It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:55 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:31 PM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
32 NFL teams and it had to be the fucking Cowboys who pick up my Nephew. I could root for ANY other team, ANY! But I cannot root for the Cowboys.

I am proud of him for even getting a look and the kid was tearing them up in camp. Hopefully he does well tonight in the pre-season game against the Broncos.

My wife is in Dallas this week for work and is going to the game tonight and then out to dinner with him after the game. She really doesn't know jack about football so I can't really get any kind of a critique from her. He's #47 and playing OLB and should get a lot of playing time. I can't get the game here in Indy, if any of you Cowboys fans watch the game, let me know how he does.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:03 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
Cool, I'll try to check it out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:25 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
K will do

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:19 AM 

Looks like the NFL network is airing the game tonight so I can watch it then.

Thanks.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:30 AM 

I was watching the game (until half) and didn't see him in.

I did turn it back for the 4th qtr and saw #47 in there playing Linebacker.

It was cool that he was in the game, kinda sucky that he was playing the first preseason game in the 4th qtr.

I saw him chasing the play, but he always seemed to be a step behind the tackle. There was TD pass completed over him (he was in middle zone coverage, not much he could do on it) and then I saw him on kick coverage where he was running around looking for someone to block.

On the plays that I saw him as outside LB, he was getting a push, but not getting off the blocker quick enough to impact the play. He was controlling his gap good enough, but I didn't see anything to make him stand out. Dallas NEEDS help in the interior (DT's and ILB). If he could play on the inside he might have a better chance of making the team

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:07 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Even I admit that that was pretty a harsh assessment. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:24 PM 

Hey, the kid was dressed out and playing a game for the Dallas Cowboys. As much as I don't like the Cowboys I would still LOVE to have been able to play even a preseason game for them.

They didn't pull him out of the game once he was in there, so he wasn't doing that badly.

Also, I coach lineman and linebackers. I know what I like to see. I thought I commented that he did some things good (gap responsibility, pursuing the play, pushing the blocker, etc) but just noting that he didn't take that next step into what I would look for in a guy trying to make the team. I don't know the kid, have nothing against him, or even know what his skillset may be. He might have been a DE in college and they are trying him at OLB. He looked like he was thinking and not reacting (which is common for undrafted rookies getting their first taste of NFL games). I don't think that he did anything to be cut for, but I think he needs to do more to make the 53 man roster.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:28 PM 

If he is Albright, then this is what Todd Archer is saying:
Quote:
Butler has made a huge leap in his third camp and will be part of Rob Ryan’s sub package defenses. He just has a knack for getting to the quarterback. Brandon Williams has been pretty quiet, which gives Albright a chance to make the final cut. I can see a scenario in which they go with four outside backers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:51 AM 

Thanks for the critique Kirby. He wound up playing last few min of the 3rd and all the 4th and was in on punt teams 2x in the first half.

I definitely agree with the assessment though, he needs to make a few plays to get the coaches eye without a doubt. He definitely needs to play down hill a bit more, like you said he always seemed to be playing catchup and reminded me of that kid who always jumped on the pile after the play was over.

I talked to him after the game and he wasn't too pleased with his performance (if he had gotten 10 tackles and 3 sacks he still wouldn't have been pleased though, just the way he is.) But he says he is having fun and if the Cowboys don't sign him his agent says there are a couple of other teams waiting to pick him up if he gets cut.

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:30 PM 

I get why you don't like the Cowboys, but they would probably be a great team to play for. Great owner, great fans, etc. If I knew someone personally I would not be upset if they played there. There are worse teams that's for sure... then again, maybe he'd have a better shot on a really bad team. /shrug

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:39 PM 

I thought I said that playing in a preseason game for the Cowboys would have been really cool regardless how I feel about the Cowboys.

Yes, playing for them would be light years better than playing for the likes of Cleveland, Cincinnati, Oakland, Buffalo, or Jacksonville. You could thrown St. Louis and or Minnesota to that mix with the uncertainty of where those teams may be in the near future. However the ownership and direction of the five teams listed above is just bad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:33 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
joxur wrote:
great fans,

Well not quite. As a Cowboys fan, I can tell you that Cowboys fans are mostly the lowest common denominator. I know this also applies to literally every other football team, but Cowboys fans are The Worst

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:28 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

EQ1: Xantheus
WoW: Xantheus
Best facilities though, no denying that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:54 AM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

Quote:
Well not quite. As a Cowboys fan, I can tell you that Cowboys fans are mostly the lowest common denominator. I know this also applies to literally every other football team, but Cowboys fans are The Worst

I've heard this said a lot about the Raider fans.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:51 AM 

Xantheus Diabolus wrote:
Best facilities though, no denying that.

Best Stadium, yes. Best facilities? Not so much. They don't even have a team owned indoor practice facility (remember the last one was blown over and seriously injured several staffers two years ago).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:37 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
"Best" and/or "worst" are all a matter of opinion. I think Texans fans are the "worst" in football since they are all fair-weather. As much as I hate the Cowboys, at least you know where their fans stand.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:51 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Fribur wrote:
Quote:

I've heard this said a lot about the Raider fans.

And Eagles fans. To be fair, we're generally ranked as the most "educated" sports fans with regards to the overall knowledge of the sport, but as fans, we're generally total fucking animals. As a player, I'd definitely like to be in a place like Dallas.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:12 AM 

One more Pre-Season game to go then an excruciating 2 day wait to see if he made the roster. He has gotten a lot of press on the different Cowboys blogs and forums and also in the local Dallas media. The kid has played well this summer and I hope he makes the final cut.

Here is a tidbit from one of the sites:

Quote:
Rookie

surprises

Receiver Raymond Radway, cornerback Mario Butler, linebacker Alex Albright and running back Phillip Tanner signed with the Cowboys as undrafted free agents a month ago. With no minicamps and no OTAs (organized team activities), they were the longest of long shots to make the roster, as were all the undrafted free agents. But these four have turned heads from the very start and now are one final good game away from the Cowboys roster. Radway's bid could come at the expense of draft pick Dwayne Harris. Butler could be knocking off draft pick Josh Thomas. Albright might end the Cowboys career of Brandon Williams and Tanner could send Lonyae Miller packing.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/08/31 ... z1Whp0y8eE

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:23 PM 

And he makes the 53 man roster!

New number #55

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:21 PM 

That is great for him. 55 is a good LB number

Offline Profile