue = melee dps, mage = range dps, and cleric = heal" set. That wasn't the game I wanted to play.

There isn't any part of that statement that is correct.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:49 PM 

Only level 23 on my cleric, but I can demonstrably prove that I can tank instances.

I don't know about raids or whatnot...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:58 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Rift was a lot of fun to level up, until I reached max level. I had nothing to do, but I was not in a guild so maybe that's what hurt my exp with the game

I loved my mage char tho, and the soul system too. I wish more MMO's followed Rift's lead on that class/spec setup

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:23 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Van - The three tank classes can each tank raid bosses, but each are better on some fights than others. It's a nice balance that makes having a balanced and versatile raid even more valuable. The guild I'm in has a Rogue and Warrior main tank and they alternate responsibilities based on what is being tanked.

Evil - The high end game really does require a guild. Most PUGs, like other MMOs, aren't into helping people learn the raid fights. Not that the fights are too terribly difficult, but that's just the MMO life apparently. It doesn't help the cause for learning that most of the intro raids can be done in about an hour if you aren't having to explain or have wipes based on lack of experience.

For me EQ still stands alone in terms of overall experience and raiding, but Rift is now the closest second I've experienced. Obviously, EQ has an unmatched community and quantity of content so there isn't much point talking about those. The raid fights are hard, but not really punishing. Most are based around a few mechanics that are second nature when you get them down and very few have RNG based wipes. RNG wipes are what really soured me on WoW for the final time. There is way too much luck component in the Cataclysm raids.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:53 PM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
intin wrote:
It's a good game really. Certainly better than the rest of whats out there right now.

Quote:
Then they went away from the "each class can fill many roles" back to "warrior = tank, rogue = melee dps, mage = range dps, and cleric = heal" set. That wasn't the game I wanted to play.

There isn't any part of that statement that is correct.

That attitude wasn't an official statement. However there were posts by Developers that stated that they wanted multiple classes to be able to do most all roles and not be locked into the standard trinity. There was not an official movement to that, in the raid world to get the maximum output that is what it was getting to.

When I left Rift, Warrior tanks were buffed so much that it did not make any sense to have a Cleric Tank. Cleric Tanks had the worst mitigation, lowest HP, Lowest AOE threat, (of the three tank classes) and Cleric Tanks could not tank mana-drain mobs (several of them in Raids). Also when I left one of the top guilds (game-wide) had been using a Cleric as their main raid tank, with all the changes made (again this was at the time) he admitted that it was better for the raid if he didn't tank anymore as the warriors where that much better. Rogues and Clerics could tank, but Warriors made it so much easier.

Also, at the time, Cleric DPS was 30% behind all the other DPS classes. The cry was "Clerics can heal, they don't need to do DPS" Yet if a class spent the vast majority of their points in DPS skills, why shouldn't they be able to do respectable DPS. The developers admitted that there was an issue so they created the "DPS Mien" which did not FIX the real problem, it just put a bandage on it. The problem was that the damage coefficients did not scale correctly with gear for Clerics. Whenever the next tier of gear comes out, Clerics will yet again be at the bottom of the DPS output. It was so bad (before the DPS Mien) that a raid geared Cleric, that was being properly played, was barely doing more DPS than a Mage that was at the baseline for getting access to the raid content.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:51 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
So Drac, what server are you playing on?

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:32 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
Greybriar

Offline Profile